1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minimax

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Barry, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Minimax battery power pack / charger

anyone have an opinion on these battery power packs?
    Saw an add on the TV at at cafe the other day and they just seem like a muck better option than jumper leads and a whole heap easier to store than a normal battery pack
    In addition I can charge it from a 12v point and charge my phone etc
    From quick research I am gathering if I jump a car every second day I will burn the battery out but as said, the ease of storing this is much easier

On my last road trip I came across a couple of people in the bush that managed to flatten their batteries. A few places we camped it would have been bloody annoying to realise I had left the light on after a red or 4

Anyway- wondering if anyone has bought one

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I've got a "Hi-Tec" one, and use it on the SC project when needed.

Been good so far. :)

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

I have a porta start ...
    Used it a few times with success.( I was having problems with my battery)
    Saves having to push start or jump start

Good thing I still carry jumper cables though.
    Went camping with another kc member whos Kombi would not start after a wet night.
    Her bus drainned the porta start .
    Got her going with the jumper cables.
    Apparently her bus often is temperamental in wet weather.
    Not sure why ?

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I use a Lithium Ion starter pack……really compact, light & capable of jump starting a diesel truck ( I've done it ).
    Much better than the older jump starter packs that were heavy & bulky.
    A single charge seems to last forever……I've helped a lot of people out with this unit & they're always amazed at the power it packs.
    Not cheap at $200 but worth every cent I reckon.
    Cheers,
    Mark

5. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

Hi Mark,
    been looking at these, the size makes them attractive, it seems you are happy with yours. What brand or type is yours, seen a few at the usual suspects, (Supacheap, Autopro, etc)

Cheers
    Steve

6. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Referring back to Betsy, hard to start after wet weather can amongst a lot of other things be pointing to dirty connections or bad earths. I would be checking the earth strap from the gearbox to the suspension mounting point and the body to the battery, as well as the lead to the starter motor and the connections to the coil. The coil may be worth measuring the voltage at the positive side to see if it is close to 12 v. Checking it when every thing is dry and working will give you a base line, and if it drops when it is wet at least you will have something to aim to rectify to. Water contamination and dirt can also cause leakage across normally high resistance insulators, lowering the voltage where you want it. A good cleanup can do wonders.

Adrian

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

Thanks Adrian will pass this info on to the owner

8. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Used to have a lot of trouble starting mine due to constantly undercharged battery, checked all the normal things such as alteratators coils and so on, eventually replaced the earth strap with a super dooper heavy duty home made strap and have had no trouble since , now on year number 5 with this battery. the strap was made from two plastic coated 10 ml cables joined at each end with solder and clamped to a metal plate then bolted to the body, now heaps of power to the coil {new one} and starts well.Not by any means saying that this the answer to every ones problems but it is a good place to start at.

9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Sorry for the delay Steve…..the unit i have is a "Scorpion", available at Battery World.
    Used again yesterday to get a mate out of trouble…great units & very compact.
    Cheers,
    Mark

10. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

Thanks Mark.