1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minty Breath Kombi.

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by jman, Aug 15, 2007.

1. jman

jman New Member

Here is my story of how I nearly became stranded.

A few weeks back now one evening I was visiting my parents, who live about 50km away from my home. It was late dark and cold and my beautiful bus gave a little pop noise that of never heard before as I fired her to life. I didn't think much of it at the time so I proceeded to head on out the driveway. Seemed to be running a bit odd at mid throttle. Silly me just assumed it was because she was still cold. 500m up the road and was still running rather sluggish. By this time I was a tad concerned and had turned down the stereo. It was when the music lessened that I noticed an air sucking his much louder than the sports chrome filter makes. Another 500m on still driving along, still scratching my head as to what the hell is that extra suck? Why are we going so slow? What was that pop noise? SHIT!

Pulled over near a street light to check it out. "Please be something simple" I said to my self while lifting the engine door.

Ah Ha! There was a little pluggy type thing missing from the back (the bit face you as you open door) of the Pict 30/31 carby. This tiny little thing no bigger than a 5c piece was now nowhere to be seen. Aaaarrrrrgghhh!

Can't just limp home like this she'll be running way too lean. Had to find something to plug that hole to get us home safe and damage free.

I threw myself at the glovebox. There just had to be some odd stray item in there to fit the bill. I did find many, many odd stray item that I daren't mention to a public audience. Just kidding. But I did find a Kool Mint.
    Not your usual emergency engine repair product I know. But that little mint and half a Mountainbike Sticker got us home that night.

I fond a replacement plug for the carby the next day (thanks Andrew)

'Twas a Kool Mint that saved the day.

The end.

Jason Gale.

2. kinga

kinga Member

Nice work MacGyver

3. jman

jman New Member

Kool mint saved the day. is true

Next time I'll tell about the time I had a flat tyre with no spare.
    I fashioned a new tyre from a piece of bubblegum half a roll of gaffer tape and a 12 foot long carpet python.

4. Marty

Marty Active Member

That'd be a neat advertisment for it. And your Kombi had minty fresh breath!

5. hoops

hoops New Member

Top show Kinga, Bring back MacGyver I say. Or dare I say, lets start filming Jman!!!!

Very ingenious Jman I'm out to buy an emergency pack of Minties right now ????

Cheers
    Hoops

6. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

Great ingenuity jman:), I would have just panicked then rang NRMA
    .............Lorraine

7. ModelJets

ModelJets Active Member

Same here Lorraine. I paid for premium in the racq so if that happened I could get 50k's towing for free. Then take a look at the problem later.

8. Organichead

Organichead New Member

Shame it wasn't a life saver, but then again, the hole would have possed a bit of hassel.

9. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Yeh. I probably would have called the NRMA Premium Care as I did the other morning about 1Km from work (35Km from home). At a set of lights I made the comment to Barbara that I think I have gearbox problems. 200 m further on I had no gears and no fluid in the clutch system. A tow to Fyshwick and then on Nick's trailer to his home (Volksparts). Next day found a weep from one of the connection points underneath. Needless to say I wasn't carrying clutch fluid and I couldn't come up with a smart way of filling the sytem with anything to drive on.

10. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

In an emergency (eg stranded in the outback), wouldn't it be possible to temporarily use another fluid? (eg brake fluid or even engine oil?)

Great job, Jason... kool mints and chewing gum will now become vital parts of my toolkit! ;)

11. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

In the outback I always carry brake/clutch fluid. In fact in the camper they are fed from a common source. The clutch is fed higher than the brake so if you lose clutch fluid you still have brakes.

On a local trip I carry most things but sometimes after a long trip I have not replaced all that I have used. In this case the brake fluid. I had used it when I replaced a clutch slave cylinder in the scrub a month or so earlier. In fact that may have disturbed the joiner further up the line that created the leak.

I think engine oil may be too thick but may be worth a try in shear desperation. I carry brake fluid. You can start and drive the vehicle in gear with no clutch but starting my camper with the locking diff was a real challenge. I failed to get it started with no clutch.

12. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

That's quite clever... an early warning system for your brakes! I didn't realise they were the same fluid and system, thanks for the info!

Alice quite likes aircooled T3s, and I admire the later synchros (they seem like fun)... one day (it's always "one day") we'll get one or the other! ;)

So how did you get the camper started? ...did you have to wait for a passerby with fluid?