1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modernised Bay

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Nozza, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Nozza

Nozza Well-Known Member

I live in Melbourne, where we go from 44 degrees in summer to minus 2 degrees in winter.
    I can live with no acceleration, 80k top speed, but need heating and cooling.
    Especially cooling.
    Is it possible to modernise a bay window as a daily driver with modern(ish) comforts?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Jethro likes this.
  2. Luna76

Luna76 Active Member

Heating is standard but often hasn’t been maintained well. Was disconnected on mine when I bought it. Some TLC and can have a good heating system again

There are a couple of aftermarket under dash aircon systems eg.

https://www.gilmore-enterprises.net...ay_window___1968_1979_under_dash_unit/135/170

supplied here currently AUD$3495 not including installation etc.

https://www.autoware.com.au/shop/ac...el-specific/vw/late-bus-bay-window-1968-1979/

There are a few buses with the original optional aircon systems installed, both under dash and an overhead system. Mine has this fitted but is not working, a long term project to get it up and running again!

C1B9C7D9-A4FB-4E29-A86B-4673FF0D9ECA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2020
    Jethro likes this.
  3. Nozza

Nozza Well-Known Member

Do you know if anyone fits them here?
    I can see a lot of "It should have worked" problems there

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Nozza. A Bay can cruize at 100 if it's in good nick. The standard heater also works well if it is complete and maintained. Cooling in questionable? As a Melbornian I make the following observations: Not too many really hot days so have never seen it as a big problem. As long as you are moving the front air vents give you air movement that suffices. If you are stationary it gets a bit close unless you have the fans fitted. Noisy beasts but keep air moving when you are static. Sometimes called Ambulance fans they are mounted in the air ducts. Best improvement to keep you refreshed are vent windows in the front doors. Were available as an option but lots of Kombi's have fixed vent windows. Find some originals if you can. The modern replica are not as well made but do the job. Dress appropriately and smile. Cool!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    oldman, KahunaKombi and Jethro like this.
  5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

12v dash mount fan is used by some ..... various ones available and even dual fans (one each for front occupants).

AC in a T2 or T3 has always been a contentious point as there is a large area that has to be cooled and the majority of systems that were available just couldn't cut it. They are expensive and ones expectations of their efficiency may be greater than the result actually achieved ..... they may take the edge of the discomfort but not total relief.

6. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Luna76 likes this.
  7. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

upload_2020-7-18_10-14-50.png

Attached Files:

MAP77, Jethro, Subdub67 and 5 others like this.
  8. rabidkombi

rabidkombi Member

Hey Nozza,

Have done a Gilmore kit on my splitty and was awesome,did have to modify a few things and also ended up using Vintage speed compressor mounting bracket with a couple of modifications
    Using a type 1 upright engine
    Was a lot of work to make it look nice, neat and professional
    Ed at Gilmore Enterprises is a pleasure to deal with
    Australian Auto Air in Melbourne would be worth talking to if you live in Melbourne to do the installation
    Cheers,
    Pete

Attached Files:

paul77, Squidy and Barry like this.