1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modified 5 speed Subaru transmission into a 2ltr bay

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by rstucke, Sep 5, 2021.

1. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Do the Subaru trans have the crankshaft sitting higher? If so, how we would that affect tinware and carbs etc for the type 4?

2. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

In the last couple of weeks I pulled the motor and transmission out of my kombi and mocked up the subi trans housing attached to a conversion plate and 2ltr set of cases and moustache bar (done this while the subi transmision was in bits) into the chassis.
    The bell housing on the Subaru transision is larger than the 091 trans. For the 2lr to sit in the correct position creates some challenges (but I think do able).
    The bell housing sits closer to the crossmember above it. Can't use the clutch slave cylinder. I'm designing a bell crank arrangement to mount it lower or use existing clutch cable an a bell crank (preferred), not sure yet. The starter motor solenoid fowls the cross member which was almost a deal breaker (I'm not prepared to chop anything)but have found a starter with the solinoid off to one side. Not a direct fit so had to modify the starter flange on the Subaru Bell housing. Will put up pics of the mod in the next few days.
    The Subaru transmission is slightly longer when attached to the 2ltr compared to the 091 box, it must sit closer to the rear beam and needs a small mod to the lower part of the sloped panel which is under the rear seat/r&r bead. Front gearbox mount has also been redesigned to allow the box to sit closer to the beam.
    Because the gear change rod in the box is off to one side, I'll be using a couple of small steering uni joints which I've seen working on a Bay window with a full Subaru conversion (need to think how to not butcher the gear change rod (or swap it out)
    Because the crownwheel is amboid not hypoid (ie. pinion above crownwheel centre) the drive flanges sit lower than the 091 tranny so the CV joints are nearly parallel but works without altering drive shafts (seen on full conversions)
    The throttle cable tube is in the way which I have re-routed
    I've put the the 2ltr and 091 back in Blitz and the re-routed throttle cable, works fine.
    The rest of the conversion will be done when the next engine I am building is ready to go in (next year)

3. tillis

tillis Well-Known Member

you are a brave man...i have been painting my house but soon will do the opposite to you...fitting a VW 094 box to my kombi... yes i realise need to move engine 50mil back but no problem cos i got no cooling tin...so who is the most traitorous to VW purism? you yes VW engine and Suby G,box and me VW box but Holden engine? Ha I,m not losing any sleep over it!

onetrackwonder and rstucke like this.
  4. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Liking the journey here. Reminds me of the hunt for a 3rd and a 1/2 gear for my 091. More easily sorted with an air cooled T3. Cut 20mm from the gearbox mount, move the engine 30mm rear and bolt up an 094. Still 100% VW and loving the 1st gear under drive.

Mordred and rstucke like this.
  5. rstucke

@tillis
    We are both impurests
    Hated by the old guard
    looking for a better experience
    finding performance in technology without showing it
    who cares (I don't). Do what you're gona do
    A big cheers.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    onetrackwonder, Elsie 76 and oldman like this.
  6. rstucke

@tillis
    I've got 2 of those boxes if you need them

7. tillis

tillis Well-Known Member

Thanks but have a good one and the Weddle shift mechanism...cant wait! WP_20210220_001.jpg

oldman and rstucke like this.
  8. rstucke

Modified the flange where the starter sits on the transmission
    The standard Subaru starter fouls the crosmember over the bell housing
    The starter I found that will solve the problem couldn't be modified so modify where it sits on the transmission
    Not an easy Job. Needed to open the access hole from 65mm to 75mm and move it away from the flywheel by 1.5mm
    Made up some special jigs and looks like it worked (won't know till tomorrow when I marry it all up and hit the starter button)
    Anyway you can see how much lower the solinoid is now

42.jpg 44.jpg 41.jpg

9. Elsie 76

Elsie 76 Well-Known Member

My head’s spinning. :confused:

oldman likes this.
  10. rstucke

so is mine

oldman likes this.
  11. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

So is the starter motor.
    PR

12. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

A somewhat off topic question, are the gears on the pinion shaft keyed or fixed to the shaft so they turn when the pinion turns .... therefore spinning the gears on the input shaft, even if the input shaft is stationary?
    The reason I'm asking, I want to flat tow my Kombi but the pinion shaft does not spin the gears themselves, so no oil splash from the gears if the input shaft is not turning and the bearings end up running dry .....

T1 Terry

13. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

What is that replacement starter out of?

14. rstucke

That's a yes Terry but there's a fair bit of oil flogging around on over run with the engine off
    If it was me I would remove or at least disconnect the drive shaft from the wheel axles and tie them up
    If it's a short distance I don't think its's a problem

15. rstucke

BRZ Subaru (later model) or Toyota 86 sports

16. T1 Terry

Not a short distance job and disconnecting the driveshafts means the vehicle can not be moved under its own power, a real problem if reversing is needed at any time.
    Early next yr we are planning a trip to Tassie to do an off grid install, then down to the BIL's place on the side of the Huon Valley and return up he west coast .... so we will need the Kombi to carry the gear as well drive it onto the ferry and off again each side .... costs a lot less than towing a trailer.
    The alternative is to carry on with the planned EV conversion and flat tow Kombi in 4th gear

T1 Terry

T1 Terry

17. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Reconnection isn't that hard if all you have to do is move it a short distance Terry......
    A cordless drill/driver with the correct torx/hex bit will have it moveable in 10 minutes if you're only doing up the wheel ends.
    Just a thought.
    Cheers,
    Mark

18. T1 Terry

Certainly quicker than doing an EV conversion or gearbox swap I guess ......... I'll try a practice run .... I'd need to drop both shafts, the planetary set in the diff wouldn't handle that much of a work out .... maybe later I could look at adapting a dog clutch set up for each shaft ..... but then I'd need to shorten them to fit it in ......

T1 Terry

oldman likes this.
  19. rstucke

David H likes this.