1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More gear selection woes - this time reverse.

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by BrissyGeorge, Apr 6, 2020.

1. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

There is another thread running about this -I didn`t want to hi jack it - my problem is getting reverse - all other gears are easy to select - not so reverse. No matter what I do - stop the engine, foot on or off the clutch, into 1st,2nd,3rd then try reverse - no go. it will eventually go in but it feels like more luck than anything in particular I do. Started a day or so ago.

Should I follow the advice of the other thread or is reverse a bit different

DrowningBitByBit likes this.
  2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

You are depressing he gearstick aren’t you.....?
    Cheers,
    Mark

3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You have problem getting it in reverse or is it popping out of reverse after you have compressed the stick down and across?

4. BrissyGeorge

Mark - definitely pressing down.
    Wayne - can`t get it in, not popping out. (wow, here is an opening for someone with a smutty mind)

5. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Have you replace the front gearshift linkage bush near the front of the lever?

6. BrissyGeorge

Hi Grumble,

No, but are you suggesting that as an option?

7. DrowningBitByBit

DrowningBitByBit Active Member

The front bush is so easy that even I could do it :D
    A $5 and 20 minute job. It's certainly the easiest place to start.

Mordred, David H and oldman like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

It is the first step in the rectification proces

Rear coupling is 2nd step

Mordred and oldman like this.
  9. BrissyGeorge

Well, this morning I learnt a bit. Crawled under and checked out the linkage - its a 73 so it has the normal top bearing for the gear lever and underneath, there is a nylon bearing in the front of the gear lever bearing holder (not sure of the name) This bearing is nylon and about 10mm inside diameter and fits onto a shaft held permanently attached to a bracket ie the shaft rotates on this shaft/bearing.

So...I figure if I replace the bearing that the ball on the bottom of the gear lever fits into it will remove any slop there PLUS force me to re do the adjustment of the plate etc when reinstalling the gear lever.
    Underneath I noticed that there was a bit of slop in the bearing that the shaft rotates on (mentioned previously) so I will replace that too. QUESTION = The shaft to the gearbox will need to be moved back about 4-5cm to do this - can I just undo the rear coupling to do this?

That's 2 bearings - is there a third - is there one for the shaft as it goes back to the gearbox? If so where is it and how do I replace it.

But wait, there`s one more question - when I replace these bearings, should I leave them dry or should they be lubricated, and if so, what with?

Thanks for the help so far

10. Wayne murray

To replace the plastic sleeve (bearing) There should be a connection in the shaft in center of car behind the front wheels. It has a grub bolt with about 8mm spanner needed to undo it.Which also has a hole in it which should have wire going through it to stop the bolt undoing. Take the wire out (if there) and undo the bolt and then the shaft should be able to move back enough to replace the plastic bearing which is in side the end of the front shaft section. Of course the gear stick needs to be out to move front shaft back and out. In the shaft from the rear has a tapered cone shape hole which when you see the bolt tip it locates into the cone shape hole.
    There are two more plastic shuttle cocks along the other section of shaft,but the engine and gearbox needs to be removed to be able to slide the gear selector shaft out.To then replace them.

Mordred, tintop and David H like this.
  11. David H

David H Well-Known Member

So @Wayne murray . Just undo the middle coupling & that will give the freeplay necessary to do the front bearing//sleeve;)?
    Cheers

12. Wayne murray

@David H In the 73 model going be what was mentioned with a 10mm bush /bearing which is inside the end off the front shaft,with a pin sticking out that the body housing which supports the front shaft. Where in later years like yours the bush/bearing is in the body housing for what the front shaft goes through on the car . They are basically opposite way around,to where the bush/bearing is sitting on the car and yes the bushes are different ,so is the front shaft.

David H likes this.
  13. David H

Sorta makes sense in the reverse sense;).
    Cheers

14. Wayne murray

When I get my photos up and going again, I'll put some so you can see the difference.

15. David H

I'd appreciate that;).
    Cheers

16. BrissyGeorge

Ok........... so its over to Micks today for the two front bearings - great Easter job (an essential trip as I use Mr K for work) - might also replace the plate seeing as everything will be out.

Any thoughts on what lubricant to use?

Thanks everyone for their help - esp Wayne

17. Wayne murray

I would use a wheel bearing grease.

tintop likes this.
  18. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

9 times out of 10 this is the problem with gearshift problems the 2nd most common is adjustment of the stick position, it is rare for internal problems in the box but they are getting older now like most of us mechanics who grew up working on them.

David H and oldman like this.
  19. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

I had just that problem in the back streets of Brisbane after driving all the way from Wollongong NSW. I had replaced the rear coupling before I left and had replaced all the other bits along the way over the mths previous. Problem turned out to be a loose locating bolt in the rear coupling I had just replaced, seems that tie wire is there for a reason :oops:

T1 Terry

tintop likes this.
  20. BrissyGeorge

picked up the parts a little while ago - Mick is really taking this social distancing seriously. No counter sales - no entry to the shop. For a sale, you must ring up and order and pay by credit card. Once you arrive at Micks, you must stay in your car and ring them. Someone will take your pick up your order unlock the door and place it on the ground just outside the door. Then you can get out of your car and collect it and off you go - probably worried about all the T3 drivers - those of us with a bay are pretty clear;)