Motor rebuild, or....

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by bruce hh, Jun 23, 2018.

1. bruce hh

bruce hh Member

I realise that few, if any, of you have experience with this motor / box combo in your T3's, but I'm undecided what to do about the probable need for work on my van's motor in the near future (110000 miles, oil consumption, slight weep from head, little service history).

Not yet owned a year, and not travelled all that far, but I'm happy enough with the "performance" of the DG with 4 speed and carby in both commuting and touring. (No previous T3 ownership, so maybe it's partly that I don't know what I'm missing.)

Do I try to get it rebuilt, or do I try to bring it up to local spec by buying all the wiring, injection, motor and box? Or do I go the Subaru route, which will also require engineering certification, more wiring, and should I keep the 4 speed box or go 5 speed or auto if I go Subaru?

Positive points for the DG 4 speed - runs on 91, none of the aging fuel injection system problems. Negative - some things that will never be "in stock" locally, or likely to be stocked in any of the US suppliers.

I'm not after a show pony, and although I appreciate originality I'm not desperate to maintain it.

What would you do?

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

The fact that it is a carby set up I would think the easiest would be the suby route.

You get a whole wiring harness anyway

You can start collecting pieces slowly
    Pretty sure there is a set up or 2 for sale here

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The 4 speed is a stronger box and will last longer with a Subaru conversion. Just get ratios to suit.

Syncro27 likes this.
  4. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

As you mentioned getting p[arts for an old carby fed DG would be difficult.

However I think there was a lot of them in the UK so Just Kampers VW Heritage may still be able to get parts?

5. bruce hh

bruce hh Member

Thanks for the feedback.
    Have decided to get the DG rebuilt by Conti.

6. sunburntwilly

sunburntwilly Member

I have 2 running t3s one has a subaru motor and is by far the cheapest to run, easy by 2thirds the distance on a tank. But I do appreciate vw motor, it has a charm about it lost on the suby motor. Also I would most definitely keep the 4 speed over the 5 speed. Hate dog leg first in the 5spd and the final drive is the same anyway.
    Ok good luck with the rebuild.
    Bob

Syncro27 likes this.
  7. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

Agree about how nice the 4 speed is to use compared to the 5 speed. Had my 5 speed for 2 years now and still dont like the 1st gear location and shift to 2nd gear.
    If, (I'm assuming Bob's post above is correct) the 4 and 5 speed have the same final drive I see little point in having a 5 speed coupled to a suby.. especially if the 4 speed is stronger.