1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mount Frankin, Daylesford, Victoria

Discussion in 'Victoria' started by JohnC, Sep 5, 2007.

1. JohnC

JohnC New Member

Hi KC,
    This is one of our favorite camping spots. It's qiuet large and heaps of shade, just 10.2kms outside Daylesford at Mount Frankin, you camp in the crater of an extinct volcano, if you see the ranger he may ask you for a small $ amount for camp fees but he did not ask when we have been there. There is no power or showers, but has a pit toilet and go for a walk and gather heaps of firewood (it's a good idea to bring a axe).
    And bring fruit for the possums, at night they will come up close to you for a piece and it a good idea to secure your food if you leave it out to stop them from raiding it.:)
    Everyone that camps there seems to be friendly too.
    The GPS location is S 37.27477 E 144.14734 if this helps.

Cheers
    John

2. Trav&Ren

Trav&Ren Member

Can't agree more. I didn't camp on Mount Franklin when I was there 6yrs ago but absolutely loved visiting. You can drive to the top and walk all over the mountain just exploring.
    It would be perfect to visit now that it is spring.

3. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I'll have to give it a go when I am next in the area. I have camped at other State parks down that way and they have been pretty damn good. Vic seems to have a lot to offer in that respect.

4. Wodewick

Wodewick New Member

This area is my old stamping ground. I grew up in Daylesford and went to school with all the kids from the farms surrounding Mt. Franklin. As kids we used to camp in there all weekend Playing comando etc. I have heard that the rangers do move you on if they find you camping in there, but they dont check to often. It is a popular spot for the grey nomads to stop overnight in their motorhomes. It is an interesting and beautiful spot [ especially in Autumn] But is ok all year round because it is very sheltered in the crater. It would make a great cruise destination for team melb. I think we should put it up . regards Rod.

5. the invisible smith

the invisible smith New Member

Beautiful spot Daylesford.
    My wife's Uncle and Aunt used to own the Chocolate shop there.

6. frog1953

frog1953 New Member

Is there any restriction on fur children, we have two chihuahuas and they travel everywhere with us.

7. Wodewick

Wodewick New Member

Frog, Should be OK, it isnt a National Park. regards Rod.

8. Wodewick

Wodewick New Member

I dont think it has any real significance except that it was a volcano. The crater is full of European trees and when I was young they had a pine plantation over it. When they harvested them they had a couple of bad accidents because it was so steep, and so they didnt replant. One of my best mates was the Forestry officer in charge at the time. Rod.

9. Trav&Ren

Trav&Ren Member

Just as an update on the Mount Franklin camping situation Parks Victoria list Mount Franklin as a designated camping area with toilets and washing water.
    Check out the following link for Parks Victoria's Visitor Guide and maps of the area:
    http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources05/05_0339.pdf

Also the following link is to an interesting article on the history of the extinct volcano, surroundings and native people:
    http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources/22_2179.pdf

It's a perfect drive-in campsite for Kombis and how often can you say you've camped in the caldera of a volcano?

10. Phat Bug

Phat Bug Member

The Bendigo and Ballarat Volkswagen clubs have enjoyed camping at My Franklin together over the last couple of years, we've just got home from another wonderful trip there! I only took a couple of pics.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All up there was 10 or so kombis & 30 odd people enjoying a wonderful weekend together.
    Next year I'll post in advance so any Kombi club folk can come and join in :)

11. wobneb

wobneb Member

i also grew up in bendigo and would camp there alot over weekend with friends... its an awesome spot and have great memories there. there is so much to do in the area also! teh daylesford market on a sunday is also really good if thats what your into.