Mounting number plates

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Necro, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Necro

Necro Active Member

Hmmm at this late stage I am worrying how I will mount the front number plate...

Any one have any ideas how you do it with a deluxe rubber strip on the bumper...?

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

If you've got a "deluxe rubber".... there are better things to mount, than a number plate, surely...:rolleyes:

:eek:

OK, that was less than helpful......... I'll get my coat.

3. Necro

Necro Active Member

Agreed Grantus...doesn't help my dilemma other than a nice three hour distraction though.....:rolleyes:

4. Royce

Royce Active Member

I would use industrial double sided tape. That's what Volkswagen did when I bought Karma and it is a great idea. If you want to take them off, you just use a hairdryer. That way, no screw holes.....Get the good stuff though! I can send some 3M stuff that I have that is used to mount windows in high rises. Guaranteed to work!

5. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

My plates sit under the black rubber strip but thats only ok if you are not lowered.

6. Kombipete

Kombipete Member

two holes just above deluxe rubber to mount plate to bumper. Use very long stainless screws with a spacer (i used some slightly large diammeter nuts). Number pate then sits straight

7. Kombi Kiwi

Kombi Kiwi Member

I use the same set up as kombipete. Long screws and spacers. Works sweet

8. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

I dont have any delux rubber - but coathanger wire holds my front plate on :eek:
    I should realy do something about that one day.

9. mitchellgolds

mitchellgolds Member

I dont have the deluxe rubber or number plates (yet) but like Melissa said, I too will be going on the lower half of the bumper.
    Anywho, to try and help you further, if you aren't going too low or have the option of a slimline plate (thats what they are called in qld) and dont want to drill unnecessary holes in the bumper, you might be able to mount hangers on the rear of the bumper and the plate bolts to them underneath. However that might be too low even on a stock height bus?

10. Grantus

Now if the wire is loose enough to act as a hinge, the plate should hang nicely when parked, but fold up out of the way over 60kmph - ideal for speed cameras! :lol:

11. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

If you get a slim line plate they are about the same height as the bumper. Cut some tube to space out from the rubber strip and looking gut!

12. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Looks like Im busted now :eek:

13. mitchellgolds

mitchellgolds Member

This is how the front number plate is setup on my dad corvette, although not with wire ;) It's just a pity most fixed speed cameras get you from behind.

14. Alice in Kombiland

Alice in Kombiland Well-Known Member

This doesn't help at all...but I was quite sh*tty at Woz. When I brought him $300 numbers plates for christmas and he didn't want to hurt the kombi so he hammered new holes into the number plates... :lol:

15. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Woz the Vandal!

16. Grantus

Fixed one yes, but you tend to know where they are....coz they're fixed.

But we have "portable" Mercedes Vito Vans here in the ACT that park at random locations and photograph the front plate...;)

17. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Ramset gun??????

18. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Sorry Necro. People tell me I have a very 'dry' sense of humour, but I'm not sure what they mean:umm:

19. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

I decided to use the existing holes in the kombi rather than drill more - but if I had known about the industrial double-sided tape then I would definitely have used it! :umm:

20. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Dave here is a photo of Igor with his number palte mounted over the deluxe bumper trim - the number plate is attached to a made up bracket that sits out just past the edge of the rubber and has a right angle bend to achieve this then another right angle bend to sit flush with the bumper metal then screwed on to hold it in place - hope that makes sense but if not will try to get another pic of it for you.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018 at 2:32 PM