Mounting number plates

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Necro, Mar 9, 2010.

1. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Reviving this old thread as I too am looking to mount my front number plate (slim line 84mm x 372mm) on a late bay bumper with the rubber moulding.

The current options I am considering at this point are:
    1) CURRENT PREFERRED OPTION - Mount the plate directly in front of the moulding
    - a) using spacers with holes drilled just above the moulding, OR
    - b) with some kind of bracket;

2) Mount the plate straight to the bumper below the rubber moulding (i.e. it's going to stick out below the bottom of the bumper).

Anyway .... you guys have been here before so do you have any pics you can post of the finished product?

Also ... what's the recommendation re bolting vs screwing the plates on.

Cheers

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Tick;). & screws as it's impossible to get nuts behind the bar unless bar is off the car.
    Cheers

3. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Took off bumpers and put screws thru from back. Lock washers and nut to lock in place. Then held plates with stainless dome nuts from the front. Neat!
    This was with the slim line plates. Now have classic plates which are normal big size.

OSF likes this.
  4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Just leave them in the glovebox to show to the “Boys in Blue”, if you get pulled over, and explain you’ve not yet decided on the best way to mount them. ;)

Will save a heap of camera based toll and speeding fines.......:p

David H and OSF like this.
  5. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I have a slim line plate for the front now too. Also have the microbus rubber moulding so used allen key button head bolts with a nyloc nut behind, another nyloc nut against the outside of the bumper and another nyloc in behind. Took the bumper off obviously. Fixed at all 4 corners so really well held.

Adrian

6. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

frontplate.jpg topplate.jpg overplate.jpg

Sorry can't tell you what screws were used as Scott put them on for me. Next plan is a number plate cover.

OSF and Syncro27 like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

why not 2 simple "L" brackets that mount on the underside of your bumper.
    Adjust it so as it just supports itself against the rubber strip
    Then you wont have any holes in the front of the bumper

David H likes this.
  8. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I like Barry's option especially for the larger plates. With the smaller ones the button head screws with allen key heads look less obtrusive and if you have an "attractive" personal plate makes it harder to remove. Rivets aren't really an option when you have the rubber strip. Can be harder with the larger plates as you have to mount very close to the edge of the bend in the bumper.

kombi plate.jpg

Adrian

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

If you do it low it will definitely get trashed.
    Spaced like Adrian's or Mel's would be my choice.

Couple of holes and screws centre of rubber with a good goop of sika on cleaned rubber strip might work. ??;):rolleyes:

10. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I used a strip of aluminum I bought from Bunnings, bent it in my vice and drilled it for offset to allow my small vintage plates to fit.

Works well and keeps the plate away from the front bar and does not require extra bumper bar hole drilling.
    [​IMG]

11. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

4 hex nuts used as spacers and long self tappers did the trick me - top of plate above rubber trim but still below bumper
    image.jpeg

Grantus and Syncro27 like this.
  12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Still reckon the glovebox is the safest place to not get them stolen or damaged, and keep them looking like new.......:rolleyes:

Syncro27 likes this.