Must see things in Tas???

Discussion in 'Tas' started by ozeddie, Dec 29, 2009.

1. ozeddie

ozeddie New Member

The GF and I are going to Tas in a rented camnper van:( :eek: :cry: as it's too far for Klaus, (within the time frame :D )We plan to do the whole island and have 13 days.

So my question is what are the MUST things to see and do in Tasmania?

2. kombiwomble

kombiwomble Active Member

Hmm as a local to the south of the island.... It depends in your interests.....

Port Arthur is always worth the trip..convict ruins..also the wildlife cruise from down that way (need to book)
    East coast is a nice drive and plenty of luscious beaches.
    West coast is a rugged and mostly unspoilt.
    North West... Tazmazia.... outdoor hedge mazes (out of Sheffield) and Cradle Mountain of course.......

Basically there are heaps of options ......

3. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Freycinet National Park on the east coast is a must. Very scenic and great beaches. Drive in via Swansea. Nice little beach town with loads of history.

In Hobart got to do the Salamanca market and Mount Wellington.

4. TasDeb

TasDeb New Member

Tas favourite spots

Where are you starting from, Hobart or Launcestn? Up North East I love Tomahawk great for an overnighter in the local caravan park. Free camp spot that is supurb is Derby you can free camp on the river in town at the local park with electricity plugs, electric bbq's and nice grassed shady spots the river is good for a swim if it is hot and if you keep your eye out up under the bridge you might spot a platypus or 2. Great little town, nice cafes and the pub is a clasic the publican and his wife are a scream. East Coast of course is a must see there are some excellent free camping spots including Bay of Fires just out of St Helens you camp on the beach under sheaoak trees expect crowds of campers this time of year though. You can free camp in St Helens for an overnighter at the Marina where they have flushing toilets and a hot shower you are welcome to use also electric bbq's in a rotunda. St Helens is a great town very relaxed nice cafes and pub the caravan parks arent much good though pretty big by Tassie standards and not in very good places. My ultimate favourite spot is a secret I was up there for Christmas for a couple of nights and there are too many people finding out about it so I am reluctant to disclose it here send me a pm and I just might be persuaded to meet you there if you promise to keep it a secret it is paradise no matter what the weather. ;)

5. tar76

tar76 New Member

From a gardening point of veiw, a must would be the Botanical Gardens, and see were Peter Cundell spent all those years growing and working in his vegie patches. I've never been but it is on the to do list! A spot of surfing also.

6. GusW

GusW New Member

Although I rarely venture away from the coast when it comes to a road trip, I loved Cradle Mountain and Lake St Claire. The Bay of fires and Frecenet was beautiful too.

7. mannmade

mannmade Member

MUST go to the cadbury factory. lots of cheap chocolate

8. Joels73 Panel

Joels73 Panel Active Member

How about Somerset? :) plenty of kombis

9. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Once you are down there you will find there is just so much to see. We spent a month down there and could not possibly see it all. Some of my favourite places were in the high country up around Inverlochy, Cradle Mountain, Stanley, Georgetown, The East coast (all of it) and the drive up from Hobart to Launceston. Just too much for a month. We camped out most of the time and must go back. We were advised by some Tassie leaders at a Scout Jamboree that the best time to visit was about February. After the Christmas rush and the weather would be great. They were correct with only one day of rain in that month. Before Christmas they say you can still get snow which can be a challenge if your camped out. We would probably cope as we have camped in the snow. Anyhow enjoy the trip, we did and must go back.

Ian

10. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Just done cradle mountain and Zeehan. Fantastic Museum at Zeehan. Well worth it. Sheffield is lovely. Strahan and book a cruise up the river definitely. Book b4 important. Lime Bay on the Peninsular (southeast). Tazmazia. Lived here 40 years and still am finding things Ihaven't seen.

Adrian

11. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

The Apt railway from queenstown to strahan was good tho a bit pricey, the regular tickets are just as good at the premier tickets in my opinion inless you really want to spend your dough.

12. understanding_mercury

understanding_mercury Member

Your allowing yourself a good length of time - lots of people come here and try to drive around in a week and lament they didn't realise Tassie was so big!

13. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes I would agree. It is a lot bigger than you think and there is lots to see.

Adrian