1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 1969 Bay Microbus project - almost finished!

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by jb4845, Jan 14, 2006.

1. blu bay jay

blu bay jay New Member

yeah looking good, keep it coming

2. jb4845

jb4845 Member

Definitely time for a bit of an update - getting close to finishing and rego now!

Some of you might have seen this in another thread
    [​IMG]

For those that didn't - it is an engine lift specially designed for the VW motor! Where did I get it - now there starts a story.

Got reading on the 'net about using a hydraulic motorcycle lift to raise the engine into place and after figuring out the expense of purchasing one for hopefully a one-off event was too much I got to thinking of who I know that might have one I could borrow.

Having only moved to the area about 3 years ago I am still getting to know folk, but one guy loosely connected to a soccer team I play in rides dirt bikes so I thought I would ask him - unfortunately he had no idea of what I was talking about - But he understood what I needed it for and then said "But you have asked the right person - my Dad was a VW mechanic and owned the local wreckers years ago - he still has some stuff in his garage - I'll ask him"

A few phone calls later and I am around at his old man's house, coincidentally less than 1km from my house, picking up this engine lift, plus an engine trolley, and looking a veritable Aladdins Cave of old VW bits - No problems borrowing flywheel locks, clutch fitting tool, getting missing bits of tinware, correct fuel pump rod, etc - so I was a very happy boy - if only I knew he was there a few years ago! The lift is a solid bit of gear - cable operated - looks to have been built in Australia specifically for VW mechs - quite unique I imagine.

Engine stand in use as I start the build on the Mexican motor
    [​IMG]

Pretty much all there
    [​IMG]

Close up of alternator, dissie, coil, etc
    [​IMG]

3. jb4845

jb4845 Member

Using that engine lift for some help with the gearbox
    [​IMG]

Then what she was meant for
    [​IMG]

And after a bit (read..lot) of careful manoevring the engine was home
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have done more since then but need to get the pics off the camera - will try to get them sorted in the next week

JOSH

4. .Wez.The.Bay.

.Wez.The.Bay. New Member

Looking good..:D
    Alex..

5. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Looking good. Having just dropped the motor out of the 77 double cab I am jealous of the removable panel. Pity they changed from that design.

6. jb4845

jb4845 Member

OK - a few more update snaps for you folk

Finished off stuff around the engine - tidied up wires, fitted valance and rear bumper (which needs some adjusting once splashguards are in)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got the rear engine hatch on, which I was a bit worried about as I had some probs getting the original screws out, but it went together nicely

[​IMG]

7. jb4845

jb4845 Member

[​IMG]

Then rolled it out into the sun to check the engine and gearshift adjustment - didn't want it trying to drive through the back of the garage!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have since taken it for a short drive down the road, and it went well, but was noisy as no windows in the drivers side at the time

Still need to do a few things to get it finished for rego, including sunvisors, interior mirror and ???? - but it will be ready within a week or so - hopefully with my new plates - in time for Old Bar - yippeeee

8. redhotchilliwilli

redhotchilliwilli New Member

hay josh . bloody beautiful . was thinking of missing old bar this year ,however may just have to make it, just to have a looksy at this fantastic bus . every time i see this thread it inspires me . you must be stoked .
    rhcw

9. beerdoc

beerdoc Active Member

Nice

Good choice of colours for engine Black and bling

10. Volksaddict

Volksaddict Member

very very Noice ..great thread

11. Leroy

Leroy New Member

Oh man... Thats what dreams are made of! Gota love a sweet early lowlight:cool:

12. davidp.

davidp. Member

Hi,
    Love the colour...Fantastic work.
    How clean does that engine bay look?...you could et your dinner off it!
    Congratulations...nearly all done.
    Cheers,
    David
    :)

13. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Congrats Josh...bloody spectacular mate.:) What a great example
    Steve

14. jb4845

jb4845 Member

Alright - I no longer have the van :eek:

It's around at the mechanics getting a final tune and rego inspection - yippee :D

Thanks for the positive words folks - it has been a 3 year labour of love (with some hate thrown in at times) - I will get some snaps once it is done

JOSH

15. Kombi of Hope

Kombi of Hope New Member

I am speechless - what a fantastic job you've done Josh. For someone who professes to have no knowledge or expertise, you have done an amazing job. I have only just found this thread and have now burnt the dinner coz I got so engrossed! What a stunner. I love the colour scheme, especially the trim. That red is beautiful. I don't know much about engines, except for wanting them to be reliable and to get me from A to B but yours looks the beez kneez! 3 year labour of love - it shows in every picture! I can already imagine the smile on your face when you get to drive your van for the first time legally on the road - I hope to see you soon around Newy. Where shall we look out for you?

16. jerrys_bus

jerrys_bus Active Member

She looks great Josh,

look forward to seeing her in the flesh

Hope all goes well with the rego inspection

17. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

Lovin' it!

Have just gone back and re-read the whole thread.

Great work Josh - good luck with Rego!

Cheers

18. blu bay jay

blu bay jay New Member

nice lowering job too, not too low....just nice!

19. Kombirod

Kombirod New Member

Very slick mate, great look.

love that stance!

20. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Schweet :) now for final pics with rego'd