1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 72 DC jigsaw puzzle

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Wayne murray, Jul 6, 2016.

1. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

yeh your misunderstanding me.
    I bought mine black and that's how I fitted them.
    Not many people bend over that far to look.
    So black is the new green

2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

yeah got you know I thought I was reading it wrong.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  3. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

I really don't think so

4. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Wayne your work is so immaculate!! Love your attention to detail, not many would research the original colour of their shocks, reminds me of my father's Ford resto's!! Keep the posts coming, like reading a good novel!

Wayne murray likes this.
  5. Wayne murray

Starter motor went on and connected cables that are needed on the starter motor. New Power cable that goes from the Positive on the battery run it through the chassis to the starter motor. New Earth strap on the transmission
    585.jpg 586.jpg
    Engine side with the power cable coming through the chassis cross rail. Know what side is the positive and negative meant to be on Battery,as my 72 Kombi the postitive is on the left side of battery and the 76 Single cab Ute is on the right:confused:. This being a 72 and a Ute:confused:
    587.jpg

Syncro27, OSF and tintop like this.
  6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Just make cables long enough to reach either end & use braille (feel the plus/minus) for terminal decision;).
    Looking great Wayne:cool:.
    Cheers

7. tintop

tintop Active Member

mmm, I've only ever seen positive behind the tail light and negative near the wheel well with a short earth strap

8. Wayne murray

I was asking the question because my 76 Single cab Ute has the battery terminals as you mentioned and the terminals are closer to the body side of the battery.
    On the other 72 kombis in the garage they are the other way around positive on the left and the earth strap on the right and with a short strap grounding the battery to the floor of the battery tray,which has a fixed nut to the underside of the tray. It is a factory nut as there are a few others on the car that are the same square shape nut.
    Being a 72 ute I wasn't sure which way it would go,it probably wouldn't matter but I do like correct details of the simplest of things.

I've added the positive cable which is new and it is able to reach both points of the battery as you have mentioned ,so it is able to go either way. I don't know about brailleo_O don't want to light (spark it up) :eek: ,Make a fizz out of it all.:( with spiky hair:eek::oops: It is my OCD kicking in:confused:

David H likes this.
  9. Wayne murray

It has been over 6 months that I've been trying to find a headliner that is close to original as possible,that is white with perforated and fake black dots on the same material type. I was put onto a bloke in Hamburg Germany ,that owns a kombi and wanted the same details as I did. He worked out the spacing and pattern of the dots on a printer with plain paper.(While I was working out how much I need in relation to direction it would be laid up and made.) Once he was happy with that he printed the headlining off through the printer (big printer) Once that was done he marked up the rest of the plain material which he took to a company to do the perforations in the material. This process took about 4-6 weeks then it was posted which took 4 weeks but it arrived today,yeapie:D:D. I got enough material to do the roof twice just in caseo_O as if anything went wrong (hopefully not) I have enough to cover it .As to order more it would take another 10 weeks to get it done. Results below
    588.jpg
    Printed holes on the left and perforated on the right. It is deceiving the black dots over the perforated as the perforated you can see through which doesn't show up the depth ,like the printed black dots. I'm happy:D any way and it will be going in as soon as the trimmer is know available to do it.
    589.jpg

Syncro27, kombiing, Grantus and 3 others like this.
  10. Wayne murray

I haven't done much in the last week. As business open up again,I've been doing a bit of chasing for parts and things to be done.
    First was to get a company to look at my wind up glass and 1/4 glass to see if the scratches could be polished out. I was advised there was too many and on both sides so they wouldn't do it.
    So I wrapped up the glass and organised a company in Melbourne to completely remake the curved wind up and 1/4 window glass. Same way as it was originally made,one of the only companies in Australia that still can make curved toughened glass.
    I've organised some parts for the accelerator cable which are on there way. So I've really only managed to get the clutch cable on. I've found all the parts needed to do the CV as well. Of course you can't forget the dam weather has also put a bit a heat on the situation,stopping work earlier then normal.
    591.jpg 592.jpg 595.jpg

Jethro, OSF, David H and 1 other person like this.