1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 72 DC jigsaw puzzle

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Wayne murray, Jul 6, 2016.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

I need help Wayne;).
    So far I've got the barrels, pistons & rings are 'friends' (mated) but how does the ring position change stuff per barrel? Are you looking at the gap in the ring & where it's located in relation to the valves? Gap best away from exhaust valve?
    And why do barrels have a preferred location?

Cheers for us non educated engine rebuilders! Could you expand this pls?

Esp the bit about "into it's barrel to suit it's final location in configuration to which cylinder it is going to be (IE 1,2,3,4)"

Thanks for any help in understanding.

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

When you get a new set of barrels and pistons,each barrel and piston can go into any location (ie 1,2,3,4). When I open the box I mark the box as if it was a engine block and on that box I mark long side each barrel 1,2,3,4 and where the flywheel is. To look down on the box say have the fly wheel on your left side next barrel closes to you is 3 then 4. furthers from you is 1 then 2.
    I put a mark on a fin of each barrel ie 1,2,3,4 .each barrel has a flat section which go together when it is assembled in the engine.
    When you take the piston out of it's barrel ,do all the checks you put the gap of each piston at 4 o clock and 8 o clock .You basically don't want the gaps of your rings to line up,as if you did it would be easier for the pressure in the combustion chamber, able to by pass the rings.(losing compression on the firing point)In the top ring which has a chamfer as the piston reaches the top of it's stroke the pressure seals the ring against the barrel before the spark ignites the fuel mixture. the second ring has a shape edge on the engine side,so when the piston travels back towards the engine it scraps the oil of the inside of the barrel on the engine side of the piston.
    When you put the piston back into the barrel it has an arrow on it,which should point towards the flywheel. As the gudgeon pin in the piston is offset to which reduces the noise or piston slap.As the piston gets pushed out towards the head and changes direction to come back the piston has to rock as it changes direction Ie where the piston would slap the barrel. So the offset on the piston to relation to the gudgeon pin reduces this ,compared to if it was in the center would be greater.Think of it as your fist is the piston keep it in a straight line move it in and out as you change direction your wrist is the back of the piston rotating on the gudgeon pin. Conrod where the gudgeon pin goes through is also offset on a type 1 motor.As they are offset in relation to where they leave the block. So the arrows are one way for the rotation of the engine so it best suited to reduce the noise of piston slap. That's the best way I can explain it for you.Hope you can understand it.

Mordred, grumble, David H and 2 others like this.
  3. David H

Thanks Wayne.

4. Wayne murray

The muffler is on,this is a original 72 only muffler ,cost a packet to buy plus postage cost from Netherlands. Pay for what you want,being an original it fitted really well,only one connection on the right hand side pre heat pipe was out a little and a bit of heat fixed that.
    835.jpg
    Clamps to the heat exchanges.
    834.jpg
    Exhaust clamp is a beetle clamp,I couldn't find the original kombi exhaust clamp,until a few days later of fitting it. Kombi clamp is hinged at the bottom and has only one bolt holding the clamp together instead of the two bolts.
    836.jpg 839.jpg

KahunaKombi, OSF, Elsie 76 and 9 others like this.
  5. Wayne murray

Engine is off the engine stand and put onto a trolley, so the final pieces can be added to the engine before it can be put into the car.
    The distributor,coil leads,vacuum hose and fuel pump have been put on.
    842.jpg 841.jpg
    The tinware that goes onto the engine block and wraps around to the front of the cylinder tinware put on.Tinware that is needed for a type 1 motor in a later kombi
    840.jpg 844.jpg
    View from the rear of the engine,with the accelerator metal tube,that goes through the doghouse to out the back ,as you can see below and clutch and pressure plate bolted on.
    845.jpg 846.jpg
    Final view pieces of tin ware that expel the hot air out the back of the motor. I've added foam to seal of the joints and some joints do came with rubber as well
    847.jpg
    Engine is ready to go in now.

Elsie 76, OSF, TeeBee and 9 others like this.
  6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Ready to roll to Bus Stop at Easter...... with a swag in the back? :rolleyes:

onetrackwonder, OSF and Aspudis like this.
  7. Wayne murray

I like to take it,still wasn't 100% sure whether I finish it when I booked 9 months ago ,I'd got a pet cabin,taken my tiger along.
    The swag thought was there more for a possible old bar trip.

onetrackwonder likes this.
  8. Grantus

I guess by “tiger” and pet cabin, you are taking your feline with you? :rolleyes:

If so, Wow, I’m impressed!

Ours travel reluctantly 20- 30 minutes to the boarding “resort” at times. I can’t imagine them happy on a long road trip. o_O

Wayne murray likes this.
  9. Wayne murray

Your correct my cat,which I call a tiger as he is quite large for a domestic cat by the vets anyway. He has travelled before when he was young,but not this distance or time.So not sure how he will go. Short distances he isn't normally to bad in a cage but that distance I was planning on a harness,which he is used to but connected to a seat belt for a bit of freedom.Which I think will suit him better.
    Most things doesn't fazed him to much, I've even taken him to pet barn and he just walks around the shop.Even at the vets he walks straight out of his cage,instead of the dismantling of the cage to get them out.I think he will go alright.hope

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Elsie 76, OSF, TeeBee and 2 others like this.
  10. Grantus

We had a Burmese, which started travelling in vehicles as a kitten, and was so relaxed it would just happily sit and watch the world go by, or sleep on the back parcel tray.

Friends also had a Birman, that would happily travel 5 hours each way, to their holiday house, so yes, many cats do car travel quite happily.

Ours current Ragdolls, have not done the early life car travel training, so they are not “happy little vegemites”, when the need to move happens.

Wayne murray likes this.
  11. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

And if you put the pistons in back to front you know straight away from the noise and start again.

David H and Wayne murray like this.
  12. Wayne murray

That's for sure,didn't what to thing about that.For a beginner.:rolleyes:

grumble likes this.
  13. David H

5 reads & I finally got it:(:p. Thanks for the post:D & Les also;).'The ring lap position in relation to the valves (esp exhaust) makes sense' to non engine rebuilders.
    Cheers

Elsie 76 likes this.
  14. Wayne murray

It's good when good plans work,just not the best of days to have planned it. To damn hot to be putting an engine into a car, that hasn't had one for 4-5 years. It went in reasonably well,quicker than expected.
    854.jpg
    rear engine mounts fitted to engine bar
    855.jpg 856.jpg
    Just all the plumbing electrical needed now to finish the install of engine. We had had enough once we got this done, due to the heat.

Elsie 76, onetrackwonder, OSF and 8 others like this.
  15. David H

Great progress on a hot day. Looking good Wayne:).
    Cheers

Wayne murray likes this.
  16. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Beautiful and nothing like 40+ degrees in a tin shed to test our sense of humour or to check whether "Grover's disease" is still abundant.

KahunaKombi and Wayne murray like this.
  17. Wayne murray

I've reached the final 10 % of finishing it.I'm further along then what I've posted. In some of the photos you may notice that some parts have been put in before the larger tin has gone in,due to the fact it was easier to have it out will I was still working at the back of the engine and didn't want it in the way will doing that,lack of support on that panel will I'm working in there.
    The preheat tinware is being used and is in place with the fibrous cement heat gasket being used.(photos below large rear tinware)
    858.jpg
    Small per heat tinware make it confusing this has the larger hole pre heat pipe.
    857.jpg
    Larger tin and preheat tin in place with foam engine seal in place.
    868.jpg
    Electric Voltage regulator in ,also the clamp that holds the oil bath filter,bolted on. rhs of engine
    869.jpg 872.jpg
    72 ute only oil bath filter fitted. With air cleaner intake tube and breather hose to oil bath filter. Air duct hoses fitted as well.
    875.jpg
    Closer up of the regulator and clamp for the oil bath filter.
    870.jpg
    wires coming through fire wall for the reversing lights
    867.jpg
    Hard to see,wireing on coil with reversing light fuse container and the brake booster hose coming off the manifold over the coil. Fuel hoses on pump and carburettor.
    866.jpg
    Wiring from regulator to generator
    864.jpg

OSF, TeeBee, Elsie 76 and 10 others like this.
  18. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Thats absolutely immaculate work mate, nice to see!!

grumble and Wayne murray like this.
  19. David H

Nice.. no ...better than nice Wayne:D.
    Always good to see your immaculate work;).
    Cheers

Wayne murray likes this.
  20. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

You have to be happy with the latest bit of tinkering :):D;)

Wayne murray likes this.