1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 72 DC jigsaw puzzle

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Wayne murray, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Continuation from the previous post finishing off the engine bay connecting up the earth strap to body and a second body earth from motor to body.
    860.jpg
    Making the wire harness for the reversing lights and heat shrink over the wires before reinstalling it. I first run all the wires from point required .IE from gearbox to coil and gearbox to light housing,masking tape them together.Pull it all out put heat shrink over the wires,then put it all back in and then put the final connections on after cutting them to there final length.
    861.jpg
    The cardboard air intake pipe (3 meters required)or kraft aluminum tubing made in Turkey. As far as I know this set up is original to 72 only utes.
    The air pipe on lhs of engine,going through firewall to long side the fuel tank and bents towards the air vent on the side of the car
    876.jpg
    Air pipe on the rhs of engine to the oil bath air cleaner. Cabled tied in several place to brackets that are welded to the chassis or ute bed. Battery also put in.
    877.jpg
    Fuel tank side of the fire wall with the air intake hose going into engine and it's starting point near the front of lhs rear wheel arch
    878.jpg

2. omelette81

omelette81 Active Member

3. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Great idea on the second engine earth - can make a big difference to starting when hot as heat = resistance = kills the earths.

You connected up the ute snorkel - not many punters bother but its a great idea.

Wayne murray likes this.
  4. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

That's looking really good Wayne. Can't wait to see it on the road.

5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Where does it go/end up after that?
    Cheers

6. Wayne murray

That's where it starts and doesn't go any further what I know and seen.

7. David H

Surely needs a 'riser' somewhere in the system.
    Snorkel on the A pillar;):D.
    Cheers

8. Wayne murray

No!!:rolleyes:;)

David H likes this.
  9. Wayne murray

Connecting the under bits that need to be done. Running the fuel hose from tank to the metal pipe line that runs through the tinware on lhs of car. connecting brake booster hose with one way value inline. The heater cables connected up as well.
    886.jpg
    Fuel hose from tank
    887.jpg
    Fuel hose running over the gearbox from right to left side of car with three clips to hold it to under side of the body floor.
    885.jpg
    Line with one way value in brake booster hose.
    heater cable connection
    fuel line connection in tinware to metal line
    891.jpg
    fuel hose over gearbox left side of car looking to the right side.
    893.jpg
    fuel filter. Fuel hose should run over the torsion bar tube but I run it under neath to make it a bit easier to change filter
    894.jpg
    flexible heat connecting pipe.
    895.jpg

Syncro27, Elsie 76, TeeBee and 6 others like this.
  10. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Love the attention to detail :):D;)

Wayne murray likes this.
  11. KahunaKombi

No David - the routing of the air hose takes it into the area/void where the fuel tank is and behind the cab .... the vents on the side panels allow sufficient air in for it all to breath akin to a cold air intake (correct me if I'm wrong Wayne)

David H, tintop and Wayne murray like this.
  12. Wayne murray

Couldn't say it any better.:rolleyes::)

David H, KahunaKombi and tintop like this.
  13. onetrackwonder

onetrackwonder Well-Known Member

Wayne you really are a master of perfection, I take my hat of to you, awesome work, cheers Greg

Elsie 76, Wayne murray and David H like this.
  14. Wayne murray

Finish off the 72 only exhaust system ,why they changed it for one year,no idea!. You have a longer exhaust dampener with a exhaust tip

897.jpg
    There are two brackets on either end of the exhaust that supports the large rear tin of the engine. Bolted to the end of the exhaust then up to the rear tin.
    899.jpg 901.jpg
    Clamps hold the dampener to the exhaust tip and the support bracket that comes from the exhaust to help support the dampener.
    902.jpg 903.jpg
    904.jpg 907.jpg 910.jpg

912.jpg
    Two support brackets on passenger side,dampener support bracket and rear tin support.Bolts that hold this to the exhaust fit into the end of the exhaust in a captive area,which the bolt head had to be shaped to fit exhaust.
    913.jpg

15. David H

Ah Kimosabi...Master of the Art;). Great work:D.
    Cheers

Jethro, Elsie 76 and Wayne murray like this.
  16. Wayne murray

Nearly there.;):). It could have been finished enough for Bus Stop :(

OSF, TeeBee, Jethro and 1 other person like this.
  17. KahunaKombi

As once said (by whom???) So Smooth ..... So Glossy ;)

Wayne murray likes this.
  18. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Soooo clean under there ...and not an oil drop ;)

Wayne murray likes this.
  19. Wayne murray

Put a battery in and got another person at the fuse box,as I touched the earth on the battery to make sure I didn't get any fizz sounds. Checked all circuits to make sure they all worked, and had a few issues which wasn't unexpected.
    Generator warning light didn't work. Globe replace
    Brake warning light switch didn't work.replace switch
    Headlights didn't work. replaced dimmer switch.
    Brake lights didn't work hadn't put brake fluid in:oops: Worked after I did.
    Brake lines leaked like a sieve.Some joints needed tightening and others I ended up seating the metal joins be loosing them tightening them several times,which fixed any remaining leaks,rebleed the system.
    Major pain was when we put oil in engine,the next day it started leaking oil,it had us puzzled for a while as it wasn't leaking directly in the middle inline with the fly wheel seal etc. We worked it out once I seen this old engine (photo below) The welsh plug sitting in the area where the bellhousing would sit.(red circle) it's inline with a pressure relieve value. Think when they had installed it from factory they had pressed them in then machined the contact surface area where the bell housing sits,so it would be flat contact area.Which I think has caused it to leak.
    879a.jpg
    Started the engine to see if we had any other leaks form after the start up (which we didn't) and ran it for 20 minutes to bed in the engine and then dropped
    the oil and replaced.
    The engine had to come out anyway to drill the welsh plug out and tap a thread in and put a threaded plug instead. (red circle below) you can just see small part of the plug
    879.jpg
    It's been all reinstalled,without any leaks. Know have a fully working Kombi.

OSF, onetrackwonder, Syncro27 and 6 others like this.
  20. Elsie 76

Elsie 76 Well-Known Member

Showroom Wayne, Showroom. :)

Jethro and Wayne murray like this.