1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 72 DC jigsaw puzzle

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Wayne murray, Jul 6, 2016.

1. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Can't wait for this all to be over so we can see it in the flesh Wayne - fingers crossed for you for Old Bar :)

Wayne murray likes this.
  2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Only if there is enough driving time with lock down situation.It's only done 31 miles or 50km Would be nice to get out and about to rack up the K's. I don't trust it yet with little driving time I have had.

David H likes this.
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Nice welsh plug fix. I've never understood the press fit in an alloy or iron?
    Great work @Wayne murray .
    Cheers

Wayne murray likes this.
  4. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Yay! :)

Wayne murray likes this.
  5. onetrackwonder

onetrackwonder Well-Known Member

Congratulations Wayne, unbelievable build that you have done, gaining confidence with the car is the fun bit, enjoy, cheers Greg

Wayne murray likes this.
  6. Wayne murray

Another little problem was the sound to others,sounded like the exhaust dampener didn't sound like it was deadening the sound. It was only two welds to grind off to get the dampener pipe out,easy no. Undone the welds and pulled it out,guess right it had no padding on the inside of the dampener
    918.jpg

919.jpg
    920.jpg
    So wrapped it in a heat proof sheeting and put it back into the dampener and tack welded it,so it can't more around. Another little frustrating job that needed to be done.
    921.jpg

7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Ahhh ...... quality parts are hard to get,eh?

8. Wayne murray

Yes they can be,it's not to do with who sells them as I've had good and bad from well know vw places. It's more the manufacturing and rubber seams to be the worse offender . They seam to use recycled garage bin lids in the rubber and it is exactly that garbage.:(The lack of silicone or what they use to make it shiny and more pliable that resists drying out and cracking,which I know rubber will eventually perish, but should take longer then 12 months and at least been used for many years before replacement is needed.

9. Wayne murray

I've been thinking for a few years know ,how I was going to make a rubber that was suitable to cover the metal in front of the spare wheel sits. You could get the rubber either end under the seats which are stock standard for all bays. You can't get the middle section for a DC or SC ute. I felt like Wile E Coyote.:confused::oops: as many plans ended up failing or I couldn't get the material to be able to test to see if it worked,without buying 10 meters or more.
    In the end what I think worked was right under my nose. Which was using the rubber under the seat and turning it side ways.o_O
    I've only ever seen one,which @ruby6689 has in Monty in her single cab Ute. Also which looks like one in a photo in a DC Ute ,also a member on here @Poptop .
    So going from what I remember of Monty's mat this is what I came up with.
    What it looks like before I started.
    932.jpg 933.jpg
    Rubber mat under side with the foam taken off a few Velcro strips with self adhesive on them stuck on either end and also I added some magnets in the middle to help hold it,which these one's aren't strong enough to hold the rubber in place.
    934.jpg
    Face side of the rubber which has a hole for the heater control knob (lhs of photo on the rubber)Little bit of guess work in cutting the shape as it is arc shape for where it sits which made it a bit tricky and would be expensive exercise at $75.00 to make a mistake.
    935.jpg
    Finished piece in place.
    936.jpg
    Also contacted the other half of Velcro onto the rubber mat that was existing under the seats. The self adhesive wasn't strong enough on a texture rubber mat so contact glue was used instead.
    939.jpg
    looking down on the finished mat. The only thing I'm not sure on is how long or further the mat should go under the seat,I didn't think it could go much further as it would start fowling up on the drivers seat as it goes over the seat arch between the two seats.
    940.jpg

Mordred, Elsie 76, Syncro27 and 6 others like this.
  10. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see this in the flesh Wayne. Great job!!!

11. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Covered up all that lovely paint!

Good thinking though

Wayne murray likes this.
  12. Wayne murray

Been a bit lazy posting on my own thread,with so much time with only working 2-3 days a week due to the virus, spend a lot of time working on my Kombis and not posting :oops:
    I've been adding a few small details to finish areas off. White caps put on the cloths hangers

922.jpg
    Black caps on the handbrake bolts that bolt the handbrake bracket to the dash,yes original if you have the correct bolt. funny thing is that the heater lever bracket which is 8 inches away doesn't have a cap over that bolt.:confused:
    925.jpg
    Oval shape grommets,you can get new ones they are found in several places.One is the B pillars both sides and the backside of the dogleg on the underside of the car
    926.jpg 928.jpg
    929.jpg
    Also added which isn't original a seat adjustment knob on the lever stay for the rear back door on a Double cab
    927.jpg
    An original NOS 72-73 locking petrol cap
    930.jpg 931.jpg
    rear back door has clear plastic caps that cover the door bolts that hold the door on. These are basically the same as beetle ones that do the same thing for there front doors except double cab ones have a flat edge as seen in photo
    941.jpg 943.jpg

slobus, OSF, Buggergary and 7 others like this.
  13. Wayne murray

nothing to exciting,just put hubcaps on and NOS revision mirrors from Argentina ,sets things off well.

IMG_0089.JPG IMG_0090.JPG IMG_0055.JPG IMG_0052.JPG IMG_0051.JPG IMG_0087.JPG IMG_0088.JPG

Attached Files:

14. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Wayne murray likes this.
  15. Wayne murray

Best bling I'm going to get on a standard ute,I was hoping for more of a reflection on things (bad pun)o_O

16. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Maybe reflect on the great job:D & the empty wallet:(.
    Cheers

onetrackwonder and Wayne murray like this.
  17. Wayne murray

That is right in both accounts,empty account as well.

David H likes this.
  18. Wayne murray

Been working on my hoops,bows and slats for my Ute. Brought some pine to test what length the bows should be. Instead of using the good wood and making a mistake in getting the length wrong.
    Test fit of the bows with the pine
    Cambia ash was used (roasted American ash)
    966.jpg
    Once the length was determined,then cut the set of 6 required and mock fit it up.
    Length required is 1825 mm long 45 mm wide and 19 mm thick
    With a 7 mm hole 10 mm in center to the timbers width on either end.
    With the bow ends having a 9 mm radius so they will fit inside the metal hoops. I've also run a 5 mm pencil round down the lengths.
    967.jpg
    Drill was run through each hole as not all metal holes with timber in middle lined up perfectly.
    968.jpg
    Sanding all bows and slats before oiling.
    946.jpg
    First coat of decking oil.
    950.jpg
    Second coat with sun showing colour.
    953.jpg
    Inserting magnets into the underside of my slats. Earth magnets was used at 50 mm long 5 mm wide and 3.5 mm depth with a pull strength of 4.6 kg per magnet and 5 magnets were used per slat.
    954.jpg
    Jig used to support the trimmer (router) to run the grooves
    955.jpg
    956.JPG
    Glued the magnets in using a high strength araldite epoxy which has a claimed holding strength of 150 kg.
    957.JPG

19. Campervanstu

Campervanstu Member

Hi Wayne, can i ask where you got fuel hose from. I’m really struggling to find any in WA that is the correct size. I was using https://ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses.html as a reference, any advise you can give on finding the right hoses and breathers?

20. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Awesome work Wayne.
    I'll follow in your footsteps when I get there (no more progress on my end yet).

Poptop likes this.