My 72 DC jigsaw puzzle

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Wayne murray, Jul 6, 2016.

1. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Hey Wayne. Any progress updates?

2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Hi OSF:
    I've got my feet in to many places and not enough time to be in all those places. I haven't got any update photos.sorry people. I haven't seen it in a couple of weeks with long weekend etc. The kombi outside is basically in undercoat and he was working on the battery tray and the edge that's under the ute tray.
    I have got all my engine tinware ready for blasting. When ready I'll take photos of the glass Whoo it's been done that's a good story in itself. Tell it when I take photo's 178.jpg

OSF and David H like this.
  3. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Good to hear the glass finally worked.

4. Wayne murray

It has been a while since I posted,been rather busy doing other things that seem to always get in the way. I been seeing the car on a regular bases,some weeks no work gets done and others plenty. It is some times hard to get good photos as it is a small place with little room.
    The left side has been straightened and the reason for this whole project the new ute battery tray has been put in as well. The final rust in drivers door has been cut out as well.
    181.jpg 182.jpg
    We have also got some COLOUR on the under carriage which has been painted as well,it seems like thinks are moving along quite well.
    183.jpg 184.jpg 185.jpg 186.jpg 187.jpg 188.jpg
    Next stage will be getting the inside & the engine bay painted next will the ute bed is off so he can get into the hard to reach places.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  5. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

A great Sunday read, loving the Avocado .

6. Wayne murray

I know you where having withdraw symptoms, to prevent you from spending the DC budget I thought I give you something to do.

Poptop likes this.
  7. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Looks excellent Wayne. Bet you're pleased with the progress. You keep demonstrating Kombi patience & with such an 'eye for detail' that makes your VW's what they are. Great work;):):D.
    How did you afflict OSF with that "eye for detail":rolleyes:. Disease, virus, mania, sneeze transmitted:p?
    Cheers

Wayne murray likes this.
  8. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

COLOUR ...... Woohoooo!!!
    Good stuff.

9. Wayne murray

How did you afflict OSF with that "eye for detail"
    Cheers[/QUOTE]
    I don't know how OSF caught the disease but I know deyetailookosis is very contagious,once affected by it there is no known cure. Little research has been done on the disease and only spending more money has any real effect on the disease,nothing else really helps. :eek::confused::D.

Poptop and David H like this.
  10. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Wow.

I forgot how difficult it is to paint a Doka or any kombi ute for that matter.

So many hard to reach places.

Wayne murray likes this.
  11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Let’s talk over a beer or too one day......so I can remind you of the pain! :D

Syncro27 likes this.
  12. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Thats right - you were crazy enough to do that task yourself Grant.

The levels of insanity in this club never cease to amaze me :rolleyes:

Wayne murray, David H and Grantus like this.
  13. Wayne murray

That's what my painter was complaining about,how many nooks and crannies there are. I told him "he has it easy as he has it on a hoist to paint it". Where I did my Microbus on car stands and lying on my back painting the undercarriage.

Grantus, Syncro27 and David H like this.
  14. Wayne murray

The 2018 season of thus resto has been under way,I thought it was time for a update on progress so far. Panel beater is finishing off the final welding for inside the car before he tackles the Ute bed.
    The original owner had already replaced frame that holds the separation panels on,but didn't put in the bottom row of nuts so you can bolt on the separation panels. New tabs with nuts where welded on to be able to achieve this.
    189.jpg 192.jpg
    The other fix up that needed to be done was the anchor points that hold down the pedestal seat base in the rear cabin section. As again the previous owner had repaired the floor with other sections from other cars,but didn't put in the plates that the bolts lock into.
    190.jpg 194.jpg
    Tinware for engine had also been sent away to get bead blasted and returned to the painter to be painted satin black. Along with the two separation panels and hoops for the canopy.

Syncro27, David H and OSF like this.
  15. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

mmmmmmm Painted underbody ....... do it once, do it all, do it right ;)

OSF likes this.
  16. Wayne murray

It would be nice if it worked like that.Unfortunate oversight by the painter:eek: but he guarantee it is a easy fix. I've got an eye on it for sure.

17. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Progress is progress. Looking good.

Wayne murray likes this.
  18. Wayne murray

Fitting the gates and the Ute bed have had a mock up to see how well everything line up. Of course they don't,on the right hand side(drivers side)the body lines don't line up well at all about 10 mm out:eek::mad:. More extensive work needed to make it line up. As we have new gates and floor with old body that has had plenty of panel work to get them straight.
    195.jpg 196.jpg 198.jpg 199.jpg
    Where the body line is on the gates,the two lines aren't parallel to each other when they pressed the panels. The panel beater has mentioned a few thinks he is going to try to get them to line up better.
    200.jpg
    The gates don't line up with the Ute bed floor. The lip on the floor hasn't been bend over yet either as it is a trial fit.
    197.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    David H likes this.
  19. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Hey Wayne. I feel your pain regarding the gates. Go back and have a look at page 20 of my resto thread. I could have cried the first time my gates were fitted. I was so upset at what I initially thought was my PB's failure to weld the load bed and separation panel (at the back of the cabin) on straight that I was almost going to demand he rip the whole back out and do it all again. I was also almost at the point of throwing my whole resto in at this stage, as it would have killed me driving around in a newly restored DC with the body lines all not lining up.

Very glad I suck with it and very glad I didn't make any crazy person demands of my PB. I suspect both I and my DC would have been turfed out of his shop pretty quickly had I done that (and rightly so). I subsequently showed him a few pics of the alignment Surf Bus achieved with some DC gates (from his Autoshape Restorations facebook page) and with the knowledge it was possible to get a better fit my PB went to work. A bit of bending here and there, a bit of cutting, a bit of new metal in a few places and a couple of weeks later my gates were looking heaps better. They are still not 100% perfect, but are certainly good enough and good enough for me where good enough is never good enough, is actually pretty good.

I've seen a few DC's now and they all seem to have a few gap issues with the gates and behind the drivers side is often the worst. I suspect they just weren't put together back then with the same small tolerances we expect now.

So hang in there and let your PB do his thing, though he will need to dig deep into his bag of PB tricks to get it looking right. e.g. Among other things, my PB actually modified the bottom lip of my rear gate to get it to line up better with the ute bed floor. These gates will only ever fit so well and the adjustment is very limited, so a bit of creative customizing of the gates themselves is also required once you get the gate alignment the best it can be. Another modification my PB did to my gates was to weld on a slither of a wedge of metal to the front end of the gate on the driver's side to close that gap a bit. He also managed to work a small miracle getting my gate and cabin body lines to line up.

Anyway .... I know what you are going through, but am confident you and your PB will be able to sort it.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    slobus and Wayne murray like this.
  20. Wayne murray

Thanks Euan:
    That why everything is being test fitted due to your issues with your DC. I.m more concerned with the body line lining up and the gap between the gate and body is a secondary issue which I'm not concerned about. My SC on RHS is similar with a larger gap then the LHS and the body lines around the SC aren't 100% either.
    I was happy that the latch lining up ,which is a plus.
    201.jpg
    In a couple of days he has already got the line a lot better but he reckons he can still improve on this as well

slobus and Grantus like this.