My body just ain't what it used to be.........

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by BUS_TER, Jan 29, 2018.

1. BUS_TER

BUS_TER Member

Have this hole in the sliding door panel. Refer two photos.

Had one panel beater say replace he whole door as in his words, "you don't know how bad it is on the inside."
    Fair point I thought so my question now extends to you experts.

Patch and repair or replace?

Cant say for sure how long it has been in this condition as it was this way when I bought it. Hasn't gotten any worse and there doesn't seem to be any bubbling lower down the door.

Have never done any body work myself but I'm always eager, sometimes too eager to hook in.

Is this a job for a professional or can be done by a novice? I'm sure there is a plethora of ways to go about it too.

Cheers,
    IMG_0619.JPG IMG_0618.JPG

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Depends on what doors you can find and price.
    If you find a very clean door for under $200 that's an option.
    Often anything between 50-250 at a guess. Depending how much the seller wants to get rid of it.
    Same colour will save a few hundred bucks.
    A professional colour change on a straight clean door both sides will be between 500-650.
    Rust repair at beaters if you supply part and rnr door and window likely 150-200.

Otherwise its not a hard repair .
    Find a similar door to carefuly cut a section out of for a replacement part.

Strip the door and look for rust anywhere inside or on seams/ folds.
    If there is light rust in a difficult to reach spot you may be able to sandblast with a small sandblasting gun or alternatively treat with rust converter and tectyl rustproofing.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

As has been already stated, remove the inner door panel, and have a squizz upwards. :rolleyes:

Panel beaters, especially when only assessing, don’t pull panels off to inspect. ;)

4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Your thread topic had me wondering ....... so had to check your profile ...... as for your body you'll notice things going south at 50 then 55 then 60 then 65 if it's any thing like Col's and mine :confused::eek:

5. BUS_TER

BUS_TER Member

The vans body is probably in better nick than mine and its younger!!

Thanks Fellas.

6. Blunderbus

Blunderbus Active Member

That patch wouldn't extend past the paint bubbles, would be an easy repair job i would think. No awkward curves or bends to replicate in the repair piece.

BUS_TER likes this.