My Caravelle C

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Luckyphil, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Today I picked up a 1990 Caravelle C its in pretty good condition. Its the first manual I have had and also the first without power steering. I should be able to get used to it. Its an 8 seater as can be seen in the pics. I have 2 issues I need to sort out though
    1. The wipers do not park correctly when turned off
    2. It has got some Bat Shit on it which can be seen as the stains in the pics, any tips on getting that off.
    Plan is to clean it up and add some of the goodies I have stashed away to bling it up. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wattie

Wattie Active Member

Phil, if the usual detergents don't do the job eucalyptus oil is good for just about everything and will not damage the paint, I've used it for sap and bitumen removal, works a treat. :)

3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

looks very tidy

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice score Phil !!
    I saw Iva Davies' ( Icehouse) Caravelle at my local servo yesterday……veeerry nice…total resto/re-build & he loves it !

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Another 'yellow peril'
    bit of a change from your blue ones .
    somewhat tidier than mine :)
    white scourer pads or onion bags help remove crap without damaging paint. then cutters if necessary.

6. Luckyphil

Hope you told him about KC, get him to come to the next Northern Beaches Run.
    Next step is to get it registered and start cleaning it up.

7. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Very nice and original Phil - just how I like them.

8. Luckyphil

Thanks guys for the tips on removal of the Bat Crap.
    Anyone have any idea why the wipers dont park correctly, I must admit I havnt looked too hard at them, will check them out properly after XMAS

9. nils

nils Well-Known Member

do they park at all? Whether in the wrong spot or not?

If they work correctly (full swing) just park in the wrong place, it maybe as simple as that the arm at the motor end is a spline or 2 off.

merry Xmas all

10. prone

prone Active Member

looks like a great bus. The interior looks to be in great shape.

11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Nice score Phil.... rear sliders and no centre sliders? Standard on a Velle C, or retro fit by PO?

Manual - Sort out out your "ear-hand co-ordination", and you'll be right

No Power Steering - Upper body toning to give it real POWER steering! :)

And the wipers, I guess you are missing a relay in that fuse box that parks them.

Looking forward to it parked here in your next visit, or seeing it at Old Bar 2015. ;)

12. Luckyphil

Hi Grant, all good advice, not sure about the rear slider but it does look kind of weird. You are right I dont have a wiper relay, only the bus bar thingo. I will put a No. 19 in there and take the restriction bit out of the switch and see if that helps. Once sorted will need a road trip so will try and bring down, it will also be at Old Bar.

13. Grantus

Phil,

Wipers have two relays, one runs the wipers, and the other parks them.......... take out the parking relay, and you have the result you have.

I can advise more if needed, in the daylight, but simply sending you in the direction of looking, before you undertake the nasty dash-out task of pulling the wiper motor.....;)

14. Grantus

While I have the master of T3 destruction's attention........any clues on getting the door latch mech large phillips head bolts to budge?o_O

Stripping down a pair of doors at the momemt for refurb and respray, and managed to remove all the components except the latch mechs to the body. Tried long term WD40, and the Bentley list nice allen key headed bolts, but these are phillips head, and won't budge. Seriously considering leaving them in place, and a tidy masking job prior to spraying, but removing them would be a better result.:rolleyes:

15. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Impact screwdriver

16. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Looks sensational Phil.

Thanks for dropping by and showing me too.

A vey straight and non-rusted survivor this van and the mix of Caravelle bits and transporter bits is amusing - one I havent seen before with these options.

Goes well too.

You need air in your front tyres though.

Merry Christmas!

17. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

as barry suggested. impact screwie. hold in with force and held hard in direction that its going to move then smack .
    alternates are a quality #3 [?]socket and breaker bar and lots of force in with hand and body while carefuly turn with other hand.
    sometimes a vice grips with good teeth and done up to max on the head if not countersunk then screwdriver as well.
    if countersunk and can get one out , rotate the plate to crack

but i guess you have already tried most of these :)

otherwise heat

18. Grantus

Your not wrong, Col & Barry..... tried all of the above, and smacked it hard.

Just putting it out there, incase I was missing something.

Plan B, is just to leave them in place, and a careful masking job for painting..........

One less thing to refit, I guess....;)

19. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Phil, with the bat shit, you'll need to try to soften it up and best method is to get a piece of cloth or paper towel, wet it thoroughly and place it on the offending crap and leave for a while or until it is soft it enough to allow it to be wiped off. May take a couple of goes as the shit dries fast and hard also depends how long it has been on there and as always the depth will vary . More than likely will leave a stain which should polish out.

20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

just for the hell of it
    next on list :)
    is heat to cherry red to crack it few good smacks and try when cooled a bit/ drill out or grind head then vice grips or even pliers to remove shaft as its usualy the head that binds. if it was the thread its then a drill n tap job.
    theres stuff in a can to freeze them, or if in the country and neighbour does insemination , pinch some liquid nitrogen.
    if you know anyone in the aero industry that rebuilds engines they have a horribly expensive product thats colloquially called'mouse milk' . meant to be the ultimate anti seize for studs.

tape sounds good even if less satisfying :(