1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new T3 DOKA

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by prone, May 8, 2020.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

“Dual Cabavelle”? :rolleyes:

Luckyphil likes this.
  2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I put some things on that DOKA that not even TriStar had. :)

prone likes this.
  3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

That's the trouble with salesmen.
    They think that everyone is as stupid as them ??

4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

That's Samba 1 that was owned by Andy Roberts - initial listed price by Andy on Carsales was $299,990.00 (from memory) ..... was then advertised @ dealer (Classic Throttle Garage where it is still advertised) for $289k .... now sitting @ $259,995 (https://classicthrottleshop.com/1957-volkswagen-23-window-deluxe-microbus-samba/) .... possibly a they need a few glitches in web site to get the story right :confused:

prone likes this.
  5. prone

prone Well-Known Member

Thanks Scott,
    Yeh I am really happy with it. I’m taking it down to my mechanic today to have a full going over as it’s been sitting in showrooms for years now and from what I was told has barely been driven. I know of a few things that need doing and I’m sure that there’ll be a few more.
    No need for me to hide the keys to it when we’re at Old Bar. I’m more than happy for Phil to take it for a spin......as long as I get it back :)
    Cheers

Wayne murray and Luckyphil like this.
  6. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Thats the problem - you may not get it back ;)

Agree T3s don't like sitting around.

Ive been driving mine around everywhere lately and using 98 octane fuel and its going better than ever.

You will need to give it a good drive after its checked out and some good new fuel.

prone and Luckyphil like this.
  7. prone

prone Well-Known Member

I may have to take your advice and hide the keys then :)

The suspension has been terrible since I got it. Just so bouncy!!!
    It has Weitec lowering springs on the rear and stock Caravelle springs on the front. There’s Bilstein shocks all round. I knew that there was something going on but found out today for certain that the shocks have seized :( goes to show just how little it’s been driven.
    I’ve just purchased a set of Koni Red shocks and I’m trying to find a good set of stock height springs but no one in Australia seems to have any in stock at the moment. I don’t want to run the risk of ordering from overseas as there’ll almost definitely be long delays in delivery. I do have an old set of stock springs that came off my Caravelle which I may end up having to fit for the time being. Be good to get it all done at the same time though so I’ll continue searching.

Syncro27, Grantus and Luckyphil like this.
  8. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Have you tried King Springs? I think that's them. Mike at CBBVW will confirm. This Australian winder has the OEM T3 specs.

oldman and prone like this.
  9. Grantus

I’m a big fan of Koni reds.... :)

prone and Syncro27 like this.
  10. prone

prone Well-Known Member

Yeh I like them too. I have them on my Caravelle and they made a huge difference :)

Grantus likes this.
  11. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Bummer with the springs (& shocks) :( ..... what ever where they trying to achieve except getting the rear down a bit for a level ride look :rolleyes: ..... with the T2 DoKA and T3 SC I've had the rear lowers under a load and ends up driving better and in fact so did the Caravelle :) ..... do all 4 or do none :confused:.

Have you tried to see if Steve Muller (Volksmuller - may now be https://germanperformance.carmechanica.com.au/) possible chance he may someo_O

Poptop and prone like this.
  12. prone

prone Well-Known Member

I’m looking to get a frame and canopy similar to this. Does anyone know of any places that could make one up? Preferably around Sydney’s Northern Beaches but happy to travel a couple of hours or so.
    Cheers
    0F31C343-3D93-4A25-A7D7-D4D3FD80322A.jpeg

Syncro27 likes this.
  13. Kazz

Kazz Well-Known Member

Brendon, my son is a sailmaker. Get the frame and he may be able to do the canvas.....maybe
    Kazz

prone and TeeBee like this.
  14. prone

prone Well-Known Member

Hey Kazz,
    That sounds great. Thanks. I haven’t seen your son for ages. Is he still surfing a bit?
    cheers

15. prone

prone Well-Known Member

I received these slats today :) Thanks for tracking them down Phil.
    Grant’s done an amazing job with them. Can’t wait to fit them.
    Cheers

16. Grantus

Nice! :)

Glad they are finally going onto the DC these custom “one offs” were made for. ;)

Are they still raw sanded, or has someone put a clear finish on them? :rolleyes:

17. prone

prone Well-Known Member

They look like they are still raw except for one smaller piece that has had some finish put on it. There were 13 slats all up but my tray only has 12? I was just happy that he wasn’t short a piece :)

oldman likes this.
  18. prone

prone Well-Known Member

Hey Phil,
    Did you plan on fixing up the tray first and then fitting the slats?
    It just seems a shame to put these beautiful slats in a tray that is a bit scratched/dinged up.
    Cheers

Luckyphil likes this.
  19. Grantus

Spend the time, to put at least two coats of finish on them all round, before you fit them.

Give them a good sand with 240g paper, and apply a finish like Feast Watson’s Tung Oil based Floorseal, with a brush or roller.

When first coat is dry, (at least 24 hours), give them a light sand with 320g paper, to remove any nibs and brush marks, then coat them again.

DO NOT use any single or 2 pac urethane products, as you can’t repair and re coat down the track, without fully removing those products.

prone likes this.
  20. prone

prone Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Grant. I definitely want to do it right so I’ll follow your advice :)

I also got the white canopy (ice cream box) at the same time which is even uglier in real life than what it is in the photos.