My Very First VW experience

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by kombivan, Sep 26, 2013.

1. kombivan

kombivan New Member

It was 1962/3 I was about 7 years old and I was just allowed to walk up to the bustop by myself this was at North Rocks where Westfeilds now stands there was not a cross road intersection there then it was just a sweeping bend with a road going down to the golf course I learnt to drive there when I was 9, back to the story well I was at the bustop one morning when a VW beetle came around the bend wasn't going fast at all it seemed to get around the bend and straighten up when all of a sudden the VW litteraly sprang up into the air did a 180 flip and landed on its roof it was traveling so slow that it didn't even slide down the road it sat exactly where it landed and spun around in circles I still to this day have not seen anything so funny it didn't roll like a normal car it ended up in the same lane it was travelling in and I remember thinking to myself I'm never getting one of those. Then when it almost stopped spinning and the guy got out another came around the corner and clipped the bonnet and off it went again spinning and every car that came around the corner would clip it some how and it spun for ages then the bus arrived and it was of to school. I think this might be the first time I have even told this story as I was always the quiet one.

If anyone tags this with a stupid comment it will show you for who you are. This is my new disclaimer.

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Ha That's not how it works. So you can put whatever you like up and no one is allowed to comment ? He went past that spot to-day and guess what that beetle is still spinning :)

3. kombivan

kombivan New Member

I am sure I am going to cop it now thanks for letting me know its still spinning. :)

4. MAP77

MAP77 Well-Known Member

17308973_10211118026400015_1786344132016737073_n[1].jpg

Found this old photo taken back in 1969 of my brother and myself at Durras Lakes.

We also camped at Terrigal at the bottom of the Skillion in the early seventies.

During my childhood we had a variety of VW's - Pre 1960 Van, Early 1960's Van (in photo), 1971 Kombi and a 1977 Microbus.

Great Memories!

Mark

Debstar likes this.
  5. andrewjdriscoll

andrewjdriscoll Active Member

So good to see kombivan back! I've really missed him.

AJD

6. Luckyphil

7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Very messy looking :confused: .....

4.5 years since last thread post abut more interesting:rolleyes:

MAP77 likes this.
  8. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

So you could become a member?

Grantus likes this.
  9. Luckyphil

Came out of the blue as didnt even know he had my number. I did go & have a look but 99.9% of posts are by kombivan. Didnt become a member.

David H likes this.
  10. David H

David H Well-Known Member

That's the splitty I saw being trailered in Newcastle 2 days ago with that web page on the lower RH sill. Whilst their website might be messy that splitty wasn't!;)
    Cheers