1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

National Apology

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bay_Buddha, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

I have been watching the speeches being made in Parliament this morning... Regardless of peoples approval of the government saying sorry I felt that this is a defining moment for our country to focus on regaining our sense of pride and identity.

To see the leaders of both parties sharing opinions and working together to build strength in our nation fills me with so much pride to be an Aussie!

Was anyone else interested?

Phill.

2. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

It was good to see both government and opposition banding together (sort of) and more or less agreeing on something.
    This day marks a special day in Australia's history.
    We should also make "Sorry day" a national holiday too :)

3. jerrys_bus

jerrys_bus Active Member

Yes i am interested in the apology, as with our resent human rights track record, immigration polices, the current polices regarding our indigenous peoples etc, a sense of pride within our country has been lacking, don't get me wrong I have always stood proud and strong in the name of Australia even when we reach low points, but I also see this a coming of age, a step we needed to do regardless of compensation etc

A moment in time that we can look back upon with pride that our government finally had the spine to say sorry for past injustices, for I believe that as a whole Australians are sorry for what has happened in the past to the stolen generation, if only they took the time to think about what happened, and a time that justifies the change of an out dated and tired government that only looked upon the masses as a welfare dependant blight.

Just my 2 cents

Regards

Chris

4. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

Missed the event on the TV this morning as I started back at work today.

Had a call from Kombikazz just after the telecast finished and she was very moved and justly proud of what has been achieved.

I agree with those above definately a step forward and a defining moment in terms of building pride and further entrenching the Aussie spirit of a fair go for everyone.

5. Big_M

Big_M New Member

Big learning curve for me as I have heard mention of the stolen generation but never really knew what it was all about. Sparked my interest into doing some research, and finding out more.

6. WAY2COOL

WAY2COOL Member

This morning was one of OUR nation's finest moments!!!My daughter asked me why I had tears in my eyes?Happiness does that to a bloke sometimes.

7. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Great day to be an ozzie.

8. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

I am a very proud Aussie.
    This day will go down in our history and its definately a great step in the right direction.My little girl is too young to understand about the stolen generation and what the apology is all about but she'll learn about it one day.:)

9. Pastit

Pastit Member

So will peeling onions, jamming your thumb between a dolly and a hammer, burning off your eyebrows and eyelash's when you get a bit close welding, trying to evacuate your bowels after using panadol for a week and your only diet is cheese sandwich's, papercuts................the list is endless.

10. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

sorry seems to be the hardest word ....... i wonder where that came from

11. Archeress

Archeress Guest

i thnk its an elton john song.

12. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

i think your right kelly

13. Kombi Trip

Kombi Trip Member

Well overdue and one of the best speeches made for quite some time by a PM. Walk a while in their shoes....

14. WAY2COOL

WAY2COOL Member

Ouch!

Jeez Pastit, I hope your not trying to do all of that at the same time!!!Thanks for the Panadol and cheese sandwich tip.Make mine cheese and chilli sauce.

15. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Couldn't agree more with you Chris!!!

I have always felt both proud and lucky to be an Aussie... However the last few years have been like sticking by your footy team when they are losing.

At the moment it feels like were gonna win the premiership in the next couple of seasons!!!

To be honest I was pretty much history throughout the telecast, I'm not usually a visible softy but I couldn't help the emotions today.

Phill.

16. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Agree with you 100% phill, makes me happy to be an ozzie. Finally someone grew the brass parts and said what most people have been waiting for. Not all ozzie people agree, but thats there choice.

The name of Kevin Rudd will now be in the Australian History Books forever.

brian :) :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  17. yellow pencils

yellow pencils New Member

The apology is the easy part....I think the hard part begins now...I for one will pass judgement on K Rudd after he has had a couple of terms. Time will show just how serious he is about righting the dismal lot indigenous Australian face each and every day. (and I admit, I do not know the answers to fixing the problem)

18. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Pencils... I agree that it is too early to judge the PM's worth at this early stage, I think that we should be able to asses the effectivness of the governments actions before this term is finished.

I do however feel that todays events acknowledge the previous attempts to unify the nation and the consequences of past actions.

I believe that it provides a strong scaffold for all Australians to build upon a firm and equal sense of nationality. Throughout cultural, historical and genetic differences we can work toward a common level of health, education and opportunity in all aspects of society.

I too believe that todays sentiments are not the solution. It is however a moment in history where both sides of government and many of the Australian people came together to acknowledge the past and show a common concern toward establishing meaningful and practical change.

Phill.

19. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

10 years in the wilderness and today at least we have started to move. If I am going to be a proud Australian we will have to do a few to earn that respect. Some symbolic and some on theground moral decisions. How about an Australian republic, a real Australian flag, a new anthem (maybe 'I am Australian', and decisions that are made for our childrens children, not for the economy. How about a flag with the southern cross and a Kombi?

20. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Now are they going to say sorry to the Banardo's generation?

Has anyone seen the mini series "Leaving of Liverpool"?