1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New brakes squeal.

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Ray, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Ray

Ray Member

The mechanic changed the rear brake shoes 4 months ago and they are driving me crazy with the squealling. I've blown the dust out, I've hosed the dust out and I,ve taken the drums off and sanded the drums and the shoes (twice). Seems to be successful for a few days or so and then they start again. Reading other post on KC I read that I should brake hard half a dozen times doing about 80 kms. Again works for maybe a day. Spoke to the mechanic and he said they were fine, was raining the day he looked at them and they didn't squeal. Also said they are too thin machine and I now should replace the drums.

I feel that they didn't squeal before I had the shoes replaced and if it was the drums causing them to squeal they would have before. I'm thinking of putting a few crosses on the shoes with a hacksaw. I have to do something, they're driving me mad!!!!

Any advise.

2. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

I have the same problem on my front brakes, new rotors new pads, I am thinking it is the pads make up, brass fibers?? Instead of the old cancer causing sh#t

3. Resol

Resol Active Member

I agree with you Ray in regards to the drums...
    Maybe the shoes are of a different composite causing them to squeal...
    Are they equally aplying pressure to the drums..
    Do/may you think you have cooked em causing them to be hard like steel which would make em sqeal..
    I'm not a guru but these things came to mind...
    Hope you get it sorted cause if im like you or vis versa than I get annouyed by the littlest squeek or rattle on the car
    Good luck with it!!

4. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Machining is always advised when changing Shoes or pads as the surface can glass over when left.

Splitbus it depends on the brand of pads, Bendix AD series are crap, however the newer range of Bendix General CTs are a massive improvement, in terms of drums Ray do you know what brand shoes you had fitted? Some of the re-bonded ones are actually better than the brand names.

Bendix for a while after Asbestos was canned couldn't get their pads/shoes right, fortunately they have found a solution unfortunately they don't exactly move pallet loads of Kombi pads so the newer compounds may not have reached stores ore even warehouses yet.

I actually rang around today for some prices (being that I sell them) spoke with Bendix and RDA (who also distribute EBC) Bendix had 5 of DB84s available in their warehouse, RDA could get me a set of EBCs from Adelaide within 2 days and even then they only had one set. Which left me with the option of the basic RDA pads....:barf:

Find out the brand of shoes maybe you can talk with the manufacturer they may have encountered it before, you would be surprised at how helpful some of them are.

5. martini olive

martini olive Member

same problem here too - sounds like a b-double at times.
    i read on here someone went to the auto shop to get some applicant/powder or something to alleviate the problem, but i can't find the thread now.
    anyone able to 'name that product'?:umm:

6. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

CRC does a product called disc brake quiet its a small red bottle. however itf for discs as the name suggests.

7. martini olive

martini olive Member

8. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

I had a feeling there is a copper type spray to help alleviate the squealing.
    I may be wrong & I'm certain it wouldn't be the first time.:umm:

9. Ray

Ray Member

Did I cook them! I can't recall driving around with the handbrake on lately, doesn't mean I'm not capable of doing so. (I gotta admit, it wouldn't of been the first time.)

I'll check out what brand they put in, may still try and rough them up a bit more. Also try and find some of that anti squeal stuff for the disc brakes. Think I've almost worn out the front brakes with all the heavy braking trying to wear in the rears.

10. dbs

dbs Member

disc quit, copper spray, disc paper.... are all for the back of the disc pad to reduce the hamonics (squeling) between the caliper piston and the pad... no good for drums. The only answer I know for drums is to have them machined. roughens them up.. removes the glase and should quieten them down... if they are to thin to machine then maybe try giving them a little bit of a work over with sand paper and see if that makes a difference. The problem with roughening the surface of the shoe is that you are just wearing them down quicker.

11. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

My guess is the rear drums are already worn oversize. The glazed surface burns the new lining material and the thin drum can’t dissipate the heat causing the linings to burn and powder. The squeal is the vibration of the lining against the drum because the dust is continually being trapped and released. Only solution, new drums and new linings because those ones are now stuffed. Be sure to get good quality linings, not the grey rock crap, it should be a straw brown colour.
    To bed the new linings in, a progressive stop from 80kms a few times, nothing savage, then leave them to cool. This allows the resins to evenly distribute through the lining. They will then be hassle free till they wear out. Repeat the process, if you don't get near a 100,000kms out of a good set of pads and shoes you really should look at your driving style, kombis stop so well but that fact shouldn't be abused. Those EBC pads are magic, virtually no brake fad even when they get hot.

T1 Terry