1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New exhaust = amazingly quiet!

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by deepburn13, Jul 29, 2014.

1. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Hi all, thought i'd just mention how happy i am with my new stock exhaust! $150 plus a lot of swearing removing the old one, and my kombi is sooooooo much quieter! I was used to loud kombis with my old bus that i had 6 or so years ago having extractors, and probably in average condition. So i didnt think my 72 was all that loud up until the last couple of months as it got worse. But the difference is AMAZING! So happy!

2. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Did it come with ear plugs ;)

THe stock exhausts are prety good - now you will need to worry about the wind noise :)

3. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

Haha, yep! Also think I've noticed a suspect rear wheel bearing that I had no hope of hearing before!

4. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Everyone always doubts me when I say that the stock exhaust is the best for a stock engine and that it is the quietest exhaust you will get - they still want to buy the quiet pack or twin tips.

Mordred likes this.
  5. Iwantakombi

Iwantakombi Member

Do extractors make setups with different carbs run better though? 1600 with twin kadrons - not after racing car performance but will I lose some of that pep going to a stock exhaust?

6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yep.
    Doesnt take long to get over the 'joy' of long runs in a droning VW
    plus the quality stockies such as Ernst will outlast the chinese EMPi crap by many years
    If going non stock, stainless and a reputable design are worth paying for.

7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

And you can hear the stereo!!

8. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

i can hear my stereo regardless of the exhaust sound

9. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Everyone can hear your stereo Kai! But the music is gut so all is gut!

Mordred likes this.
  10. PaddyC

PaddyC New Member

Hi Deepburn13 - can I ask where you managed to find your stock exhaust? I need one and have had no luck with anyone so far around the country. Even if you have the VW part number that would be great.

11. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

what engine do you have?

12. PaddyC

PaddyC New Member

1600 AD series, twin port, single carb. The tailpipe joins the muffler on the drivers side and exits on the passenger side.

13. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

thats a bit different! all the ones ive seen are on the left. there is nothing wrong with changing the whole thing, just make sure the heater risers clear your moustache bar

14. PaddyC

PaddyC New Member

As I understand (could be completely incorrect) they only used this for a couple of years on the lowlights with the later model big taillights... This is a pic of one online - but unfortunately out of stock with this supplier.

upload_2015-9-25_10-40-11.png

15. deepburn13

deepburn13 Member

16. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

the one in the photo looks like a stock ones that were used in split screens and early bays running a 1500/1600sp engine back in the day. Usually a Ernst brand muffler uses that pipe setup that ive used before.
    chuckster

17. PaddyC

PaddyC New Member

Thanks Deepburn13 I will give them a call Monday to confirm the kit fits with the engine number. Really looking forward to installing it. Thanks again to all for your information.

18. PaddyC

PaddyC New Member

I spoke to the guys at Just Kampers and they tell those parts will fit, so I have ordered the kit. Will let you know how it goes once the bits arrive.

19. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

i could have told you that. just make sure the heater rise clears the moustache bar

20. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

I bought a stock exhaust (complete) for my T3 online from vwbusshop.de last year. The delivery to Sydney was only 35 euro and overall the price was heaps cheaper than anything locally. But the exchange rate has tanked since then so it may no longer be cheap.