1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Home for Professor Plum

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by Kombi Kapers, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Kombi Kapers

Kombi Kapers Active Member

The time has arrived for Professor Plum and his baby sister Yaris to get their own house. ie. a brand new garage!

The spot for the garage has been cleared and some overhanging branches judiciously lopped. Access will be from the rear laneway so the old rear fence and gates have been removed in readiness. The council has now approved the plans for the 3 bay double door garage and preliminary minor earth work is scheduled to begin this week, weather permitting.

I'm very excited about this project because I've never had my own garage/workshop. I guess it's a guy thing!

I've included a couple of photos and as work progresses I'll post up fresh photos.

John

Attached Files:

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I know your excitement John! I remember when my kombi taj mahal was getting built - the slab got poured three days before the Newcastle floods in 2007.

3. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

No, it's a classic car thing! :rolleyes:

We are renters, but I was excited to find a house with a garage with a door high enough for a poptop kombi - and with a workbench with vices too..... yay! :D So I can only imagine your excitement! :)

4. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I am lucky enough to have use of our work depo to store my hoist and use work welders.

But in saying that. We drove a mazda 323 and got a big dog, so we bought him a mazda tribute.
    We then built a nice house, and bought Bernie. We had a very serious discussion about renting out the house and buying another further out of town with a big garage so I could work at home....

5. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] When I saw this pic I was reminded of my late Grandma's backyard at Young. I didn't say anything but then Andy looked and said exactly the same thing. I just love those country blocks with the laneways at the back :heart:

When we bought this house I had a long list of what I wanted, Andy just one thing.....a BIG garage (or shed as they call them around here).

You won't know yourself........have fun, enjoy.:D

6. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

You had me worried when I saw the thread title. :eek: Thought you'd sold P.P.
    What every man needs a big shed/man cave/workshop. Fitted out with all the necessities; fridge, comfy chairs, radio or TV, plenty of bench space & lots of tools.

7. Kombi Kapers

Lorraine,
    You're pretty close to the mark, the house is in Cootamundra. In this part of town the houses are about 80 years old with rear dunny lanes and big back yards with room for a game of cricket. Neighbours still grow lemons and tomatos and cucumbers etc. and have time for a chat over the fence or share a beer and a yarn under the shade tree after dinner. The 91yo lady across the laneway brings my bin in for me and lets me pick plums and peaches at Christmas. Neighbours look out for each other without being intrusive, maybe water some plants or mow the front verge for them. Those of you who grew up in the 60's, like me, will understand.

8. Kombi Kapers

New Home for Professor Plum - UPDATE 20/9

Earthworks have started, still needs some levelling and compacting ready to lay down the frame for the concrete.

John

Attached Files:

9. greenbay

greenbay New Member

i wish i could get the house and block of land on the coast next to a right hand point break(maybe something a bit like angourie)for the same price as coota:lol:

10. Kombi Kapers

i wish i could get the house and block of land on the coast next to a right hand point break(maybe something a bit like angourie)for the same price as coota:lol:

"Tell him he's dreaming!" :p

Probably needed to buy on the coast in the 60's. Still cheap in the country if thats your thing.

Cheers,...John

11. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

mmmmm Camp Coota :eek:

12. Kombi Kapers

Hey Mick, looks like I'll need to get those back gates back up real quick to keep out the riff raff. :p

Seriously tho, it's not a bad idea, I'll give it some thought. Will I see you at Old Bar?

Cheers,...John

13. Ozzie

Ozzie Member

Sure will mate :cool:
    Lanis ...Lot 106

14. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Good work John!!

Im still waiting for my shed to be built :(

15. Kombi Kapers

Professer Plum's New Home Update @ 11/10

The good news is the garage is now up and useable!

A window is going in this week which will complete the construction. After that it's -
    Connect the stormwater pipes including a tank water system
    Seal/paint the floor
    Connect to power and install electric light
    Re-install a back fence
    Remove the 2 garden sheds to re-enable clear access to the back yard. I'm looking for a new owner(s) for these sheds which can be unscrewed to de-install. Happy to give them away FREE to any Kombi Clubbers who are prepared to pick up from Cootamundra. Size of both is 10ft wide x 10ft deep x 6ft high at top of door.

So plenty for going on with for a while!

Next picture should be vehicles at home.

John

Attached Files:

16. Kombi Kapers

Progress Update 08/11/10

Latest garage photos attached - my window has been installed, and over the last few weekends I've cleaned and etched the concrete floor, and applied 2 coats of sealer. It's all looking good. Photos below.

Now waiting for the electrician's quote and the stormwater pipes should be connected shortly. Will be installing leaf guards in the gutters this weekend. Also seriously thinking about what shelving and bench space configuration to set up.

Looking forward to posting a picture with both vehicles ensconsed.

Cheers,...John

Attached Files:

17. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

That is looking mighty fine there John!

Just wait till you fill it up :lol:

18. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

so when do we move in John....hope thats big enough for all my cars....:lol:
    Great job...looks awesome....