New Home

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Roy, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

One thing I haven't been able to find is the location of the member. In the past this has been helpful when offering advice and help to someone who is local.

Ian

2. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Click on their avatar once and their profile info appears on screen.

3. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Like the new look and format!
    AlPal, unfortunately there is only one constant in life, and that is change..... especially in this computer, internet & technology driven world we now live in. You'll get used to it..... ;)

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Just kruisin thru the posts. Note that location of the poster is not displayed. Always a challenge to work out where peeps are with cars or parts available or wanted.

Whoops. Answer given while I was trying to type..

5. pr0phet

pr0phet Prophecy Enterprises

I would like this to be more prominent, I will put the question to the developers to see if we can get it next to user's avatar. Leave with.

6. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Okay..... Herein my view (a notoriously shallow and superficial one, consistent with the author of the view) in respect of this brave new cyber format. As with Al pal, I struggle with new technology although I query his ".... Old Fart...." metaphor, noting its very popular usage amongst like-minded old fart's. It is oxymoronic.... and tautological noting the very short lived nature of the phenomena? The tenure of an old fart is measured in minutes at best. However..... I digress.
    I loved the old format, which is no mean feat for someone who does not do forums ,nor spends half his waking hours trawling you tube and various other sites ,unlike his adult children. That said, .... It is a well-recognised axiom.... That he (or she )who stands still..... Goes nowhere.
    The last effort at forum change , I think, rapidly found common consensus.....Aaaargh!!!!!!
    It was a thrill to see acceptance of that articulate view ,
    .and the attempt., withdrawn.. .
    I am finding this new format, challenging but apart from my own well publicised shortcomings .....looking to be acceptable and I suspect ...... Okay..... in the long term.The benefits and improvement are not readily apparent to me .....but again..... noting my shortcomings, this will come as no surprise.
    I am aware of the tireless efforts of our moderators , and our beloved Melissa ( God bless her ) and the others the effervescent Lorraine , our sage kahuna and the tireless enforcer .... so in inappropriately named .....Old Man...not to mention the magician Mordred across the seas .
    I miss Not seeing at first glance, location of said poster in addition to the number of their posts .Similarly , date of joinder , which really should not matter ,.... but does. Mind you, some members went out of their way to disguise their location ..... which I confess ...... I found mildly irritating and unnecessarily prolix .
    I should be most grateful , if perhaps the "..Prophet.." might, in some very short exercise tell us the advantages of this new format.
    In the meantime, I am prepared to continue to learn my way through this new format, unlike the old new one. I simply gave up on that one and stopped posting and eventually.... stopped viewing.
    Ergo.... I am back..... and will persevere. One thing this new format has done, which the old one did not ..... Melissa gave me a trophy. I am not sure why......but as I suffer from raging low self-esteem....... I am very much looking forward to receiving it in the mail .???
    anyhow ..... to those of you involved .....

Thank you very much.
    JD in Adelaide

7. Alpal

Youse gets what youse deserves JD!

8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

JD, as an attachment to the glass via suction (spelling ???) I have states "I'd rather be an old fart than a young dickhead"

We are all learning this new forum look and the Moderators keep throwing things we find not as per old forum up to prOphet who is the designer/controller guru on making things work for us - he must be sick of me by now as I like you and the eternally grey nomad (alpal) see change as a challeng BUT as we raise things with him through the inner sanctum of Moderators Conference Table and they are being addressed to please us all - I'm finding this new "style" a challenge as I'm old school forum type and not a facelessbook, twitter/twatter/twerker etc user as this is home and where the bed is made - our learned oldman I feel may also agree :eek::rolleyes::confused: simples.........eek

9. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

On a positive less verbose number, to those spending the time & energy required to handle upgrade Mark I, and now MarkII....

Apart from the poster "location", ( as mentioned already, which would be a positive thing all round), the rest seems to fucntion well.

Yes, it's different, but even for someone as "puter illiterate" as me, it's is possible to use.

10. Alpal

Twerks OK but no one likes me!
    Don't really care but other less stable Kombiests may be traumatised!

11. pr0phet

Hello All,

The benefits / reasons for the change are many. But, the important ones are:

Vbulletin 4 is quite old now
    VBulletin 4 development was stopping
    VBulletin 5 is quite terrible (as we found out)
    VBulletin 5 is not going to improve quickly

Xenforo (this new fangled forum) is written by the guys that left VB when the company was taken over. They were responsible for a lot of the good bits in vb3 and 4 and wanted to take vb4 and newer releases forward in a different way. They were not allowed to and it seems that vb5 is testament to that fact.

Xenforo has a responsive layout so if you possess one of these new fangled 'tablets or flashy phones' you can view the forum and use it with ease.

Xenforo is in active development and has a large community around it.

We appreciate that a few things will not be ideal right away, but, as time permits we will address as many of the issues as we can.

12. Alpal

Thanks for the work prOphet

pr0phet likes this.
  13. pr0phet

Oh and you can see location now. :D

gazman and Grantus like this.
  14. Grantus

I have an ability to pick up enough words to cope with quite a few languages on the planet..................

But I absolutely admire your grip and understanding of the "techspeak" one, that makes no sense to me.

You are doing a fantastic job! :)

15. pr0phet

Thanks for the nice comments.

16. Alpal

Well that worked. Feel better now that someone likes me. But who? And why? Stalker?

17. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Someone liked a comment you put up - but we like you as well ;)

18. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Hi is there a way to fix a situation where you comment on a thread and afterwards you can no longer see that thread in new posts until someone else posts in it?

19. Grantus

There is! (I been playing with this new fangled forum)

First click "New Posts", then when that window is up, on the right top click "Recent Posts", and that will show the equivalent of the old style "Todays Posts"...;)

20. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Thanks Grant,

Any way to move this up next to New posts?