New Kombi?-things you should do and check

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by Mordred, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The electric solenoid valve sounds like a better option as it may solve a few potential problems. I can't really see any benefits of a tap. Easier to just clamp the line.

3. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

No tap on as original so no tap for me. Not something you need to address very often and the clamp works fine. Is it really a prob?

4. Tin Bits

Tin Bits Member

I installed the tap as unfortunately i cant leave my bus alone as far as working on it and i also have a hoist that makes life easy. When the bus needs a new filter or electric fuel pump having the availability to thrn the fuel off makes the jobs easy and once fitted i dont have to do it again.

oldman and Mordred like this.
  5. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Now that's scary Brian.

6. Big Dave 69

Big Dave 69 Member

I have fitted the tap as well, will do a search to find the details. iPad nearly flat! Oops didn't see the link Grantus posted, I did exactly as per that thread including the tap that I got through a lawnmower shop.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  7. chris taylor

I am not sure that fitting a tap as a measure of stopping a fire from spreading will work, who is going to get under a burning bus to try to turn of a tap, not me that's for sure, but as safety thing for changing hoses its a brilliant idea until, you have to change the hose from the tank to the tap. Then its back to square one. If there is one thing I am sure of , some one here will come up with a solution.

8. Big Dave 69

Big Dave 69 Member

Correct the tap isn't going to help prevent that fire but it does make the relocated filter change hassle free, which was located outside the hot engine bay to minimise a potential fire inducing failure. Put the correct hose on between tank & tap and it should last a long time as its not subjected to the engine bay heat.

9. chris taylor

G/day B D 69. As I see it the correct hose for todays fuels would have to be any hose that is equal to a hose SAE J30 R9 This hose is apparently impervious to just about everything but have not yet done my research to find out where to get it and what sizes does it come in. If we have 5.5 and 7.5 fittings do we get a 5ml id or a 5.5 id, same with 7.5.what I mean is do we stretch it over or push it on loose and clamp.

10. Joan Sheppard

Joan Sheppard New Member

Can anyone give me some direction, i am in the process of purchasing a 75 Kombi, looks fairly good, and i mean fairly, under no illusion of what i am about to do!
    I am after a good mechanic that can give me a road worthy, and give me a report on the car as well?
    The car is currently register in Tasmania, and will be in Melbourne Tuesday 6th March for that day only?
    Thank you ??

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

If 'fairly good' you certainly need a pre purchase check by a kombi savvy mechanic.
    Ensure he gives a written report on each item checked including wear and compression numbers.
    I had one done at lilydale where the guy lied about compression check following a report that lacked indication of each items condition.
    Sorry can't help in that area but someone local will.
    An indication of suburb/ area will help.
    A Tassie member may have an idea on history. Worth checking.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  12. 76kampa

76kampa Active Member

Yes.... well...I bought a kombi that "looked" fairly good lol
    They dont call them a money pit for nothing, but Its 42 years old so I expected it.

13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Fairly good often equates to nearly 40 yrs of expecting that it doesn't need any further work after being completed at factory other than occasional oil change and tyres.
    As you are joyfully discovering....the story that these things go forever is a myth perpetrated by ignoramuses who have no understanding of mechanics.
    In such case ignorance is bliss and they are the happiest ba###rds on the planet.
    ;)

14. David H

David H Well-Known Member

As I've posted before. I've met many Kombi owners...some whom say "It's the best vehicle I've ever had. Flogged it up & down the coast surfing & spent nothing." & the next owner whom says "I bought a Kombi & just had my hand in my pocket from day one. Eventually sold it 'cos I couldn't afford it". I reckon owner one sold to owner two:D.
    They have a life cycle on parts to keep them in tip top condition & being Kombis they forgive you if you don't do the required maintenance this year but even Kombis are only so patient. If not now it's soon!
    Bit like grandpas axe. 5 handles & 2 heads. It's been a great axe.:rolleyes:
    Fairly ..lay under it to see what you're buying;). Agree with cbus...find out it's history & see if that fits with what you're looking at. Picking the 'life cycle' of components in Kombis is most of 'what it's worth'. Some members here may help by viewing pictures or even doing an inspection.
    So where in Tas does it go back to on 7.3.18?
    Kombi patience....don't rush.
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/meet-gertie-the-76-sopru.56419/
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Wayne murray likes this.