New member - 76 T2 swagman in Brisbane

Discussion in 'New Members' started by BrissieRex, Feb 8, 2018.

1. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Nice find Rex. Nothing nicer than breathing life back into a beaut bus. Well, perhaps there is something just as nice ......... nice hanger shot - is Scone 25 March on the radar?

BrissieRex likes this.
  2. BrissieRex

BrissieRex Member

Thanks Rob, getting close now. No Scone this year - we normally try to get a along to the Great Eastern fly in at Evans head though.

3. evan&janine

evan&janine Active Member

Hi Rex, another local bus, good luck with the resto.
    Cheers.

BrissieRex likes this.
  4. BrissieRex

BrissieRex Member

Just a bit of an update on the progress to get Bruce back on the road - aim is to get along to the Busstop :)

The front and rear seats have been recovered (going for a cadburys top deck colour scheme) :

upload_2018-3-6_10-49-15.png upload_2018-3-6_10-49-26.png

New door cards reusing the original vinyl covering :

upload_2018-3-6_10-49-40.png

Rust work is nearly completed - it was pretty nasty under the windscreen on the drivers side :

upload_2018-3-6_10-54-58.png upload_2018-3-6_10-55-19.png

Looking better now!

upload_2018-3-6_10-56-57.png

Doglegs and floor nearly done

upload_2018-3-6_10-57-29.png upload_2018-3-6_10-58-40.png

Welding is meant to be finished today, then off to the panelbeaters to knock out a few dents and repaint the repaired areas.

Then its just a matter of putting everything back together the glass goes back in, then off for roadworthy - sounds simple!

Im having problems with fixing one of the rear quarterwindows - one of the frames is just too badly rusted - have a post in the wanted section if anyone has a spare lying around.

thanks, Rex

Barry likes this.
  5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Mate - you are banging out the welding. Well done

I like the chocolate look

Dunno how long they will stay clean though - maybe should have been brown with white, not white with brown

When did the green Type 3 appear?

6. BrissieRex

BrissieRex Member

Thanks Barry!

:) The off white seats are my wifes request - I would have preferred to stick with the brown, but apparently the off white is not too bad to keep clean.
    A local Lismore guy is doing the welding - cracker job so far.

The green type 3 belongs to my brother- he is also named Barry (my brother, not the car...) We have a fetish for late type 3's (mine is the white one)

upload_2018-3-6_12-50-48.png

OSF likes this.
  7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

oooohhhh......................love squares!

David H, Wayne murray and BrissieRex like this.
  8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi BrissieRex,
    Love the seat being original basket weave & the colours. Wife obviously makes good choices ( after all she's married to a Kombi owner;))!.
    Another air cooled afflicted owner. Look forward to meeting you at Bus Stop.
    Cheers

BrissieRex likes this.
  9. BrissieRex

BrissieRex Member

Sorry, this is probably turning into a 'refreshed my Kombi' thread :)

The panelbeaters have finished the painting of the repairs a week early! I think they wanted it out of the way. Will eventually go for a full respray, but this will do for now so I can put him back together and get driving;)

respray 4.jpg Respray1.jpg respray3.jpg respray5.jpg

10. BrissieRex

BrissieRex Member

Back home from the spray shop, and while I'm loving the minimalist look and fresh air, its time to put Bruce back together.

Heres how he looked stripped down after painting, and the first job was a massive cleanup to remove 4 decades of dirt inside all the crevices:

upload_2018-3-26_13-28-37.png

Everything we touched needed some loving. The wipers had siezed in the shafts and needed to be stripped down, cleaned up and lubricated before re-fitting.
    upload_2018-3-26_13-36-19.png

All the flipper windows had to have the rusted frames replaced. A couple were two far gone and thanks to Kombi Club member Bern who got me the part I needed.

upload_2018-3-26_13-38-56.png

We cleaned up all the window rubbers and they were in great nick, so we were able to salvage them all except the windscreen rubber. Did I mention that we broke the windscreen and the big passenger side rear window while removing? Luckily I was able to get replacements.

upload_2018-3-26_13-42-57.png

Next was to put the wiper motor back in, and install a new radio (I know, not a priority, but what the heck :p)

upload_2018-3-26_13-32-56.png

Then to the doors - all the locks were very stiff, so we pulled them out, washed and relubed, and now working (almost) like new. Refurbised door cards replaced with new clips, new door pulls and new outer trim on the drivers door, then refitted the doors
    upload_2018-3-26_13-50-12.png

Back to the dash, and we had to replace all the windscreen washer hoses as they were perished. Installed a new glovebox insert and lid, and cleaned up all the plastics.

upload_2018-3-26_13-53-3.png

Cleaned up the seat tracks and nstalled the re-upholstered seats

upload_2018-3-26_13-55-26.png

Installed the re-upholstered rocknroll bed:
    upload_2018-3-26_13-59-7.png

Attached Files:

Jethro, Wayne murray and David H like this.
  11. BrissieRex

BrissieRex Member

We were't game to install the windows ourselves, so got a glass fitter to come round early one morning and fit all the glass back. Took the two of them just 30 minutes and we are watertight! Put back the newly painted bumpers and side covers, and front nose VW badge. Started patching the areas on the poptop that had been worn through with years of corrugated roads, and put fresh pinchweld on the poptop lid. We had to refurbish all the sliding door mechanism and the locks - clever bit of kit that!

View attachment 37870
    upload_2018-3-26_14-3-39.png

Lots of other miscellaneous stuff, like putting on a new heavy duty anti-roll bar, new track rods (chasing a noise in the steering - its still there). The welder accidently cut through the brake fluid reservoir, so replaced that, and removed all the vacuum hoses to check for leaks as the brake booster doesnt seem to be working. We were unable to locate any 12mm vacuum hose, so replaced all the old hoses for now.

So nearly there now - things left to do are

- install a replacement air filter box and replumb all the hoses (the old metal canister air filter was long past its use-by date)
    - relace the brake fluid hose from the upper reservoir to the lower reservoir
    - replace the ball joints then get a wheel alignment

Probably lots i have forgotten, its been a busy week but I need to get back to work to keep the money coming in ;)

Just not enough time to make this years Busstop, but didnt want to cut any corners, so taking longer than I hoped.

Thats all for now!

Elsie 76, David H and Barry like this.
  12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Geez..................you dont muck round do ya!

Love your attitude though - "get out there and drive it!"

BrissieRex likes this.
  13. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You have been very busy haven't you. Done a lot of work in a short time,shame you can't get it finished for bus stop. Wish I had the energy to get stuck in and just do it.:eek: I like it.:):cool:

BrissieRex likes this.
  14. BrissieRex

BrissieRex Member

Okay, so just to put an end note on this thread, we have had a set-back. My brother was involved in a four car pileup before easter on the way home from getting the ball joints replaced. He had to be cut out, and has a broken leg and the other leg required surgery to re-attach tendons.

Bruce has substantial damage to the front, and damage to the rear.

The kombi is back in the shed for a bit while we consider our options.:(
    IMG_1687.jpg IMG_1692.jpg

15. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

BLOODY HELL!!

Not good.........................
    Hope all is ok with your brother - well, I think you know what I mean

BrissieRex likes this.
  16. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Wow I hope your brother is recovering well. That is a massive accident!

I can't believe it missed the whole front bumper and deformation panel.

BrissieRex likes this.
  17. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Crap ....... what a bummer after all that work and Bruce looking so good :(:eek:

Hope the brother is in good spirits and on the road to full recovery ;)

BrissieRex likes this.
  18. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

That’s not good....:(

What we all kinda dread ever happening......

BrissieRex and David H like this.
  19. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Hope your brother has a full recovery and is back up,moving again soon. Ouch :( Bruce on the other hand Isn't looking to good:eek::( he is looking a little bruised and battered.

BrissieRex likes this.
  20. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Aw....5hit! That's a big set back:mad:. Hope your brother makes a full recovery;). Does show how strong these things were built tho. Looks like it's gone into the back of a tray ute/truck to miss the more solid lower panels & subframe.
    You've got some thinking to do as there is a lot of work in a come back:confused:. I feel for you as I poled my first one.
    Not Cheers

BrissieRex likes this.