1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New member - 76 T2 swagman in Brisbane

Discussion in 'New Members' started by BrissieRex, Feb 8, 2018.

1. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Woah!! I hope your brother makes a full recovery. That is a big job to consider a repair.

BrissieRex likes this.
  2. BrissieRex

BrissieRex Member

Thanks all, my brother is one tough bugger - he phoned me while pinned and waiting for the ambo and jaws of life to apologise:D
    Nasty injuries, but the doctors are confident its all patched, and just a matter of time, healing and rehab.
    Really not worried about the kombi, its only metal - time and money can fix that.
    Unfortunately, he hit a new landcruiser and the bumper went underneath - not a scratch on the bumper!
    We have a plan to repair - it may involve titanium to match the new bits in his legs :cool:

melissa, Wayne murray and David H like this.
  3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I take it you are planning on rebuilding it? Has the chassis rails been bend at all? Just asking has the integrity of the body structure been compromised by the accident. If it has in my opinion is it worth looking for another kombi and using this as a donor for parts.

4. BrissieRex

BrissieRex Member

Hi Wayne, we are planning on rebuilding it at this stage as the front accident didn't impact the chassis - once we remove the accident damage and get a better look at it we will make the call. It will have to wait a couple of months.
    Yes, your right, a donor vehicle would be ideal when we proceed.

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Bugger.
    Hope all goes well for full recovery for your brother.
    A pity for the kombi given your attention to sorting things which most don't get.

Good luck on the next stage for your brother and the kombi.

Full cage next time ;)

BrissieRex likes this.
  6. Scott Neilson

Scott Neilson New Member

Just read through this post from start to finish. Bad luck with your accident & with your Brother getting hurt, but I am amazed with the work ethic you have had in getting that Kombi back to life & Bruce feeling good again. If your brother is anything like you he will be back running in no time.

BrissieRex and David H like this.
  7. BrissieRex

BrissieRex Member

Thanks Scott - to be honest, its my brother Baz who has the work ethic - I just do what I'm told! :D. He will be in a wheelchair for a while, but he is pushing hard at his rehab.
    We have sourced a couple of donors vehicles for the repairs to Bruce and will be starting on the repairs shortly ;)

The donor kombis are unrestorable due to the amount of rust and/or accident damage, so are good candidates.

Nose and A pillar donor:

upload_2018-4-24_11-18-15.png

Dash, windscreen, doors and rear bumper donor
    upload_2018-4-24_11-14-52.png

8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

The grass will never grow under your feet BrissieRex;). Sure quick to get things sorted! May both brother & Bruce make excellent recoveries.
    Cheers

melissa and BrissieRex like this.
  9. Graham Hoyle

Graham Hoyle Active Member

Very sorry to read about your setback. This experience will only make you bond more with Bruce once he is back on the road again. Good luck with the rebuild and your brothers recuperation.

BrissieRex likes this.
  10. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Whoa!!!!! that's what you call in the weeds aka slammed :eek::confused::D

BrissieRex likes this.
  11. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Hi Brissierex.
    Have just read your story from beginning to now and look forward to reading the follow up chapters,
    I am totally blown away by you and your brothers attitude and determination to get Rex back on the road after such a massive set back .Hope your dreams to fully restore Rex works out successfully for you both .
    Regards Chris

BrissieRex likes this.