1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Member About to Purchase a T4

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Chilly, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Chilly

Chilly New Member

Hello All,

I am about to purchase a T4 Caravelle.
    Pick up tomorrow , 07 Sept 2021.

looking forward to finding out more about these vehicles and mods done by owners.

I have a few things I would like to do but will have to wait until I a) see the vehicle and b) get it home.

priority will be to get it up and running, roadworthy and the rego.

may look at long term pop top conversation and a better fit out. Probably add a gas set up for cooking, fridge, shower etc.

happy to hear thoughts on mods going forward. Will post photos when I have actually got it.

thank you

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Hope it goes well.
    Installing gas and or sinks can create registration and insurance issues.
    Easier to avoid these and have a non installed coomer with 2.5kg gas bottle.
    Check local regulations.

12 /.240v fridges give better cooling and run well with deep cycle batteries and solar setups.

Wiz and Chilly like this.
  3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club Chilly! :)

Post up some pics as you go. What year model T4?

Enjoy the ride………. ;)

4. Chilly

Chilly New Member

That’s good info to know, thank you

5. Chilly

Chilly New Member

The T4 is a 1999

Grantus likes this.
  6. Chilly

Chilly New Member

7. Chilly

Chilly New Member

AE6F49C2-DAD5-47CF-BCE6-B052F2EC0D14.jpeg 2F8E0E29-8EB3-4D48-B63B-C33A6AB00C8E.jpeg

Syncro27 likes this.
  8. Chilly

Chilly New Member

Po
    Posted images

9. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Looks great - silver works well in a T4 - there is a T4 Caravelle down the road from me and it looks great apart from the big scrape down the side.

Is it an Auto or Manual? Petrol or diesel?

The T4s have a dodgy auto gearbox issue that can keep the van at the mechanics regularly.

10. Chilly

Chilly New Member

Hi,
    The Caravelle is a 2.5 petrol auto.

what happens with the auto?

paint not great on this…some poor respray work wrong colour on bonnet and then blended onto wing. I will fix these when I have it running. Thinking of swapping engine and box for a different combination. Preferably diesel. Any thoughts?

11. Chilly

Chilly New Member

O…and he swapped the wheels out with some crap steel rims with terrible wheel studs.

12. Syncro27

The auto's are a renowned weakness in the T4s and some T5s.

My brother was gentle on his T4 and it still cost him quite a few thousand $$$...

Its computer controlled too.

The last problem he had was actually a clogged pollution control element which made the computer think the van was struggling so it wouldn't change up a gear.

A quick clean out and it ran perfectly again.

Not always a modern auto gearbox problem is sourced in the gearbox...but many times it is and its costs big $$$

13. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Its around $6k to rebuild your gear box. Plus labour to pull it out an refit it around another $2k.
    One year V.w. i am not sure but V.W. bought out 6 different auto boxes to try and solve the problem.
    my mechanics say that if there still on the road then the auto box should be ok an has more than likely sorted out any issues fingers crossed. .
    Its worth you getting onto the https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/ in the u.k an do your research as they have heaps of them an go though al the issues you will get with this style van. I had a long wheel base T4 2003, manual, It just had lots of electrical problems , ending up getting rid of it as no one new how to fix it. Great van to drive an if it wasnt a money pit i would of kept it longer. cheers chuck

Syncro27 likes this.
  14. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Friend in Townsville had to get his auto rebuilt, lots of dollar and they wouldn't give a warranty due to the known problems with these boxes.

15. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

What is the matter with it now?

16. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

The 2.5 is across a few platforms - my R5 Touareg has the same gearbox - I have not had any issues but my son had one and it needed a valve body done. My 2007 Beetle had to have a valve body done as well - that was $4K - ouch.

17. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

I knew a guy wbo serviced the ambos (vw) on the mid north coast and beyond
    He said if you drive a t4 or 5 , if you expirience a feeling while driving that you think you drove over a cattle grid your about to have a monumental failure.
    I relayed this to a guy who's company I help buy an ambo on a dealer auction site.
    He won the bid. 3 weeks later he rang me and said he just ran over a cattle grid
    This was some years ago. VW gave him a new trany, he paid to have it replaced and send the damaged one back.
    Don't know if that would happen today.

oldman likes this.
  18. Syncro27

My bro was telling me there was 8 revisions of the T4 auto over a 5 year period.

They are hard to rebuild as there are parts from each version that are NLA and parts between many of the versions are not interchangeable.

It was a real dogs breakfast of an auto gearbox and a few have done manual conversions to get away from them but keep the rest of the van which was still working well.

19. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I thought the majority of the issues were with the early T4’s, and from 1998 onwards, they were a bit better.

20. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Buddy of mine had a manual T4 and reckons it was the best vehicle he’s ever owned ….. He’s a builder and used it daily for many years. The body was getting a bit shabby so he decided a more presentable vehicle was in order.
    He sold it to upgrade to a T5 and has untold engine troubles since and really regrets selling the T4.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Syncro27 likes this.