1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New member GW2200………

Discussion in 'New Members' started by GW2200, Nov 24, 2021.

1. GW2200

GW2200 New Member

Greetings,

My credentials are: 1982 - 1992; green & white 1979 automatic T2 Trakka campervan
    1993 - 2005; white Audi sedan 5+5 (delightful car, but I pined for VW T2/T3)
    2006 - 2015; white & yellow 1989 automatic T3 Trakka campervan
    2016 - current; white 1989 Syncro T3 Trakka campervan

And, before all of that: from 1970, nothing but beat up old VW Beetles (five, I think).

So, happy to join the forum.

Ryszard

Syncro27 likes this.
  2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to KC Ryszard…..
    Sounds like you have been well and truly bitten by the VW bug !
    Take your time to familiarise yourself with the different Sections of the Forum.
    Lots of good, proven info. to be found in the Stickies at the head of each Section.
    Every question you have will have been asked by someone before ….;)
    Jump in and ask away…….and don’t forget to let us know how and what you learned along the way….
    it’s how we all gain knowledge.
    Enjoy the ride :cool:
    Cheers,
    Mark

3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Ryszard & welcome. Syncro Trakka ............very nice:).
    Cheers

4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club Ryszard! :)

Enjoy the ride……….. ;)

5. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Welcome Ryszard to the KC, You got a few, keeps you bussie and out of trouble ,Enjoy it which ever one you drive.

6. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

Great credentials!
    Welcome

7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

G’day and welcome.

jump in. Ask questions and pass on your ideas and knowledge.

Looking forward to some pics

Has the Syncro had something added to the motor?

8. GW2200

GW2200 New Member

When I had the engine rebuilt it was by a VW mechanic (Porsche trained & VW performance expert) he installed Gowesty 2200cc cylinders, CB Performance camshaft and rockers to give the Syncro more torque (grunt) and mindful not to stress the engine beyond its design parameters. I wanted the torque for stronger off road ability. Top highway speed a little less and engine noise on idle a little higher and slightly rumbly, but healthy. Runs beautifully and you can feel it has grunt when needed.

Syncro27 and oldman like this.
  9. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

@GW2200

thought that was what was there.

Nice

10. GW2200

GW2200 New Member

Good detective skill, Sherlock; can I hire you sometime, lol.

11. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

The low rev torque is really a prerequisite for an off-road vehicle.

You have had a and have a great selection of vehicles - love to see photos of them:D

Welcome to the Kombi club by the way

12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Unless I’m mistaken, only the syncro is the current vehicle, and the others have moved on….. :rolleyes:

Barry likes this.
  13. GW2200

GW2200 New Member

Will put photos up once I learn how to do it - there’s not much upstairs in me when it comes to computer stuff. I have altered and improved nearly all the mechanicals of my Syncro which may be of interest, if not, let me know - no offence will be taken.

Firstly, it has front and rear Peloquin auto-torque biasing differentials and a rear diff lock. The viscous coupling has been replaced with a new drive shaft (Gowesty) and solid connection and, a decoupler installed. Viscous couplings have a limited life and deteriorate often before you realise it. I decided against a front diff lock because of the steering difficulty it posed. The front Peloquin diff allows me about eighty per cent traction plus normal steering ability. The rear Peloquin diff obviously runs permanently, thus I have LSD type (though better) traction all the time. In a nutshell, if I am silly or unfortunate enough to get into serious traction trouble I can engage the front Peloquin diff and the rear diff lock. Nothing is perfect, but this does help a lot….haven’t been stuck so far.

There are other things as well…………..

Syncro27, Wiz and Wattie like this.
  14. GW2200

GW2200 New Member

Ok, some other things (suspension bits)………: I replaced the 14 inch alloy wheels with 15 inch ventilated steel wheels (Mercedes) because of a little extra lift and from 1970s outback experiences I found I could re-shape bent steel and keep going; alloys, once cracked or damaged otherwise there was no going. Alloys are lighter (weight advantage) so it’s also about compromise. Tyres are really personal preference and mine are Goodrich AT 205/75 KO2 - important to have notched rubber protruding from the tread for bite.

To get meaningful extra undercarriage clearance I went for the Gowesty two inch progressive lift coil springs and to compensate for the extra strain on the CVs, Porsche 930 axles/CVs were installed (virtually unbreakable) which also
    allowed greater articulation. The shocks are Old Man Emu (personal preference from experience). All suspension bushes have been replaced using original VW parts. The VW bushes simply work quietly and last.

I’m happy to write this stuff if others can get something useful from it or just curious. There’s more, but it’s not a set of steak knives.

Wiz and oldman like this.
  15. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

@GW2200

Can’t wait for pics and maybe so stories of where you have been.

Your setup sounds fantastic

Syncro27 and Wiz like this.
  16. GW2200

GW2200 New Member

Just finished feeding my fish and free range parrots, plucking weeds and pruning in my garden and here I go again:

More things (braking)……: the standard Syncro brakes are adequate for a couple of passengers in an empty tin top - not so for a campervan conversion. The extra weight of comfort living (stove, fridge, bedding, chairs/table, wife’s cosmetic bag and wardrobe, etc) and carrying survival necessities (food, water, tools, spare parts, extra fuel, awnings, etc) adds noticeably to that beast of burden, Syncro. The front disc brakes have been replaced by a Big Brakes disc set (there are various options as to which maker/brand) and the rear drums were replaced by heavy duty finned drum brakes. Rear drum brakes (enclosed) don’t suffer from dust and grit being stirred from the front tyres like discs do. Since fitting these brakes I have never ‘smoked’ my Syncro brakes (standard brakes I did several times). Also, the brake lines were changed to stainless steel braided ones for strength and resistance to sharp or stubborn undergrowth across terrain.

Still more stuff to come, if I’m not boring anyone………

Syncro27 likes this.
  17. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

nope

:D:D:D

18. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

you wife obviously doesn’t read this forum

Syncro27 likes this.
  19. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I have a Caravelle C tintop that I go camping in.
    I have smoked my brakes few times - especially coming down from Walcha

The main problem I have had is making sure the “bias” is set correctly between front discs and rear drums.

Where did you get the finned drums??

20. GW2200

GW2200 New Member

Regarding the brake biasing, perhaps the brake proportioning valve has become faulty.

I got the finned drum brakes from Gowesty about three years ago, however it appears it no longer has them. Instead it now sells rear disc brakes - good for sealed road driving.

My wife has a great sense of humour, lol