1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New member looking for a kombi

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Bunya Nut, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Bunya Nut

Bunya Nut New Member

G’Day I’m stew and located in Newcastle.

I have just started looking for a kombi and need some advice. I’m interested in a late 70’s model with 2lt engine. I’m not interested in a Camper, just a stock version.

Are there any years I should avoid? I think I heard 1977 was the year kombi’s stopped being made in oz and were then imported from west Germany ? Are the German ones better?

What about auto vs manual? Should I avoid autos?

I notice some of the late 2 Lts are fuel injected? What’s your thoughts?

Do people use their kombi as their primary vehicle? Are they too old for this? Note I have had other old cars in a previous life time and am mechanically sympathetic and not in a rush to get to any destination ;)

Are there any dealers or people I could talk to near Newcastle ?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide. Cheers Stewart

TeeBee and Mr Beckstar like this.
  2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Welcome Stewart. There are no dealers. If you go to Nymeyers at Belmont North he will tell you not to buy one - Sutto put up a photo of an orange bay for $30K out the front recently.
    As for auto or manual - it depends on what you like to drive.
    I wouldn't have a kombi as my only vehicle (says the owner of 3 kombis and a Touareg, a Beetle and a Golf). Just keep your eyes open and come along to Old Bar on the October long weekend and you may find one or 2 for sale amongst the 140+ that will be there.

rstucke, TeeBee, Bunya Nut and 2 others like this.
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Welcome Stewart to the Kombi Club,
    Great questions that I'll attempt to answer with my personal bias;).
    Mid 75 to end 76 be the best steel & seam sealer & thus less rust. Until resto mine was a daily driver for 35 yrs. Fuel injection is a bit hit or miss:eek:. If you get a good one 'you can't break it' & if you get a bad one 'you can't fix it'! The time between overhaul on F/I is twice that of carb:D. I've sent you a PM with my phone number.
    Agree with Melissa. Old Bar be a must for anyone seeking a Kombi:cool:.
    Cheers

rstucke, Wayne murray, TeeBee and 2 others like this.
  4. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Yes they did go back to production in Germany for 77 model an later.
    77 up have a better excelerator pedal setup that doesnt flop around like ealier model. Most have no behind seat bulk head ( unless x military issue)which allows to fit a swivel seat base to turn seat or fit the comphy T3 seats if yours are stuffed Also you an you can lay the seat back a fair way for a snooze if needed.
    Usually have the padded steering wheel which are comphy on long trips.
    Autos go o.k. in 2 litres but a little sluggish to get up to speed. Think they only have a 3 speed box so if you can drive a manual go that way.
    Fuel injection can go great if well looked after an youve got a good mechanic to look after it, other wise the good old stock 2ltr setup is a proven winner over many years.
    Theres quite a few places / dealers? that sell refurbished kombis which youll pay a premium for an theyll look shiny an pretty.
    Dont think youll get much change out of high $25/30,000+ dollars for one from them.
    Look on the resto forums so you can see what issues people are dealing with as more than likely you get them oo be aware of them whilst searching for your bus.
    Try and find an original paint car thats not been repainted which can hide nasty repairs an way too much bog.
    Hopefully its got plenty of reciepts for all the years its been on the road to verify its been well maintained an the condition an age of the engine ,gearbox, brakes etc.
    As for the daily driver bit, o.k if your putting around an not doing 100klm plus daily trips to work.
    Remember, there an old car an most things could be nearly warn out or will need to be replaced of refurbished over time which can get costly.
    My friend drives a 77 for years as a daily, but gets it serviced every 5,000 klms. .
    Lastly, take a few for a drive an see what features you like as they do veri from model to model. Ask for a k.c. member to come an have a look at it with you to show you whats good or bad. Dont get hooked on the first one you look at, the right one will come along .
    Cheers chuck

OSF, rstucke, Wayne murray and 3 others like this.
  5. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Harry is an automatic and he goes fine albeit the engine oil runs a bit hot (that’s not necessarily anything to do with being an automatic - still working on it). I had Harry’s auto fully reconditioned when I bought him a few years ago and it cost about $1,800.

My best advice: beware the shiny kombi! If it’s been resprayed anytime in the last few years then demand photos of the repairs that were done. Check whether the repairs are comprehensive and done correctly. Best thing is to see the whole vehicle blasted back to bare metal and new panels welded in where required. If the seller can’t show you that information before asking for a deposit, walk away. The reason is, cheap repairs will start rusting and come through the paint within a couple of years and in my experience is that there are a lot of kombis around that have this type of cheap repair. You don’t want to pay top dollar for a shiny kombi and then find you’re up for many thousands of dollars of repairs a couple of years later.

I don’t think there’s a significant difference between German and Australian manufacture. More important, is how the Kombi has been treated during it’s lifetime and the extent of maintenance over that time.

I have no experience with the fuel injected version. Original Solex carburettor version works well but only if well maintained and kept original. You can get a professionally reconditioned set of Solex carbs for under a thousand dollars. If original carbs are replaced with another brand (e.g. Webers) then it could be hit and miss as to whether the job has been done properly. Only a test drive by an experienced person could identify that.

Personally, I’d steer clear of dealers. Best to go to Old Bar and talk to a few knowledgeable Kombi Club people. They may know of a good kombi for sale and that’s your best bet for avoiding a lemon.

Kombis can be a reliable daily drive although I’d recommend against that if e.g. you have a long commute on the freeway every day. Whether it’s reliable depends completely upon how well looked after and maintained it’s been.

There’s also a thread in this forum on buying a kombi which I highly recommend you read and printout the checkpoint list.

Happy hunting.

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

@Bunya Nut aka Stew aka Stewart ..... welcome to the party that never ends.

Check out the Vehicles For Sale Section on here as there are a couple of decent Kombi's listed - Myfawnwy by Doc has had all the work done for safety and reliability ..... may not be everyone's colour scheme but it was his daughters kombi he built for her ;):D:cool:

Bunya Nut, rstucke and Mr Beckstar like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2019
    Grantus, rstucke and Mr Beckstar like this.
  8. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Welcome Bunya Nut. What year you get is really up to what you like. I'm also bias towards 72 the change over year I like a challenge:D. Most bay kombis in Australia are made in Germany,some where assembled in Australia and from 77> they where fully imported due to the take over of the plant in Clayton Victoria,government would also have something to do with it. I think the later 77> ones from Germany weren't treated as well as the earlier ones on the inside chassis rail etc which causes more rust and also how people look after them.
    I use mine on a daily basis , in fact I don't own a modern piece of crap,which I can do most thinks with my old car,I just maintain it on religious basis,at a cheap rate then a modern one. Best of luck with you search,wherever it takes you.

rstucke, Mr Beckstar, TeeBee and 2 others like this.
  9. Bunya Nut

Bunya Nut New Member

Wayne this is excellent news! I service my current car every 5k with new oil and filter. What engine size is your kombi ? Can you do the occasional long distance trip without fear of it failing? I’m happy travelling at a max speed of 95km/h. Cheers stew

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  10. Wayne murray

Two of mine both have 2175 cc (type 1 engines) in them.I would jump in either of them tomorrow:rolleyes::) and do a long trip without fear of braking down:eek::(. I do carry spares:D which you should anyway,in case of any misfortune,plus road side assistance.
    regards Wayne

rstucke, Mr Beckstar and David H like this.
  11. David H

Meticulous is waynes attention to detail in building & maintaining his buses & don't believe him if he says he's got a stock engine;). Kombi's are on a 5,km service cycle & if you religiously observe that you're starting right. As you get more km's on the bus you'll learn to 'read' what's next other than oil/filter change:cool:. I'd happily go any distance in my 2 ltr F/I at better than 110km/h:). Wayne prob still get there before me:(.
    Cheers

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Mr Beckstar, TeeBee and Wayne murray like this.
  12. Wayne murray

I got a bad reputation:eek: :(going to Stanthrope in last years komvoy;):rolleyes::D

13. David H

You did Sir;) & so does @chris taylor:). Rebels with no joy of understanding the cruise:( & the joy that can be had:cool: with a shared journey:p.
    Cheers

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Mr Beckstar likes this.
  14. David H

Had a chat with Stew & he lives 5 doors from my 36 year service relationship retired kombi mechanic. Go figure:rolleyes:. How small is Newcastle?
    Cheers Johno;) ex J & W Mechanical:cool:

Mr Beckstar and melissa like this.
  15. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

16. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

It's not our fault yr bus is not up to scratch, power wise, DH lol hahaha.I was with you lot until we got to Tenterville then you disappeared into a munch shop to feed your worms n u didn't bother to fill me in on yr plans .
    A lesser man would have felt unwanted

17. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Poor old DH, JUST didn't have enough puff on the day.

Mr Beckstar, Wayne murray and David H like this.
  18. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I wish Johno would come out of retirement :(

Mr Beckstar and David H like this.
  19. David H

Me too;).
    Cheers

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  20. deeksy62

deeksy62 Well-Known Member

Giinagay Bunya Nut,
    I use my Kombi as my daily and have done for the past 4 years, commuting from Sawtell to Coffs each day. Keeping it running well is sometimes a challenge, it is now 45 years old.
    Travelling distance? I have traveled from Sawtell to Mildura and return, around 3000km several times, no significant issues with the distance, up to 1000 km per day.
    As others have mentioned, a range of spares are sometimes important!
    Keeping up with traffic is not an issue, although I will admit that I did get booked traveling to Old Bar one year, 122 km/h on the old Pacific Highway. Couldn't believe it, but there you go, double demerit weekend as well!! Bugger!!
    I have a 1974 poptop Kombi with an 1800 engine, bought 10 years ago from Brian K, a member here.
    Living so close to the beach, it has some rust issues that I'm looking at having done, doglegs, windscreen surround, A pillar, plus a couple of hanging panels - door and rear hatch.
    I have invested more in the mechanicals than body work, new heads, distributor and a rebuild of the brakes, alternator and steering box (waste of money!)
    Old Bar is probably a good suggestion, lots of people/kombi's and stories -some true, others questionable!!!!! Great bunch of people to steer you in the right direction.

Just a heads up, if it has different seats, pop top or other modifications, check the provision or availability of the appropriate engineering approval.
    The seats, seat belts and poptop in mine have engineering approved, as does the 240 volt installation, makes registration and insurance less complicated.

Good luck in your search, I'm sure your kombi will find you in the end.

Steve