New member needs some help!!!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Jako, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Jako

Jako New Member

Hello! So I’ve taken the plunge and bought my first 1976 Kombi campervan! I used to own one twenty years ago in the UK and loved it so have finally got another! We live in Fremantle WA and need some help!

I’ve recently taken the van to have it checked over and found out the front bench seat is not compliant as they have been retrofitted from a Ford Transit and its only registered to carry two people. We are a family of three (2 adults and a 3 year old). The family loves it but we are stuck and going nowhere which is frustrating! We obviously would like to take the van on adventures but it’s currently not fit for purpose! Can I have some advice please to make my camper into a registered three seater. Thank you for your help.

BusyBear likes this.
  2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Welcome Jako to the KC : Did they mention why it isn't compliant to WA laws and what is needed to make it compliant? I don't know what happens in WA but in NSW you would have to get engineered to approve it.
    You can go back to the two front seats that are meant to be there and have a rock n roll bed in the back but it still will need to be approved for use by the sounds of it in WA. Hope it goes well for you.Then enjoy your ride wherever it takes you.

3. Jako

Jako New Member

Thank you Wayne.

I’m going to take it into the engineers next week to see if I can get a certificate to ok the bench seat. If that fails I’ll have to put the originals back in and then look at buying one of the ADR approved rock n roll beds from Just Kampers....

I’ll keep you posted!

Cheers for now, Jako

4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Jako, 1st up welcome to the party that never ends ;)

Compliance Plate would state Seats: 2 - any extra have to be engineered certified and plated ..... every seat must have a seat belt ...... 3yo I expect would still need to be carried in the rear section and not in the front seat.
    How the transit bench seat is fitted could also be the issue ie. not mounted on the factory installed runners or to the wheel tubs in an approved manner.
    Laws differ from state to state eg. in Qld if you sell a vehicle privately the seller must provide a road worthy so the buyer can transfer the title/ownership with the RTA into their name - buyer can waive but becomes their responsibility to get RWC before it can be transferred into their name.

5. Jako

Jako New Member

Hey Kahuna!

Thank you for the message. It’s the mounting of it that’s the issue and agree I’d like the little one to be in the back. I’m off next week to see an engineer!!!!

I’ll keep you posted!

Jako

6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Welcome to KC Jako,
    Mounting of all 'transport positions' is going to be an engineered approval for anything over 2 occupants if that's what's on your compliance plate. As Bert says "it's a state to state thing". When you finally get thru this you'll find a very handy bolt/nut down the back for the child seat!
    Cheers

7. Jako

Jako New Member

Cheers David,

I look forward to celebrating!

8. KahunaKombi

If you've got the original seats then that would be the way to go - hopefully guides and runners haven't been butchered by previous owner + you get the walk through to the back.
    RnR rear seat/bed - JKA or Kustom Kombi (Aussie Made and some say better quality but I can't comment from experience). KK one is currently having supply constraints and along with that communication issues back to clients FYI.
    Alternate solution would be a front seat set up (has a single for driver and bench for 2 passengers) from a "Kombi" Ute either single or dual cab - chance of finding though could be hard - a front seat set up from a VW T3 may also fit the '76.

9. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

Get some local knowledge. The vwclubwa guys know lots. They meet the first wednesday of every month at alfreds in guildford (ok, not close). As for engineers, Bernie from Munster Garage is a guru in all things vw.
    Get to this.
    FB_IMG_1509923224800.jpg

10. Jako

Jako New Member

Hi Tangles!

Thank you so much for this. I was planning on going to the event and I will make time to speak with Bernie from the Munster garage and check out the VW Club WA for sure.

Take it steady,

Jako

11. Jako

Jako New Member

Cheers all!

Thought I’d update on my bench seat exercise! Looks like my front seats can be made complient with a little jiggery poker... new head rest and s couple of small bolts should do it.

I’ve also put my name down for one of the JKA rock n roll beds when they arrive. Couple this with my new crab bar and static seat belts, the guys at licensing will be happy give me compliance for a 5 seater! So just have to wait for the seat to arrive. I did try the guy as Kustom Kombi but didn’t get a reply. If he had one in stock I’d order it now but....

As for Bernie, he’s a mate of a friend of mine and will be going to Munster soon to introduce the old girl and get some advice on a few other areas requiring attention!!!

I’ve also found a great family not too far away who are happy for me to trace their internal door cards for me to start cutting my own from 3.5 mm Marine ply which I’ll then oil and wax!

I’ve purchased four old original Rims from a 75 Kombi getting those refurbished, topped off with four original (slightly dented) hub caps from a guy in the US.

So it’s slowly coming together!!!

I’ll take a couple of shots with progress if people would like to see.

So thank you all so far!!!!!

Enjoying the ride,

Jako

Geoff Dearden likes this.
  12. KahunaKombi

Kicking goals ...... like many of us kombi (air cooled VW) time is an unknown time when doing or getting things done - afterall we don't want to rush things only to have to re-do them :eek:

grumble likes this.