1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Members

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Roy, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

As @Barry mentioned, I’m admin on T3 Owners Australia on Facebook. We have a really great helpful community Australia wide with, I guess 20 active members in Brissy :) just remember to agree to the group rules and answer membership questions to join ;)

The Outsider likes this.
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Why is T3OA only accessible to view / read for “wastebook” members, and no one else?

Is that a chosen setting by the admins?

I visit and read a lot of supplier FB sites without issue, but T3OA, has different settings, and not visible.

I had a good read of KC without participating, to see if I wanted to join, but that’s not possible at T3OA, and I wonder if I’m not the only one? o_O

oldman, Syncro27 and Luckyphil like this.
  3. Tim100

Tim100 New Member

Thanks everyone for welcoming me to the Forum.

I thought I would share the story of how we purchased our T3 as it might amuse a few of you. My wife and I have been wanting a T3 for a while. She plans to use it for her business. I have dreams of camping and mountain biking trips. I am a risk-averse type, wanting to cover off every contingency, whereas my wife shoots from the hip (or more accurately, from her heart). We have inspected a few vans, but each time we thought we had a good one, the pre-purchase mechanic made us think twice. This time around, my wife put up a good argument to buy the van without a pre-purchase inspection.

I did all of the basic checks that my very limited mechanical skills could, but at the end of the day, it was really about the ‘vibe’ and that the seller seemed like a ‘nice guy’. Was this going to be an expensive mistake? Would we regret our rash decision?

The first few days of ownership were great. We drove the bus around a fair bit, racking up maybe 100kms. However, things started to unravel following a run up to the Blue Mountains by my wife - about a 150km round trip. On the second-last corner before she got home, a large plume of white smoke billowed from the rear, and proceeded to seep from the rear vents when she parked. After some quick googling, I theorised that we had a head gasket failure, and that we had been sold a lemon.

My wife was stricken and said that I was quite entitled to say “I told you so.” I grandly told her that I had no intention of doing that. (I would store this up for when I really needed it).

The next day I had a closer look at the engine, willing the Gods to lead me to some simple problem that we could laugh about later. And they did…! The coolant sensor had popped off the bottle. The plastic thread had worn away. This must have led to coolant splashing onto the engine, creating the white smoke. We purchased the replacement part the next day and no white smoke since!

oldman, cbus, Miss Rosie and 7 others like this.
  4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

You will laugh over that in the future for sure.

That said - make sure you have the correct coolant in there and never top up with tap water.
    De-mineralised water only

Tim100 likes this.
  5. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

T3OA is a private group for a few reasons. Firstly, we were trying to build a community without all the bickering/points scoring/bitching that prevails on most of the other VW pages….if the group was completely public and open then anyone can comment etc and so as admins we have no control over the people commenting. As a private group, people who don’t follow the ethos of the page are removed. The other reason is that we wanted a 100% Aussie based membership. This is to try and have any technical info shared directly relevant to our unique Aussie T3’s without Federal/California/Euro specs confusing matters.
    All the feedback we’re getting is that it’s working. We have a great community of members in every state who are happy to help out with knowledge and parts…(without the usual VW surcharge). A lot of transactions on the page are of the pay it forward type so the whole community benefits. We are sitting at about 1200 all Aussie members at the moment….maybe it’s time for you to join us too ;)

Alpal, Wattie and KahunaKombi like this.
  6. Grantus

Hey Chris,

I get and fully understand the moderator issues, and why you want to keep it 100% Aussie based membership, and controlled.

You are not the first inviting me to join, and thanks again, but I still resist joining up to any forum /page , before I know what I am actually joining.

As I don’t do social media, and even though I have not disclosed all my required info to join Twitter or Facebook, I am still able to view many pages on either of those platforms, as a “read only”. Should I wish to reply, I happily accept, it is not an option unless, I sign up to the platform, and then the group.

Many friends have family “private group facebook pages”, to keep in contact with relatives around the planet, but solely for the invited family members to participate in, which is infact, the only valid reason I’ve come across for being a “wastebook” member!

Anyone can view the Aussieveedubbers, Kombi Club, Brickyard, etc forums, but cannot reply or participate unless they are a member. ;)

Is that “Read only, and see if you would like to join, but not participate unless you are a member” format, just not an option for T3OA? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
    tintop and Syncro27 like this.
  7. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

It maybe an option but it’s not the way we have decided to go with the group. I appreciate that that’s inconvenient for some but we believe it’s better for the community :)

8. Grantus

Fair enough.

I remember when it started, Carl found me at Old Bar, to tell me about the new T3 community, and invited me to join, and gave me a T3OA sticker.

I was keen, and asked him for the addy. I hope I hid my disappointment, when he told me it was just a Facebook page……..:(

Like the Kombi Club Facebook page, I don’t participate, mainly because the difficulty to research any valuable info, although you can read that page without being a member.

Maybe it’s just me, but I wonder how many other prospective T3OA members are not part of the group, because they can’t see what it’s like, before signing up?

If you have 1200 members now, have you considered an online forum, & searchable website, with members only allowed to participate, like KC? :rolleyes:

Just saying……….;)

tintop likes this.
  9. MartyVS

MartyVS New Member

Grantus, like you I am resistant to joining stuff on social media - although in my quest to sort the wheat from the chaff to find realistic and efficacious T3 Syncro resources, I've joined a few. Having yet another online forum and searchable website makes me sigh with exhaustion. I recently joined a Syncro Australia forum, encouraged by another trusted VW enthusiast, in a quest to fine a Melbourne based Syncro transmission expert and that forum has the pulse of a hibernating reptile.....

10. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

I’m not sure how many more members we would gain by taking T3OA off of FB and running a side forum, or if it would even be beneficial to the group. The inability to search for info is something that a lot of non-FB people bring up repeatedly as a reason for not joining. If these people tried the page they would find that the search function works really well, in fact, often more comprehensibly than the search function on this forum as an example.
    Ultimately it is what it is. As with so many things in this world it isn’t possible to please everyone all the time.

11. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree, one of the worst functional parts of facebook is not being able to search for particular posts in groups. There is a lot of good info that flicks by but you can almost never find it again afterward.

Lots more problems with it too, but I find that one of the most frustrating.

Adrian

12. Grantus

All good Chris! :)

Keep it ticking along…………. And if ever I decide to sign up to social media, I may just drop by. :rolleyes:

Dapom likes this.