1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Members

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Roy, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Sambadude

Sambadude New Member

G' day i new on here too , glad i'm not the only one LOL 8)

2. Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey New Member

Faerkal...u might find the ride of your dreams if u hang around some of the backpacker hostels in Brisbane or Byron Bay. Backpackers fly out of Brisbane leaving their rides behind...sometimes a bit desperate to sell I would think. They will have to have a safety certificate so the vehicle should be pretty roadworthy.

CM

3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Sambadude adn Mrchew - don;t be strangers and visit and post regularly :lol:

4. scruffey

scruffey New Member

Hay peeps iam from brisbane just got my first car VW kombi 74
    1800cc iam 17 and i need a lil help doing up my car. me and the old man have a few things but only the basics.

5. brookie

brookie Guest

Welcome Scruffey- you will get lots of support from forum members and Brissie has lots of them

6. Beno

Beno New Member

Hi All, i actually own a wrx but i am planning on selling it to buy a kombi and travel around oz!

Any thoughts or suggestions on makes/models would be much appreciated as my knowledge of these machines is limited at best!

7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

In regard to Mr K's question: -" hmmmmmmmmmmm. I'm not sure about you "low rider, cutting the lawn, minimal clearance" types!!
    I like to adjust my clutch without a jack!!
    If my bus is going anywhere (other than forwards!!) it's UP!

When are "Creatives" going to come up with a "Bus Raising Kit" ? That's what I'd like to know!!
    (not that I'd buy one, 'cos I'm perfectly happy with the way she is now!!)

Welcome to "Argument Central" Sambadude! "

Its easy, just carry 4 bricks for a complets lift and only use two when you are winding up the clutch.[/quote]

8. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

4 bricks!!! :lol:
    Maybe this one should be a tech help sticky!!! :wink:

9. KahunaKombi

Welcome Scruffey - plenty here to offer advice :lol:

10. KahunaKombi

Welcome Beno :D - look in the eBay watch and For Sale Sections then when you got a question please post to get feedback :roll:

11. thegreenpea

thegreenpea New Member

Hey everyone!
    Cool website
    Ive only ever owned kombis and ive been driving for twenty years
    Current model is a 76 microbus - complete rebuild-interior half done
    Only regret is trying to do a custom airbrush spray on the outside but could not get it right, ended up with 25 coats of paint..misses said that's enough
    Glovebox lid and dash is a work of art (thanks curl!).
    Love talking kombi's
    Will be posting photos when I work out how to do it
    Cheers

73kombi likes this.
  12. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome. Been to caves some years ago. Good beach and great rocks.

13. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

14. 1kombilover

1kombilover New Member

welcome thegreenpea, always good to meet a fellow kombi lover, i think you'll come to love this site, we do, cheers johnnie

15. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

here here johnnie :wink:

16. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Hi everyone!

I've been browsing this forum for a few days now (as a guest) and you have a great little community going here! 8) :)

I've never owned a Kombi although I've hitched many a ride in one (years ago...). :roll:

Every now and then I say to myself, "I should get a Kombi". I just reckon I'd love the lifestyle... so I am now looking around for one, preferably a camper but a van would be OK, I guess.

Now, I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, or handy, :? so, be honest with me :wink: :lol: :

Will I be buying a bottomless pit into which I continually pour money? :?:

Or, can I expect to find a reasonably reliable vehicle that can be maintained to roadworthiness (and long jaunts) reasonably easily and without too much conitinual impact on my hard-earned?

I mean, I don't expect to be as purist as some of you are in restoring your Kombis to pristine condition.

Whew!! Do you get what I mean?

Since I really want a campervan, I could go out and buy a Hiace or something, if that's more suitable for someone like me, but there's something special about Kombis, isn't there?! 8) :) I guess they have soul. 8)

I expect you guys to be totally biased but I can tell that you're a helpful lot. :)

I've seen ads for Kombi campers coming in around the $7,000 mark - do you reckon I could find something suitable (and reliable) around this price?

Thanks,

Baz
    from Quakers Hill (north-west Sydney)

17. brookie

brookie Guest

Welcome -YES-Kombis keep you young.
    They can be very reliable-most parts are easily available and the recommended suppliers and help on the forum is excellent.
    Plenty of advice and help if you find one and want it checked out.

18. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

bottomless pit of money , ummmmm
    now my good friend and new to k.c. club let me say welcome first

the modern car , well when it comes to running cost and repairs basic maintenance of kombi i dont think you will find a cheaper car on the road
    to fix despite what alot of mechanics will say oh a vw im staying away from that . why i say to myself there the most basic engine to work on
    go and get a timing belt belt done on any car i bet you would be paying $300 +
    brake pads $90 + just for the parts labour generally speaking is average cost per hour now in adelaide is $85 per hour
    why not go and do a motor maintenance course thru wea , or tafe and try and give things ago yourself , you will save heeps and have the satisfaction of saying yahooo i did that ,even if you learn to just change your own oil and filter its going to save you just the little things will save you money in the long run the trouble with people today is that there lives are so busy that they just dont care about the car its always put on the back burner , and if a keen eye a sunday stroll round your car was done to spot possible big repairs that sunday stroll wil save you in the long run , if you own any car its going to cost money its up to you to make sure it does not send you broke do what you can if you cant seek help . kombis can cost you alot of moneyat first but when you have it sorted out it will reward you mile after mile . why costly well your not going to find a new kombi out there . look at my pre purchase sheet too and if the kombi costs 15.000 k and theres one at 3.000 k ask your self why is this so , the one at 3.000 k might just have every thing you need with out the price tag .i bet if you where to look hard at other makes and models of campers in the long run you wont find better value than the vw kombi if your a member of a roadside assistance organisation they have prepurchase inspections there is also a number of willing people here to help thru our tech section and advise you to seek help study as much as you can before any purchase of any motor vehicle , your car . kombi , is probably the 2nd most expensive item other than the roof over your head that you will buy in your life so do it wisely hope this helps you yes im biased ! but wise ! love my vw's , and this is written in pure mechanichinese !!! from tom

19. Devoncamper

Devoncamper New Member

Poetry

pure poetry Tom! 8)

20. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

I will second that. 8)