1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Members

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Roy, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Gypsy Wannabe
    Go for the Kombi. Hi Ace drivers dont wave.

2. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Thank you all for the feedback and the warm welcomes.

A Kombi will be the goal and I will research and look around over the next few months.

The simplicity of Kombis is attractive. My first car (almost 30 years ago) was a Suzuki LJ50 (2-stroke) 4WD and you couldn't get much simpler than that. Suzuki drivers in those days used to wave too. :) :? Come to think of it, I did rebuild the gearbox, transfer case and replace the CV joints and propellor shaft myself, albeit with my brother (the more mechanically minded) sending me instructions on postcards as he travelled around Oz...! I guess it's just a matter of having the available time these days. :?

I'm sure I'll find something serviceable and be able to keep the costs down - I don't expect to rebuild it into showroom condition like some of your rides! 8) :lol:

Thanks again. I'll keep browsing these forums - there's a wealth of information in here.

Baz

3. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

Welcome GW.
    My older son (one of "da Boyz") is named Gypsy so I hope your moniker doesn't make him big-headed!!

I bought my bus on eBay for $1000.00.
    Had to freight it from Sydney for an extra $400.00.

Paint is rough, seats are rough, the odd little dent but not much rust.
    Just to keep it going has cost peanuts.
    When I start on the paintwork and interior I'll have to spend some dollars but I can choose when I do it and how long I spend on it.
    Like ttmck said, if you can do most of the bits and pieces yourself Kombis are very cheap to run.
    If I had a lazy $7000.00 I'd be looking at $4000-$5000 for a bus and have $2000+ to do the necessary jobs to get it where I want it.
    Plenty of help and advice here for you, including help with the purchase.
    If you modify your profile to include your rough location you'll find plenty of members who will happily look over a Kombi that you're thinking of buying. And, when you've got it, there's even more help in the Kombi Club to keep it going and to take it to any level of restoration you want.

Now, go shopping!!! :lol:

Ray & da Boyz

4. kombi76

kombi76 New Member

Hello and Welcome all!

Hi there would like to say Hello :D to all as I'm only new and to those who become members, you are in very good hands as i found out when I had some dramas! For those who are thinking of getting a Kombi and the awsome lifestyle 8) ......DO IT!!!! Go Shopping as Ray says!!!! :lol:

5. shannon

shannon New Member

i am 18. i have just bought a 1974 kombi with a pop top conversion, it also has a subaru liberty motor in it which gives it quite a bit of sting. The interior of it is shocking though, the guy who owned it before me used drill screws in absolutely everything and it looks hell dodgy. It hasnt been decked out yet in the slightest (not even a seat) but i am starting to gather stuff. Already got stove gas bottle and maybe carpet ready for the floor. Planning to paint it like a splittty, two toned with a v in the centre, white top and blue bottom. Was wondering what yous thought i should do first, interior or paint job. I got the car for 2 grand which i thought was a bargain. I am hoping to do it up as a bit of a show car and will post as many pictures as i can as soon as i take them. Everyone who has seen the kombi so far has loved it and i cant wait to hear what people have got to say once its finished.

6. brookie

brookie Guest

Welcome to Forum- sounds like a great project-good to aee another West Aussie. We are slowly building up :D

7. kom123

kom123 New Member

Greetings Shannon :)

IMHO if you want to do it as a bit of a show car, don't paint a V down the front of your Bay, save it for the Splitties :)

8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome all 3 of you and any I've missed - be regulars on here - it's great fun and you'll get hooked on here like you're hooked on your kombi's. :p

9. happy high

happy high New Member

just thought I'd pop in here and say hi. I've been a member for awile (no sticker in the mail yet!) but I've never introduced myself, how rude of me! I'm here on the sunshine coast qld and have make it down to Byron Bay for the kombi konvy for the mardigrass for the last 3 years. That's my baby in the pic. Nothing fancy but I love him. His name is Mr Dak! :D I used to own a 66 bettle but I'm so glad I upgraded.

10. 1kombilover

1kombilover New Member

welcome happy high, good to meet you, enjoy the site, johnnie

11. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

Belated welcome happy high and Mr Dak!
    You're in the right part of the world for plemty of support.

Are you going to Canberra in 2007??

Ray & da Boyz

12. purplepeopleseater

purplepeopleseater New Member

hi

:D hi , just found your site
    really into vw especially kombis total of 6
    1975 bay bus 2L
    2x 1975 bay dualcab ute 1800
    1975 kombi camper
    1976 kombi camper
    1971kombi panel van
    & a couple of vw based buggies

13. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

welcome to the site everyone, enjoy

14. almarker

almarker Member

Hello to all from Tasmania - we have just joined! Thought we might share our recent Kombi history with anyone who's interested...

We bought our first Kombi about 1 year ago - a 1975 camper. Being cautious we had a mechanical check done by the RACT who thought it was fine. We were really happy because there was hardly a spot of rust on the body and the canvas on the pop top was brand new, the van had a huge annex so we thought it was a real find! Having looked at about 50 other campers before this one, we thought we had found the Kombi. We were living in Melbourne at the time but had found this Kombi in Launceston, Northern Tasmania. We were moving to Tassie so flew down, picked up our new Kombi and planned to camp in it for a week while we found a house to live in around Hobart. It was all very exciting! We drove from Launceston to Hobart and were heading for a camp site south of Hobart when the engine started making some suspicious noises. These got louder and then suddenly the windscreen wipers stopped working - quite annoying in Tasmanian winter weather. Then the gear box started playing up and we couldn't find half of the gears we needed. Then the engine really siezed up, the fuel tank started to leak and we realised we'd bought the lemon of the century! We limped back to a mechanic who told us the engine was a complete goner so we packed up early and headed back to Melbourne.

Eventually we moved to Tassie and the search was on for a bus we could wreck that had a half decent motor. We found this Kombi in February but had to wait to do the rebuild until we had a lazy $3k kicking around. Eventually the money gods smiled upon us and we swapped over all the working parts from the bus in to the camper and got the damn thing back on the road!

They say you have to earn your Kombi and I believe we have!

We are really keen to get involved with any adventures happening throughout Tassie so if there are any other Tassie based Kombi lovers, we'd love to hear from you!

15. brookie

brookie Guest

They are all at Salamanca Markets :lol:

16. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

More and more - don't miss a day as more are joining - Welcome all new members not welcomed previously :D :) :lol: :wink: :p

17. kombi van man

kombi van man New Member

:D Hello to all!! :D
    I just thought i'd give a very warm welcome to all you Kombi lovers and introduce myself. :p :wink:
    My name is John, i am from Wauchope NSW, which is near Port Macquarie. i have only just joined and is loving it already, its a huge help getting to know people with Kombi's and their experiences. I,myself LOVE kombis and i'm wishing to get one of my own. its just a matter of time and money and the people you know till i will find the one for me! :D
    Anywayz, i can't wait to meet everybody and wish you all the best! 8) :wink:

Cheers

Johnno 8)

18. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

[quote="almarker"we'd bought the lemon of the century! ![/quote]

How horrible to have such a nasty "first Kombi experience", and how wonderful (& typical) that that didn't put you off and that you persevered and sought a solution to the problem.
    You seem to be "Kombi Naturals" & inherently have the mentality necessary to keep an old bus on the road.
    It's a great challenge and needs the fortitude that you have already demonstrated.
    Welcome to the Kombi Club.
    .................. now, go and have a coffee with 4hammers!!

Love and Julie Andrews,

Ray & da Boyz

19. dumped65

dumped65 Member

Well what a excellent forum I cant believe its taken me so long to join and be part of this kombi community on line. All new to this and still trying to figure out how to put my photos up. im not really good with computers so can any one help me please? Im sure i will learn a lot from others and hope i can help others in return. I have a 65 van deluxe which im restoring and 67 beetle deluxe as a daily driver.

20. volcboy

volcboy Member

Hi - I just joined today, but have been a kombi & VW tragic for some time

Me?

Car: 75 Bay, formerly 1800, now 2000 that I've had for 6 years

Where: West Melbourne, Vic

Other VWs: Learned to drive in a '66 & '74 Type 1. Travelled through South America with my family in a Kombi in 1978.

I'll soon be moving to the country and getting a shed to play in. I'm hoping to get a second Kombi to play with :)