1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Members

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Roy, Jul 8, 2006.

1. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi David,
    Fortunate for me I bought the kombi as is except I sorted the ceramic coating as it ahd been painted with a gal paint.
    The fan housing at the front of the engine that is shiney is magnesium from memory. It had been polished to that shine out of the kombi and do not know what was used by Pete (who restored the kombi) when he di it ..... I maintained it with Autosol Metal Polish.
    You want something lower maintenance and original looking than a good clean will do the trick ;)
    Cheers
    Bert

2. Russell Makuru

Russell Makuru New Member

hi everymy name is russ ,. im just new to computers i still write letters haha. dont even no if this works,i have a 76 bay an we have had a turkey fly into the window which made a wind tunnel an up came my poptop ,so now it is a bit broken up an tor.,Windows fixed an im getting a new poptop an linings ,the thing is my 1/4 windows at the back are rusted an when the rubbers one out i need to replace them, but finding them is another story ,i have one[back drivers side] an need one more for that side,i also need one for sliding door.can anyone help as without the windows i cant get my new poptop on .maybe sliding windows would b the way to go if i could aford it but for now ill need to try stay with 1/4 windows.any help would awsome cheers,im on the sunny coast.

BusyBear likes this.
  3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Hi Russ.
    Welcome.
    Hope the brush turkey tasted ok ;)
    Clean 1/4 windows are hard to find.
    Pretty sure they are interchangeable on each side.
    Have to check ..
    but think I have full glass to suit rear and centre if you want to use that in the mean time.
    Also probably a couple of s/h sliders . think locking catch broken on one.

Cheers
    Col

Russell Makuru likes this.
  4. Russell Makuru

thanks col first time using this dont no if im doing this right,i think ive meet you mate do u work for the council ,im the kiwi we meet a while ago ,i was with steve lockheart do you have the yellow beast .also meet at the abby ,a while ago now,im getting work done from platinum trimming ,gold coast he may have one but will keep u in mind,we should get together some time,spent the day gutting it out ,hard parts going to put it all back haha

5. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Hi Russ ,Welcome to the KC. With your 1/4 windows you can buy the outer frame (C Frame and post In Aluminium) know. The latch can also be brought and the rubber seal between the glass and window frame. The only parts I haven't found to buy is the glass and the frame the glass sits in. But the 1/4 windows aren't interchangeable from left to right .If you buy the rubber they are but if you buy the frame they are not.
    Enjoy your ride where ever it takes you .Watch the birdie.

Russell Makuru likes this.
  6. Russell Makuru

thanks for the info wayne will look into it cheers

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

My memory is crap but something rings a bell.
    Im not working at council tho.
    But still driving the yellow peril.

Time for a sunny coast get together without having a long convoy sometime soon .

8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Russ,
    Welcome to the Kombi Club.
    I guess you've got a 76 with 3 x 1/4 windows.
    I started down the track you're on with 3 spare 1/4 windows & my originals (yeah... total 6 X 1/4 windows) & still gave up! Even bought the new rubbers for 1/4s & 3/4 window . For 3 of them. Got six outside frames that I'd call 2 good, 2 inside frames that I'd call restoreable, all new rubbers for both fixed & pivot glass & of course 6 glass 1/4 panels & probably 3 average lock pivots.
    Ended up with some sliders from Just Kampers. They advertise at $500+ each but if you follow them they have occasional specials for $253. New full glass & seal for RHR is approx $250 add new seal for LHR & that gets you out the door for under $900. With all new rubbers & glass.Rust found after window removal not included in price![​IMG] If you wanted cheap why are you driving a kombi!!!! In Newcastle.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    David H:)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  9. Russell Makuru

thats great thanks david .yes after all research you an others are right sliding windows are the go an thats just what im going to do. my kids are going to love all the fresh air

10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

The Bus Stop sell them, and the owner of the Bus Stop pays for us to have this website called the Kombi Club....:)

Good to support the business....;)

11. Russell Makuru

sounds good to me grantus

12. Russell Makuru

im in mate

13. David H

OOPS. Forgot to mention the great sponsors of Roy & Peter @ The Bus Stop. You'll get all you need for your kombi resto there. Definitely the best guys to deal with for Kombi stuff.
    Cheers,
    David H

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  14. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Not dealt with Ray & Peter, but Roy has been excellent over the years, and only stocks quality that he will support........;)

15. David H

Well there's a lesson for a newbie!
    Cheers,
    David H

16. David H

Hi Bert,
    Thanks for that but I may be looking for something high maintenance now the kids are almost off my hands! Buffer & aluminium polish it is! I'll post a before & after without engine removal.
    Cheers,
    DavidH

17. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Russ, welcome to the party that never ends :D

Here's a link to the sliders Grant mentions http://www.thebusstop.com.au/busstore/sections/39/glass/0/10/

18. Alisonens

Alisonens New Member

Hi All, I'm new though I've not yet bought my first Kombi I'm planning too soon so joined up to learn more about them from this community.
    Do you ever do drive days? I'd love to see what everyone has got!
    Alison

19. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  20. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Welcome to the KC Alison: Have you any thought on models that you like,from magazines Etc. like mentioned above take your time. The right bus will come in due time. Happy researching,hunting . Might see you around Sydney some time.