1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Members

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Roy, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club Buggergary! :)

Looks like a great score.

Enjoy the ride........ ;)

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the party that never ends :)
    Looks like you scored yourself a nice camper :cool:

3. Buggergary

Buggergary Member

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm itching to get into it and get it back on the road but have house renovations to get out of the way first them i can give it my full attention. I have restored a couple of bugs and will probably follow the same path with this. I try to do most things myself and not being a professional I usually get them running right and looking ok but they will never be million dollar show machines.
    A bit more to the story of the kombi was found in the booklets and as it turns out it was originally purchased new by a lawyer in our town back in 1976 which would have been when i was in grade 9 highschool. It was purchased from Kevin Jack Motors in Launceston. The people i purchased it off had the names of two other people that had owned it so it looks like we are the 5th owners and we have brought it home to it's home town after all these years :)

Wayne murray likes this.
  4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Buggergary & welcome to the Kombi Club. Wonderful story:). And now let me fawn over your excellent purchase & your choice of colour:D. Nice to have that level of provenance & given Tas those owners are prob all related (I'm from Burnie;) & am related to almost everyone on the north coast:p one way or another!). Seems our boys are related by year & colour & same cupboard kit. Tell me what month the sopru plate says (behind passenger seat). Have the same tent also & used it at the 2017 bus stop. So pleased to see my brother after all these years said Old Boy:rolleyes:.
    Cheers

5. Buggergary

Buggergary Member

Hi David not sure on the month it has a blank space then / 76 and that's it. It's all hand written with an engraver and has some wear marks on it where stuff has been behind the seat but it doesn't look like any month was ever added. Unless it can be worked out by the punched in numbers on the bottom of the plate 2362 158 331
    We are pretty wrapped with the tent as we didn't expect it to be in such good condition with all the poles,ropes and pegs as the bags they were all in looked pretty dodgy and dirty but they did a good job of protecting their contents perfectly. We didn't have a choice of colour but we like it (apart from the surface rust bits lol ) but it got the wife on board because she loves anything to do with dolphins so i told her we will call it flipper to sway the vote a little more my way ;)

David H and Wayne murray like this.
  6. Voltwagen

Voltwagen New Member

Clever ;)

7. David H

I'd have to go with June 76 as
    1. It's got carbs
    2. The stove protector panel on outside edge is 3 piece. These were just one vertical panel earlier (required to be changed for visibility (ADR's) by end June 76) & were a bugger to see over & by november the folding outside table no longer had the wine rack below it.
    My number is 236 2 147 284. Also just noted that whilst most of the plate is engraved the month on mine is stamped? Maybe they had these plates pre engraved & then stamped the month when complete & forgot yours? The whole Sopru process was a bit ad hoc as they seemed to use what was available on the day & fitted by someone whom was also available on the day:rolleyes:.
    May you have many years of joyful motoring:).
    Cheers

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  8. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

maybe you can work out the month/year from the service booklet

9. Buggergary

Buggergary Member

Hi tintop I have looked in the service record and the earliest record is the delivery inspection with 5km on it and that was dated 18/8/76. on the rego papers it is 11/76 and on the plate behind the drivers seat also has the 11/76 .I presume the camper conversion was done after manufacture so i reckon it was manufactured before that. The paint code on the sticker behind the passenger seat is CLR 529 which is the flipper blue and my research shows this colour is only on the 74-75 model not the 76. So i'm thinking it was manufactured late 75 converted then registered in 76. Vw don't make it easy lol

10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Also keep in mind the factory retools during every summer holiday in August, and the next years model was / is then produced after the summer break. A German built late 75 (September onwards) would be a 76 model, but I’m not totally sure about the KD versions sent and assembled in Victoria.

11. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

By the time it was shipped, from Germany then painted and assembled it could take X period of time.Which I thing models in Australia would of run past the August time line that Germany had used in there newer model updates. Parts would of been sent in large batches and those parts where used up in later models until gone then what was done in Germany.

Grantus likes this.
  12. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

In my mind the simple thing is to not treat the "year" as anything more than a model designation. E.g. "75" model defines a set of attributes, features and options. It's called a "75" because the bulk of them were manufactured in Germany in 1975. It doesn't matter if it was built in late 74, 75 or early 1976 in Victoria or registered in 1977 it's still a "75" model. Going to full imports cleared up that confusion :rolleyes: (well maybe as they were still selling bays here in 1980 with a going, going gone campaign)

Going to get some diesel now and start mowing...

Wayne murray likes this.
  13. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Those were the days - I was 19 years old...there was one of the last Kombis for sale (white on orange) down on Broadway (Sydney) and a green one in Blacktown. They were $10k. I bought the one in Blacktown.

David H, MAP77 and wirrah like this.
  14. David H

That's my understanding also but it's not true & you're right VW didn't make it easy:(. Ours is a 9/76 on plate behind drivers seat & 10/76 on Sopru plate & the paint code on the sticker is CLR529. This one is the second 76 flipper blue Sopru I've had. The other was 3/76 (& had stiff board all the way up on slider side to protect stove flames...as did my orange 5/76 Sopru also have the fixed panel) & met an early demise at my hands. Bl**dy telepoles:mad:.
    Yours turning into a bit of a conundrum Buggergary as the cupboard kit is definitely late June 76 or after so could be 11/76 convert but it's got carbs that were deleted for fuel injection to comply with ADR 27A (pollution requirements) that started on 1/7/76. Magically carbs came back when VW started full import from germany in early 77:confused:. Maybe it was converted before it was plated for rego but if that is so how did it pass the ADR pollution requirements???? How has the rego done a time slip?
    Further thought gives a 'maybe answer' in that it may have been converted from F/I to carbs as was done a lot when F/I gave problems:( (even by VW sometimes as it had already been registered they could swap back & nobody checked pollution compliance as it had already been registered;)). Check engine case prefix & whether the fuel pump is electric or mechanical. If electric my guess it be a late 76 swapped to carbs a long time ago. This would also get all the dates to line up:D.
    For some further interest. Grab a beverage & have a read:);):D.
    https://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/fuel-injection-sopru-camper-76.54501/ http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/freshly-rebuilt-engine-oil-light-on.54367/page-3
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/freshly-rebuilt-engine-oil-light-on.54367/page-4 post 70
    I'm not OCD but don't ask members here if that's true;).
    Cheers

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  15. David H

CKD finished end 76 with a slight lag until 2/77 on the sales side. Overlap with imports from start of 77 selling.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Grantus likes this.
  16. Buggergary

Buggergary Member

Sounds like i need to have a good look over the engine bay to check for fi clues then. I wasn't really worried about it all but now you have me interested in what i really have lol. It will have to wait though as i have slipped up to the goldcoast for a week for family stuff so i can't do any more investigation regarding this till i get back home. Is there anything else i can look for apart from fuel pump?

17. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

The biggest clue for efi is the bracket on rhs of engine bay where efi air filter used to sit

18. David H

P1110437.JPG
    Yeah...new earth strap needed!
    Cheers

19. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

And cover plate David ;)

20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Don't forget the main one from chassis to gearbox/ bell housing.
    Even tho it might be intact it can have high resistance due to verdigris.
    If replacing with an insulated round cable rather than strap type, put a loop in it to allow easy flexing.