New on the scene

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Anton Taylor, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Anton Taylor

Anton Taylor New Member

As requested here is some photos of what I am up for as far as the body goes. I think it will be worth it. These are some of the bad areas. All 4 corners on the roof and around front window average. 1 door totally stuffed and the other not 2 good. Rear engine door stuffed. Top tailgate good. Sliding door a bit of work needed. Engine area solid and underneath seems ok but haven't had a close look yet. Bull bar needs work. Canopy a small amount of glass work, seems old but works well. I don't like catches riveted to the gutter so other ideas would be good. Interior very bland but all original so may have to make a decision there. Dent at LHR near rear light. Some more photos later.
    All advice and personal experiences welcome.
    Anton

Rust2.jpg Rust4.jpg Rust5.jpg Rust8.jpg Rust9.jpg Rust10.jpg Rust12.jpg Rust14.jpg Rust16.jpg Rust18.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2017
    Syncro27 likes this.
  2. Anton Taylor

Anton Taylor New Member

More Photos

Rust3.jpg Rust6.jpg Rust7.jpg Rust11.jpg Rust13.jpg Rust15.jpg Rust17.jpg Rust20.jpg Rust21.jpg Rust22.jpg

Syncro27 likes this.
  3. Anton Taylor

Anton Taylor New Member

Sorry bout the lad with his finger in his nose. Caught on camera. Ha.

Rust19.jpg Rust23.jpg Rust24.jpg Rust25.jpg Rust26.jpg Rust27.jpg Rust28.jpg

Syncro27 likes this.
  4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Anton, if you're wondering what happened :rolleyes: I just edited your posts so Full Size Image is displayed :eek: makes it easier for a lot of us interested in your to check out the pics :cool::D:);)

5. Anton Taylor

Anton Taylor New Member

Thankyou
    Big job/seen worse/seen better. I think shes redeemable. Already looked at a few posts and getting an idea on processes involved. Definately a barn find at the time. Lot of rust but i think there have been worse restored from my experience.

6. twincabay

twincabay Active Member

Worth saving the roof rust is the most difficult you need to find some good cuts from a wreck. Custom and Commercial also sell turret repair sections. Some others also. If you can clean up the interior and keep i would id also go ratty repair rust and blend in , cheaper and cool.
    Mitch

7. JoshG

JoshG Member

Big job ahead, but will be awesome done. Can’t wait to see it come back to life

8. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

maybe a candidate for one of the roof replacements?
    The low / high top that some did a while ago?
    Will try and find a pic

9. Anton Taylor

Anton Taylor New Member

Cheers, I was thinking a roof replacement as I don't know of any decent buses laying around in the area.
    Seen them on the custom and commercial site, no corner sections I could see. Is there an Aussie supplier.

10. wombatventures

wombatventures Active Member

Welcome Anton, that looks like a sister bus to ours! Small pop top.
    I'll have a look at Volksfest on Sunday in case there are any bits that could help you with your rust repairs.
    I'm assuming that's Cummins on Eyre Peninsula.

11. Anton Taylor

Anton Taylor New Member

yea, vehicle lives at Lake Wangary EP
    Thanks for your help
    Volksfest, where's that

12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

We need to go through the Resto section. Some did a whole roof replacement. You can buy them new. It is a new Brazilian roof which is slightly higher.

13. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

14. Anton Taylor

Anton Taylor New Member

Very interesting, be a big job. Dont like underlying rust so will probably do something like that.
    Good to know their out there.

15. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Hi Anton.

Nice kombi and nice shed.

They can be rusty old buggers.

You have done well though and will hopefully enjoy the resto process.

Tip - Invest in some band-aids :D

16. wombatventures

wombatventures Active Member

Volksfest is on Sunday at Elder Park, on the Torrens next to the Festival Centre. We drove down from Peterborough last night.

17. Anton Taylor

Anton Taylor New Member

Working but sounds like that's where I should be. Probably doesn't happen in SA to often eh.
    Really cant think of what I need just yet, need to pull it all down. Probably as you can tell the roof issue is the biggest on my mind, probably need 1 door, maybe 2 and an engine cover door. Send me some contacts if you see any of this gear available.
    Probably more but just getting my head around the project.
    Enjoy the weekend, have a beer for me.

18. Ted2

Ted2 Member

You can buy a new roof from a mob in Melbourne. They need to be pre-ordered as they are imported from Europe.

19. Anton Taylor

Anton Taylor New Member

Got plenty of band-aids, trying to get my head around the resto, so stage 1 well underway. Gonna happen.

20. Anton Taylor

Anton Taylor New Member

Where in Melbourne, Are they the Brazilian roof or more of an original type.
    The Brazilian roof I checked out looks good and sits a bit higher, don't know how that will effect the contours of my little camper though. Probably like to keep that.
    I'm sure anything can be modified. Probably like an original "style" roof if I can get one.