1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New rules for engineered reregistering cars

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by 77/kombi/surfer, Dec 22, 2017.

1. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

25550289_10210849062198328_3040668194572174039_n.jpg
    ATT NSW MODIFIED VEHICLE OWNERS.

Just a heads up for people in NSW that have cars with engineers reports that were done before the new system started in late 2011.
    The RMS has issued a bulletin to blue slip stations saying that cars with engineers reports done under the old system will not be issued with blue slips unless they get a new report under the new system. Pink slips are not affected.
    This means if you let the car run out of rego you wont be able to get it re-registered.
    It also means you wont be able to put it on club rego or if it is already on Club rego you wont be able to go back to full rego.

Ive seen warning posts on other vw sites about this issue an aparently this new system has been proposed to happen since 2012.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for letting us know Chuck.

3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

So a manx SWB buggy that has been sitting is a shed for 10 years that has prior NSW registration history will not be able to get registered?

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

It’ll be able to be registered Barry, it will need a VSCC though.....
    Looks like another beauracratic name change for an Engineer’s certificate to me....
    Only applies to modified vehicles.......just as it always has.
    Time will tell.
    Big lesson here is not to let your rego. lapse.
    Cheers,
    Mark

5. Uke Baby

Uke Baby Active Member

That’s right Barry, not unless you get a compliance certificate under the new scheme. Just want to point out that it shouldn’t affect cars entering the historic rego scheme as they only need a pink slip and there is no provision to provide a compliance certificate under the pink slip scheme. A pink slip inspection isn't an exhaustive check of a vehicle, it's a simple safety check. That means that a car mightn't fully comply with design rules (through modifications and other) but it is safe to use on the road and passes a pink slip. Saying that though some design elements are part of the a pink slip (lowering and wheel track comes to mind but there's others) so some modifications may be cause for rejection of a pink slip.

I followed the introduction of the new certification scheme with interest and I distinctly recall the then minister saying that certificates issued under the old scheme would continue to be recognised for the life of the vehicle. This appeased hot rodders and other car enthusiasts at the time who had concerns about old certificates being accepted. Seems this new arrangement is just another broken Government promise.

6. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

It does say for first registration in NSW, so if there is a record of it having one on the old rego record you should be ok. Second paragraph under Changes. Seems to contradict this in the next section.

If you dont have anything recorded before you would have to get inspected anyway. Another way to get your money.

Adrian

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

SWB are near impossible to get passed under the old rules. I don't know if anyone has had one passed in the last 15 years. Once you change the wheelbase it goes under a different set of rules.

8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That's what it sounds like to me.

9. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That is only if they are already registered. If they are not registered or from interstate you will need a blue slip.

10. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I have heard that this is not going ahead?

11. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Big price drops for unregistered or interstate modified vehicles. My Recaro seats are engineered but the disc brakes are not but hey they were a rare factory option wink wink and on it from new :)

12. melissa

Yes that is right - they did not realise the ramifications.

13. Jurgen Grossmutter

Jurgen Grossmutter Active Member

I was born on probation

14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Does that equate to....
    Should have been drowned at birth ? :)

15. melissa

ECS certificates
    In December 2017, Roads and Maritime Services issued AIS Notice 35 and VSCCS Notice 14. These notices advised customers that we were no longer able to accept certificates issued under the former Engineering Certification Scheme when establishing registration for modified or individually constructed vehicles.

In response to feedback from our customers about some of the unintended impacts of this change, Roads and Maritime Services is working closely with clubs, motoring enthusiasts and other stakeholders to review this policy. Subsequently AIS Notice 35 and VSCCS Notice 14 have been withdrawn and:

• Owners of vehicles that were certified under the former Engineering Certification Scheme, which are not currently registered, should not take any action to re-certify their vehicles until the review is complete and further advice is provided
    • Owners of currently registered modified vehicles should note that there are no changes to their ability to renew their vehicles’ registration or any change to their vehicles’ registration status.
    We apologise for any inconvenience and expect to be able to provide our customers with greater clarity and certainty on this issue shortly.

16. Jurgen Grossmutter

Jurgen Grossmutter Active Member

All these rules drive me nuts.
    These days l would've been culled

17. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

I got stung with something similar trying to get my T4 reg in NSW despite years of ACT rego with approved rear seat installation NSW wouldn’t accept till it had an another engineers report - I’m sure this 5hit is to just discourage individuals be individual!

Grrrrrrr

18. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Nah.....it’s to make sure each state govt gets another fee paid, each time the vehicle is moved interstate for rego. :(

Bring on a single nationwide and engineers certification, valid in ALL states. Better for both buyers and sellers. ;)

David H and prone like this.
  19. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Get rid of all state laws/regulations. Laws, licencing, police, vehicle registration, education, housing etc. should all be under the control of the federal government.

They could start by making ADRs Australia wide.

They also need to make Australian standards standard across Australia.

hairyman and Barry like this.
  20. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

The only trouble is they won’t go with the best from each state, they will find the obscure restrictive and downright dumb regulations to impose on everyone.