New Section

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Roy, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

I was asked to open another section for performance subjects. So here it is, hope it helps

Cheers
    Roy

2. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Hey Roy mate, you forgot GOLF.:lol:

3. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

I don't play it myself :D

4. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

Good idea Roy, my kind a thread.

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

now the bs begins:D

col

6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

7. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

who's first ?

8. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Well, you've got the hot rod engine so I reckon I nominate you, DakDak :D

Seriously, why don't you detail all the juicy go fast bits in your engine and why they bring extra ponies, torque, efficiencies to the engine. I know that I would be interested to learn all about that and I'm sure others would, too.

Once the ball is rolling, others will contribute. And not to make it a "my d*** is bigger than your d***" thing, but a genuine performance discussion!

Oh and 'd***' stands for donk!!! :lol: You've all got dirty minds....:lol:

9. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

I would love to name the shopping list of high performance parts in my engine but i don't know !! , i bought the car with the engine and wouldn't have a clue. That said most 2276 - 2332 engines read very much the same with head porting , cams specs and piston diameter being the main differences(mild street engines). Soon i'm going to pull it down and have a looksee as i'm considering working the heads and replacing the cam for a turbo buildup.
    My engine is very well behaved on the street and with a huge oil cooler and thermo fan everything stays in the heat range. The cams not to wild with a good idle and low grunt,when you go past 3k rpm things get silly all the way to 6500.. nice :)
    I'm sending it to a dyno for the day to search for a few more ponies that have fled the paddock , *edit 160 on the wheels might be dreaming!! 100 whp might be more the ticket ..
    I won't go into all the cars mods as it's a lot of rambling, all i can say is the car drives and stops more like a bay than a split. wait till we have a few beers at bus stop and then i'm sure the bullshit will flow freely :) cheers, dak.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2012
  10. KombiMadness

That's a great start! 160hp at the wheels - love it! And 3000 - 6500 power band is bloody sweet. Makes overtaking a breeze, I bet.

I haven't felt that kind of zip since I sold my R1100S to buy a Bay.... twist the throttle and go, go, go :lol:

In your case, push the pedal and go, go, go...

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

[QUOTE=. wait till we have a few beers at bus stop and then i'm sure the bullshit will flow freely :) cheers, dak.

Yeah. next stage is a few more beers and some 'prove it'

A few desparate runs from a daily driver trying to beat Dak and a trip home on the trailer

always good fun:D

cheers
    col

12. KombiMadness

Red Kev & Vassy69SC your turn....

Or anyone else with a worked VW engine, I 'spose we should include Suby's and V6/V8's too (although we may upset the purists :lol: )

13. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Would be interested in type 4 mods.
    Lots of info on type 1 available but type 4 a bit thin on the ground.

14. KombiMadness

Yes, I second that! Pretty hard to find much info on type 4 mods on the internet... which I always find strange! It's not like type 4 engines are scarce or anything?

15. jimmybay

jimmybay New Member

Saw a twin turbo type 4 engine yesterday:cool:
    I'll hit him up for some specs next time I go there.

16. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

I did look into doing a type4 engine for my split but the problem is I could not find a new Type 4 engine case.
    They are all 30-40 years old now and most decent engine builders won't build a performance engine with a case that old, you can't guarantee it.
    It might look ok and go through crack testing but it's the age of the things, you just don't know what might happen.
    Don't get me wrong there are some great type 4 engines being built but I wanted to know everything was new to start off with.
    Dave

17. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

I was asked many times what Igor's heart consisted of but alas Peter Keegan (he built Igor front to back) could not tell me and only ever gave me the label of the Cam with tappet settings. All Pete said was it was a 2 litre.

After having the LHS inlet manifold gasket blow (he had used the bakelite ones for efi engine) over #4 and leak down eventuating in that cylinder causing a minor rebuild did I work out with old dubber's help what was there - 1800 case with 2 litre inners with slightly oversized cylinders, twin 40 Dellortos, custom exhaust, mild racing cam.

18. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

....& damn, that engine looked fine......:cool: Cheers, Mark

19. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Do you mean this engine Mark ?

In:

[​IMG]

Out:
    [​IMG]

An the Spaghetti to get the gases away :

[​IMG]

20. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

Well I do like the word performance ... like the experience even better.
    One of the things I am keen to do is help anyone who hasn't had a good performance air-cooled VW engine that it doesn't have to drive like a pig, chew fuel or run hot to have vastly different performance to a stock engine.
    20,000kms a year in the real world with my 2165cc gives some real world data.
    The engine is as follows:
    • Case: Type I, Auto Linea, 2165cc : 78 x 94
    • Heads : CB cnc round port, 40 x 35.5mm s/s valves, performance multi angle valve job, chambers reworked, un-shrouded valves & polished. Stock 1.1:1 rockers, Shimmed HD shafts, Porsche style swivel foot adjusters
    • Crankshaft: Scat forged chromoly c/w 78mm, endfloat set to: .027”
    • Connecting Rods: Scat I beam ARP 3/8 bolts
    • Camshaft : Engle W110, endfloat set to: .002”
    • Camshaft manufacturers recommended valve lash : Intake .004”, Exhaust .004”
    • Straight cut timing gears with .003” gear lash
    • Cylinder spacer fitted: 1.5mm
    • Head gasket fitted: .060”
    • Combustion chamber volume: 60cc
    • Deck height: .060”
    • Static compression ratio : 8.6:1
    • Carbs: Weber 44 IDF, Jets fitted: 36mm venturi, 175;F11;130;60
    • Distributor : MSD Billet with MSD 6A control box
    • Ignition : 32* total advance
    • Spark plugs: NGK D6EA
    • Clutch: KEP 200mm Stage 1, 1700 lb, dual compound solid disc
    • Flywheel: 200mm lightened 12lb, 12V
    • Exhaust System: 1 5/8”, 4 into 1, Stainless steel sidewinder with Genie turbo muffler
    • Oil system: 26mm blueprinted pump, full flow with filter, cooler and thermostatically controlled fan, deep sump and case modified for improved windage and oil return
    • Engine assembly balanced and crank oil clearances set to .0025” - .003”
    • Vented tappet covers and oil filler with 3/8” lines and CSP breather box
    • Engine oil: ACE 30, 20W-40

Valves are set at .002" and have been for over a year now.
    It does not run over 85 degrees in oil temps.
    Fuel economy is 12l/100km around town.
    Last year it ran a 17.2sec quarter mile (I didn't even let the tires down for better launch: ddn't want to break a gear box). This equates to 100km/h at half track (1/8 mile: 200m) in 10.89sec. Now that is a good improvement on the original.
    Pic of engine below
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]