1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New T3 owner in Sydney

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by janus77, Jul 15, 2015.

1. janus77

janus77 Active Member

Hello!

We bought our first van, an 89 Trakka Bronco from a lovely couple in Newcastle about 3 weeks ago, drove it back to Sydney. There's a bit of rust, mechanically it seems good (starts easily, doesn't blow any smoke), the bloke was able to provide every repair and service receipt from the last 17 years he's owned it, has been regularly serviced.
    Taking it to a mechanic next week to get a service and full check, and put together a plan for what needs to be done.
    Overall it's in good shape, the support beam/brackets on the pop top are the most immediate thing needing replacement before we can start enjoying our van for it's real purpose, might need a new canvas too.
    Concerned about rust, will be interesting to get some feedback from someone qualified to ascertain the severity of it.
    Otherwise, very much looking forward to some warmer weather and a summer of weekends away.

Attached Files:

2. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Welcome to this nutty bunch.

Nice Trakka you have there - how are the cupboards holding up?

I have seen one of these totally rotten around the rear hatch hinges due to trakka's less than careful way of cutting out the original roof.... but the usual rot is around window sills, and to all the lower seams. Doors usually survive well.

Best of luck with it - post up some more photos.

3. nils

nils Well-Known Member

welcome to the madness, I drove past that van for sale in lambton about half a dozen times. Never did stop

4. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Hi Hugh Although we have already spoken several times I would like to formally welcome you to KC and hope to get a look at the van sometime. Perhaps you should consider booking for Old Bar, or at least put your name on the waiting list at Lanis on the beach at Old bar as thats where the action is.

janus77 likes this.
  5. janus77

janus77 Active Member

Thanks for the welcome, cupboards are in very good condition for the age, no issues (photos attached). The rust appears around sills (couple of bubbles out under the rubber only, not everywhere), a little in the seams, and a hole the size of an orange i just found on a horizontal panel within the engine bay. Not too much elsewhere though as far as i can tell, the clearcoat seams to be mostly gone off the paint.. no rust in the rear hinges, or around the pop top that i can see (apart from the support beam being rusted through).

What's on at Old Bar?

I have a customer in a complex at Padstow, went to see them today, just across the parking lot was C&S automotive, there was a very nice old kombi in there (sorry no pics), new white paintjob, looked schmick, was gone by the time i came out from the warehouse i was visiting. People talk about how much old Kombi's can be worth, but reading stories on here, it appears that for the most part they probably owe far more than their street value..

Anyway, we are trying to find a camp ground not too far from Sydney for our first Van camping trip, somewhere that allows a camp fire.. Might (hopefully) get to Mill Creek near Wiseman's Ferry in a week or two for a night to test the van out, we need to figure out what we want to have packed, and where etc.. at present the cupboards are bare except for some glasses kindly left in a purpose made rack by the previous owner (a woodworker).

Other thing we need to rig up is some kind of bar across the top bed when our 2yr old is up there so he can't roll out in his sleep.. any suggestions on this very much welcome. The ply boards (which i guess are Trakka factory originals), don't look like they'd support my weight.

Attached Files:

6. janus77

janus77 Active Member

Got it from a guy in Tighes Hill, not sure where lambton is, is this the same van you saw?

Edit: google map says it's very close, must be one and the same.. did he have it on the street for sale?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

8. janus77

janus77 Active Member

Thanks Grantus, i'll check it out..

Ah, 1 other question, when i start the van in the car park, after letting it warm up for 5 minutes, i note there has been quite a bit of water spat out the exhaust onto the concrete.. is it normal for water to come out the exhaust like this? It's not enough to make a puddle, just speckles the concrete quite a bit.

9. Luckyphil

This time of year being very cold condensation can form in the exhaust which presents as steam when first started and for a very short while when first drive off. keep an eye on the coolant bottle, there are 2 one behind the number plate which is an overflow bottle and another that you can see to the left when lift the engine bay lid, this one should have no air in it. Doubt there is a problem as if there was a head gasket leak letting coolant into the cylinders then the compression would force exhaust gas into the cooling system which would cause the coolant to be forced out the expansion tank and blow hoses.
    The owners manual suggests that you should not "warm up" the engine before driving, just turn the key on and wait a few seconds you should hear the fuel pump pressurise and then start, buckle up and move off.

10. janus77

janus77 Active Member

Interesting, I see a flashing light when I turn the key, have been waiting for this to stop after a couple of seconds before starting the engine, guess it relates to the fuel pump pressurising. I always thought it was better to let the engine warm up a bit to get the oil moving around before putting it under load?

11. Grantus

The flashing coolant temp light is just on a test cycle as you turn the ignition, to show it's working - nothing to do with the fuel pump.

As Phil said, that is what the owners manual says. Maybe so as owners don't see any condensation on the driveway, and start to worry! :D

janus77 likes this.
  12. Luckyphil

Page 34 of Instruction Manual Dot point 6 "Do not warm up engine by running it with vehicle stationary. Drive off straight away"
    Dot point 7 " Do not overrev or use full throttle until the engine has reached the normal operating temperature" (This includes you Grant :) )
    Warming up may not actually do harm but as the manual says its not required.

13. Grantus

Is "full throttle" the rev limiter? :rolleyes:

14. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Yeah pretty sure, it was on the main road.

15. janus77

janus77 Active Member

Just back from Annangrove, our T3 got the tick of approval. Few rust spots i'll need to scrape out and apply with rust retarding/preventer paint to ensure they don't become big issues faster than they need to, otherwise mechanically good :)
    Pretty pleased now, i'd convinced myself the rust was worse than i thought on our initial inspection.
    Back out to Annangrove next week to get the pop top support bar and brackets replaced, as well as painting, and waterproofing the canvas (decided to clean it, and patch a couple of very small holes, instead of going the full replacement route - which we may still do in future when required).
    New cat and muffler needed, Andy is trying to source reasonable condition second hand replacements to install when i return for repair of the pop top.

Will book in for a third visit at some point for a full coolant/radiator system flush, upper bushes replacement, and to get the air fan working (and the coins my kid dropped in the vents removed).

Would highly recommend Andy Ho, an honest guy who clearly knows T3's like the back of his hand. Pricing was very reasonable.

16. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Great to see another T3 owner amongst us ;)

17. Syncro27

Great to see you are giving your new purchase some love - I hear Andy is a great mechanic - Phil raves about him.

I have a spare good catalytic converter if you want to go that way.

18. vannin

vannin Member

Welome
    For the young one you could checkout the bed I made that goes between the front doors.
    Pretty sure scott whipped one up too.
    Nik

19. Syncro27

It was your idea Nik.

You can take the credit....

20. janus77

janus77 Active Member

Now photos of the rust..

Attached Files: