1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Victorian KC member

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Matt Greene, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Matt Greene

Matt Greene New Member

Hi All

I have been talking about getting a Kombi with the family for some time now, and it finally looks like it is going to happen. Yippee.

The Kombi I have found is a 1976 Dual Cab 2L. She needs a fair bit of panel work with rust in the floor a couple of the sills etc but underneath, I think looks pretty ok. (Certainly no expert though). I am calling it my 5 year project, but hopefully we can have her completed and on the road before that.

Just wanted to say 'G'day' and introduce myself as I am sure given the expertise on this site I will be asking a lot of questions.

Regards

Matt

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  2. OberonViking

OberonViking Active Member

Hi Matt, you've gotta love a 76 DC! I can't wait to see the pictures. Welcome to the KC.

3. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Welcome Matt - and congratulations on your find! :) I am looking forward to checking out your DC, perhaps at a future meet? (keep an eye on the Vic Coming Events forum, as we would love to have you along...) .... Have fun, and good luck! :)

4. Wodewick

Wodewick New Member

matt, Hope to catch up when you come up. I will be away 9th. to 14th.[ down the coast in the kombi]. Did you get the PM I sent you yesterday. Not sure it went thru. Rod.

5. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

bbq???

Hi Matt,
    Ive got an idea, Why dont you dust off the bbq and invite Melbourne team Kombi down to Pakenham one day and we will have a social event and a look at your project?
    What do you think?
    Cammo.

6. Matt Greene

Matt Greene New Member

Cammo

All things being well we should collect it in the next couple of weeks, and I think some sort of Vic KC guru's that want to come and tell me just how foolish I have been would be more than welcome for a snag on the bbq and beer. :)

If I can figure it out, will post some piccies when/if it comes home.

7. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

There's nothing foolish about buying a project DC, I've done it before, why wouldn't you work on getting another one on the road?

8. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Go to www.photobucket.com upload photos from your PC. Then copy the direct link from photobucket into your post on KC. Lots of people get projects, We just love the fact that some old bomb of a kombi is going to be reborn and reloved!
    Cammo.

9. Van Housing

I would certainly like to drop around for a beer and a look at your DC - but I doubt I'll be telling you that you were foolish.... :)

There's a guide to posting pix here:
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=11446
    If you need further assistance, just send me a PM.... :)

Have fun, and good luck! :)

10. Matt Greene

Matt Greene New Member

It appears that the gods have been smiling, and a collection time has been arranged for this Saturday (Hooray)... So I am starting to get excited. :)

Will be picking up the DC at 11am on Saturday, and will have her home safely later that day.... now to think of a name for her.... 'Wilma' has been floated about at home, have also been thinking about 'CJ' (the initials of my two daughters...... What do people think.

So to potential BBQ days, Sunday the 15th Feb for a couple of Snags on the BBQ and some coldies sounds like a plan, I would love to get some of your ideas and knowledge of where to start.

Please give me a PM if interested and I can supply address details.

11. Van Housing

Hey Matt, it might also be a good idea to cross-post the invite to the Coming Events thread, for those that missed your welcome... :)
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=19555

As for calling your kombi "CJ" - as you have a 1976 2 litre, it is likely you have a "CJ" engine (check the engine code) .... so it looks a good choice! :) Although I do also like the idea of hollering "Wiiiiilmaaaaaa" (like Fred Flintstone) when summoning the kombi.... ;)

Congratulations! - I hope the kombi is as good as you hope....

12. Matt Greene

Matt Greene New Member

Hardly seems important given whats going on in Victoria right now, but the yellow 1976 DC is home safe and sound.

13. Van Housing

Good news - congratulations. :)

Best wishes, and good luck with the fires nearby - I hope everyone comes out relatively unscathed.

14. WAY2COOL

WAY2COOL Member

Good news Matt.....Enjoy your new baby.

15. Marty

Marty Active Member

you could put up some photos if you want, we all love oogling at other people's kombis :)

16. Matt Greene

Matt Greene New Member

A couple of photos

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww264/MattGreene/IMG_1706.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bit of a rust bucket at the moment.... but with loads of questions, especially those members that have restored a DC before, I am hoping to get her to look fantastic.

Here is a question for you seasoned restorers..... where to start ??

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  17. Rawdyn

Rawdyn Member

At the bank!

:D

Great score. You'll have heaps of fun with that one.