1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Needs Help!!

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by Sleeper, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Sleeper

Sleeper New Member

Hi All,
    We have been trawling around here for some time now and gleaned as much info as possible but there are questions that still remains?
    I was given a 83 T3/25 Caravel with a sliding roof that is in rather poor condition. Damaged panels, panels full of cracked bog and water coming out of the spark plug on cylinder 1. We are contemplating dropping approximately $30 K on the purchase of a T2 Pop Top that has been restored three years ago..
    The end point is for a camper to do week ends away and the occasional road trip. We are planning to hire a T2 for a week end to weigh up the pros and cons.
    I am keen on the resto is because you do not see many factory sliding roof T3's and i like to preserve it rather than part it out or scrap it as was the case
    The question is how far will $30K go into a resto given that i would need the panel, paint and interior trim work to be done. I can do the engine work and the strip out. Thanks in advance as this is doing my head in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club!:)

Always sad to see a T3 get to such a neglected state. :(

Resto costs on such a bus in that condition, with a factory sliding roof? ....... You'd need to approach some pro's in the game to get an idea of cost.

Also be worth shopping around some insurance companies, to see if they would cover the investment cost in the finished product, before you start.;)

Hire a Bay for a week, and see if it suits, before you decide where to spend your money.

3. Sleeper

Sleeper New Member

Thanks Grantus. Very valid point on the insurance. I removed some of the cracked bock and there was rust underneath.

4. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

You think they would have posted a pic of the roof :confused:

6. Luckyphil

people just dont know how to sell something.

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Be very thorough on your inspection of the 'restored' T2.

plenty of tidy T3 under the 10k mark or suby into the one Phil posted if its sound in all other areas.???

one would have no idea from the photos or description:rolleyes:

8. Sleeper

Sleeper New Member

Hey that is a great find Luckphil. I had been on gumtree but must have missed that one. I gather there is a bit of rust as the images are a fair distance but the panels look straight which is a start i guess. I will follow that lead. For $850 you cannot go too wrong but some one on here mentioned that T3's have a habit of multiplying and i know some one who have me drawn and quartered if there was another care in the yard.

I am some what concerned about buying a Bay as i had friends that were doing the Kombi thing in the late 70's early 80's when they were a 3K car for a good one. I had bought a Type 3 in the mid 80's as a first car and that was an eye opener of what not to do. I am still trying to work out a way how to best save guard against being caught with poor workmanship. I know i will need to get a third party involved but not sure who?

I think the T3 is beyond redemption. Chipping away at the bog on the front right hand and it revealed the poor state of workmanship. It was beaten into a rough shape, filled with metal and then 6mm of bog to smooth out the bumps? I have discovered other fill spots

Funny how discussions evolve. It was initially going to be a pool in the back yard, then it became a Kombi. The better half likes the Bay hence the looking at a T2, me; i am partial to the T3

9. Luckyphil

Good luck with your search. As with anything in demand the good stuff sells fast so if your gut says its real nice then others will too so first in best dressed. Bit frustrating really but you should find a good one. Here is one I would look at if I were allowed to have another, good price and been in that family many years so should have history and its cheap, and that dosnt mean nasty.
    http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Volkswagen-Caravelle-1990/SSE-AD-3770757/?Cr=2

10. Grantus

As Phil pointed out in another thread, new T3 repair panels, either genuine or aftermarket are very scarce, compared to the selection of Bay & Split panels available.

A rust free T3 is always the preferred purchase - as mechanicals are an easy and more cost controlled fix. ;)

11. Sleeper

Sleeper New Member

Thanks Phil and Grant for your helpful advice. I have seen that Just Campers list a lot of the panels that need replacing are they any good? Phil i am waiting on a reply from the seller in QLD to see if there are more images

Phil not sure about the Auto. Some people have an aversion to siders it's called arachnophobia, i have a fear of autos it's called petrolhead? Could put in a manual box but there is quite a bit of work and parts to go with it? Did it once with an RX7 swore never again. At this rate i will have to give you spotters fees :D

12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Nuffin wrong with T3 auto's. Very strong. Same same as Porsche 944 and Audi.
    2.5 L or a conversion job and you have a cruizy sleeper.

Whatever. Rust free is #1 priority

13. Grantus

You are probably right. Sadly, if a T3 is neglected enough, and the repair cost to sort it, is 4 or 5 times the cost of buying another tidy one, it has come to the end of it's serviceable life.

Any full resto is always possible, with varying amounts of time and money, but unless there's a good emotional tie to the vehicle, one would have to question the decision to proceed. Always decide with your head, not your heart. ;)
    I've never purchased any JustKampers repair panels, so I can't comment. I do know that some fabricators that supply to retailers like JK, are far better than some other fabricators.

Helping out fellow members, is all part of the Kombi Club community spirit, however, bottled liquid never goes astray if the help has been really good, as a spotters fee.....:)

cbus likes this.
  14. Sleeper

Sleeper New Member

Ah very witty Barry... Love it

Our journey down the Kombi path has only just begun and to the community i would like to say a big thanks for the acceptance. So much help compared to other forums who criticise and condemn. Will be posting pics when the time comes of our travels and adventures and the bus what ever it will be.

Sadly, i am coming to terms that the Mars Bar as i affectionally called her is not a viable option. I understand that a resto is not done for fiscal gain but out of passion and unfortunately i do not have the kind of $$$$ just pour into a project like this. The only panels that do not have rust or damaged are the tail gate and engine lid; Oh and the doors. Apart from those every thing is either damaged, rusted or both. The interior has ripped head lining, seats are torn and the cards are holed. I am still undecided as to the fate of the Mars Bar. She might end up being a community project for skills training???

Aspro likes this.
  15. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Sensible decision mate. Chucking a bag of cash at that T3 will only end in dissapointment. There are much better projects out there. :)

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Wise move.
    I agree with Grants and Chris' words
    much more realistic to have something that immediately registered and useable that you can tinker with the edges.

17. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Oh so true - minimal description and no idea how to take a decent picture/photo or we'll just show the outside from front and one side on a bad angle so you can't make out anything :oops:

One side view good enough for many :rolleyes:

18. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Good call Sleeper ;)