Nils's T3 syncro westy

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by nils, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

what happened to the tail shaft uni for it to fail in 1000km? Was it under heavy load for any of those km??
    I assume you re-built the original tail shaft?

Was the centre bush easy to remove? I assume just machined out and make new? Have read a lot say that's not re-buildable, but did not think it looked that difficult.

2. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Not sure on the uni failure, but judging by that it has 2 different uni's one was either cheap or didn't get replaced (although I paid for 2)

The bushes in the center, we ended up cutting the bushed ended off to access. Made new bushes and welded it back on and balanced

3. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    The tailshaft continues to be an evolving battle, guess it will stay 2WD for some time to come. The driveshaft shop is still taking ownership of the problem and are happy to buy in the proper Hardy Spicer uni P/N K5-A767 and charge me cost only, so that is saving me a $100ish.
    I am also slowly getting hold of the new donut. The Meyle ones are readily avaliable at about $50, but at over $200 for a genuine one I am hesitant to buy the cheap one, Trying to get my brother in germany to hopefully get it cheaper there.

In the mean time I have finally got to cleaning this old bucket of bolts. Most of the outside now having a cut and polish, while on the inside the upolstery got a real clean and all those cupboards and wall panels now have a whole lot less staining.

The last thing that is moving along is in the order of front seat comfort, as the old VW seats are OK but far from awesome.
    I was able to get a pair of golf comfortline seats for free a while back, and to be honest these are probably the worst seats I have ever retro fitted. There is just Too much going on underneath. The price on the other hand was right. Seeing as the whole seat was stripped I also added seat heaters and armrests from a T4, now to get the drivers seat finished before the Xmas break.
    20171104_114845.jpg 20171027_140056.jpg 20171116_083416.jpg
    20171116_104825.jpg

Attached Files:

Resnort, David H and Grantus like this.
  4. beerboy

beerboy Active Member

more pictures of the cut and polish please. I just did my roof with wet and dry came up very well. then polished. the body is so bad I think wet and dry is only answer. nothing else touched it. well with my patience levels

Resnort likes this.
  5. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Next time it gets out of the garage perhaps.
    Wet and dry is pretty extreme, not sure a good machine cut is anymore subtle though really. Do it by machine, your mad if you try and undertake polishing a van by hand.
    Going to boris's picnic Loyde, reasonibly close to your neck of the woods isn't it?

Jethro likes this.
  6. beerboy

beerboy Active Member

yes might have everything back in the van by then. There is a campsite at dolls point too. which is always good for a laugh. no awnings allowed as thats your neighbours site lol

no looks like the developers got to the grand pines tourist park. 52 homes built.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Nils, how is the internal bearing in the tailshaft?

8. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Hi Phill,

We actually cut the shaft apart, removed the the bushes, reground the shaft and made and reamed new bushes to suit. There is not a lick of play in it now (as I assumed that was the original problem)

The tolerances are now so close it makes a satisfying POP noise when you pull it apart :D

9. peter1000

peter1000 Active Member

hey nills are you holding on to the original seats
    quite a machine you have there
    still coming to s s scoast
    cheers pete

10. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Hi Peter, totally did not see your reply.

Ill be holding onto the seats for a while at least till I am happy with the new ones and the rear is recovered to match.
    I'll be up the coast probably this weekend till new years

11. peter1000

peter1000 Active Member

We will have to catch up I live in Montville 54429307
    Your machine was here a few Christmases ago
    There is a café locally called Ricks garage Palmwoods that is a gathering point and worth a visit if any other forum members want to catch up one day or evening
    Cheers peter

12. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

I'd be keen if the timing suits :)

13. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Sounds good Peter, what day suits everybody?

14. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Catch up on what has been happening over the christmas holidays, you would think I would have some time to write a few posts on this thread wouldn't you?

Well I did get the seats in before the holiday roadtrip (3200km in total) with out incident, not a drop of oil or water was used so everything is running pretty health I would say. I made it all the way to Noosa in Queensland with a lot of detours on the way though Crowdy bay NP, Bonnie hills, Port macquarie, South west rocks, Stuarts point, Scotts head, Urunga, Lawrence, Maclean, Yamba, Mooball, Woodford and Eumudi. Also met up with some of the Sunny coast T3 crew at Ricks diner in Palmwoods, which is a pretty cool place to hang out.
    received_10156003342942853.jpeg
    smaller2.jpg
    smaller3.jpg

Vitolo72, Dapom, Syncro27 and 2 others like this.
  15. nils

nils Well-Known Member

20171224_194919.jpg
    well Christmas came and went and in between all the hubub I did get a few things done done on the bus. My old man has an awesome concrete pit in the backyard that is really good for rust proofing ect so it was as good a time as any to finally get all that stoneguard back under the car.
    Don't get me wrong being in a plastic suit in 34 degrees in QLD humidity sucked, but the bottom of my car looks factory fresh :)
    20171229_071954.jpg
    20171228_122702.jpg

evan&janine, Jethro, Dapom and 4 others like this.
  16. nils

nils Well-Known Member

smaller10.jpg
    We stopped in Urunga again on the way back and with the moon the way it was turns out I parked a little close to the waters edge by the time the tide came in.
    smaller11.jpg

Syncro27 likes this.
  17. nils

nils Well-Known Member

And with a few days left, before dragging my ass back to work I rewired the compressor that had been disconnected for years.
    20180104_180405.jpg

Syncro27 likes this.
  18. peter1000

peter1000 Active Member

Was great to catch up nils at Ricks looking good that underbody
    cheers peter

19. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Yeah, was a good afternoon that went by all too quickly. Next time we need to aim for more than 50% of us showing up in our vans :p

Good to meet you fellows too.

20. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Work and home life are a manic mess as per usual, but in a few weeks I get to go on a 2 1/2 week camping trip up though the Victorian highlands, out to the Grampians and back home again ( while passing though Canberra to see Grant) So it's all hands on deck to get the bus in ship shape and add a few new comforts and goodies.

The water tank and Pump are probably the big one. I made straps for it instead of drilling holes in the sills and then used those brackets to add a door step for the old ladies in my life. Here are the highlights.

Pump
    20180215_220818.jpg
    tank
    20180217_164055.jpg
    step
    20180217_164017.jpg
    Flammia filler, really happy with how it looks. Reasonably like a 2WD filler with a water symbol
    20180217_164028.jpg
    And Titanium bash plate to protect the pump
    20180217_164212.jpg