Nils's T3 syncro westy

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by nils, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Pencilled in the diary buddy. :)

Just send a message 24 hrs ahead, to stay on the way, on the way back, or both.

Undercover car accomodation here for VIP KC visitors, is high enough for a Bay camper, with the pop top roof raised......so I’m sure your T3 will fit in, out of the weather ;)

nils, David H and Syncro27 like this.
  2. Grantus

So have you done the door “puddle lights” as well, to see what you are stepping out of? :rolleyes:

321C947C-4227-45D6-9CF5-63199DB5E9E9.jpeg

Syncro27 and Luckyphil like this.
  3. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Been on the road for a little over a week now, but I did manage to get a few last things done before leaving.

I have changed the gearbox mounts to the burley motorsports made ones. They look exactly the same as the stock, but the rubber seems a bit stiffer. I have not noticed any extra noise, the shift has improved and 1st gear jumps out a lot less.
    You can see how worn mounts can result in very altered drivetrain geometry. Fingers crossed this is part of my vibration problem too.
    2018-03-13 18.07.56.jpg

Resnort likes this.
  4. nils

nils Well-Known Member

I don't have too many photos on my phone of the trip as most are done on the big camera and I only have my phone to post on KC with, but I did catch up with Arne for the tail end of the ocean road leg including the ferry crossing and met up for lunch with Callum in mornington.
    2018-03-13 18.37.33.jpg
    Jane is writing a blog about the trip which has alot more detail on the where and when, including many more photos.

For those interested you can find it at packingtoroadtrip.wordpress.com

5. peter1000

peter1000 Active Member

If its having trouble with first check the nut that holds the linkage onto the gearbox selector shaft
    I have found this can be an issue causing first gear issues
    Cheers Pete

6. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

How's the kms going? Any obvious changes in the van?

7. Grantus

Just checked it out - excellent writing and thoroughly enjoyable reading! :)

8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

& you guys back up to Stanthorpe for easter;). Now ain't that the life:cool:. Wow...Lotta miles :rolleyes:. Nice to see T3 contingent at Bus Stop.
    Loved the Blog Jane. Liked the style of writing:).
    Cheers

9. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

More than 1 Syncro is a convoy.

10. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Was going to suggest the same - adjustment from or rear.
    T2 (Igor) had jump our of gear issue SO a full gearbox rebuild was doone - everything in the guts replaced with new - still happened :eek: ...... Henry Spiacek finally worked out it was a gear selector shaft adjustment nut issue :confused: ...... basis of my thought :rolleyes:

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Yep. Excellent blog n does entice one to be on the road.
    Thought you might be more into some free camping spots in the bush.
    But understand that a good shower and good feed has its attractions.
    Vic is good for spots to explore regardless which direction one heads.
    More blogs :D

12. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Hi all, got back home tonight after forgoing out last spot in Bargo. The Sydney traffic showed all clear and we just put our heads down and kept going.

Jane's computer is on the fritz so she hasn't added alot of blog posts. So hopefully will catch up tomorrow.

The gearbox issue has been there from day one and no matter how much I adjust or replace I cant find the cause. I will revisit the front shaft again while cleaning and checking tomorrow.
    All up we did 3300km this trip and the bus ran like a top. Not a drop of oil or water was used. A little rest for the bus and Stanthorpe here we come.
    The front brake calipers need a rebuild and the clutch arm shaft still needs replacing. These have been long term issues for a while now, just really started to bother me this trip. I would like to think I could do the clutch before stanthorpe, but think I am kidding myself

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Callum Andrews, grantw and Grantus like this.
  13. Grantus

Glad to read the trip home was incident free. :)

Enjoyed your excellent company whilst here, and will continue the plans for the next cartoon by email. ;)

nils likes this.
  14. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Looking forward to reading more of the blog. We are very lucky to have such a beautiful country.

Grantus and oldman like this.
  15. Grantus

Pic from your visit here Nils. ;)

My T3 Ute, with your T3 Brute.....:p

B75B1971-014A-4B26-BEEA-4FF42AF7BD42.jpeg

16. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

It looks so little in comparison.

Dapom likes this.
  17. David H

Sure does Resnort. I thought 'that' when I saw the photo & when I first saw Grantus' ute thought it big & bold. Then saw Nils syncro & it was big & bolder. I'd hate to see my sopru next to these brutes. He be even smaller;).
    Wow..sorry Grant...you lose;):D.
    Put the 'velle on big chocks & have another go:rolleyes:.
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  18. Grantus

Lucky the westy roof wasn’t raised....:eek:

:p

David H likes this.
  19. David H

Maybe make house look smaller;).
    Cheers

20. nils

nils Well-Known Member

I think the wide angle lens on grants Ipad probably has a lot to do with it.

Thought I might pull my finger out and post a few of the photos I have on the computer, This are from the snowy river road that goes from southern Victoria over the snowy mountains to Jindabyne.
    For those playing at home, it includes about 120km single lane dirt track that at times looks like it might fall off the side of the mountain. It rises up to 935(?)M at its highest point and is mostly 2nd and 3rd gear territory. I guess it could be done in a day, but we chose to do it in 2 with a night camping and roasting mashmellows by the river at Suggan Buggan.
    I would definatley like to do it again with 4WD as some of the silty sections do get a little squirrely under brakes and I have no idea how it would go in the rain to be honest.
    IMG_4418.JPG IMG_4448.JPG IMG_4453.JPG IMG_4471.JPG IMG_4472.JPG IMG_4429.JPG

Syncro27, grantw, David H and 5 others like this.