1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nimbin 2008

Discussion in 'Queensland/Northern NSW' started by ruby6689, May 3, 2008.

1. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

Well the house is hopping...just getting a quiet moment:umm:

We managed to confuse the people of Nimbin, not that that takes much, by having the Konvoy come into town from the opposite end! A fatality closed our usual route and we had to take the very windy, scenic back roads.

It was wonderful to see so many kombis nose to tail, Andy was asked to lead the konvoy with Blue Bus a real honour.

The front yard looks magnificent, kombis everywhere...I'm sure we will have a few pics posted soon.

A surprise extra joined the gang of campers, Campercrazy (Jason) is currently moving house from Melbourne to the Sunshine Coast and he rang to ask if he could stay the night....not knowing anything at all about what was planned. It has been great to be able to introduce him to his new 'local' members.

More updates and pics soon...............Lorraine

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Courier Mail up here in bris had an article about the Nimbin weekend but it centred on the drug busts :( bummer dude

3. the invisible smith

the invisible smith New Member

Thankyou

Just returned from a MAD weekend at Nimbin, it was just unfortunate that I have work on tomorrow and couldn't stay for another day. Never have I seen anything like it! Just to be part of a Konvoy like this was, for me, a real spin out. Sixty odd Kombis being allowed exclusive access up the overflowing main street of Nimbin. As a Kombi owner I felt like a friggin' rock star. People clammering evrywhere, high-fiveing you through the windows. Kids running alonside asking to ride on the back (answer: p**s off you little sh**s!) Stoners, metalheads and all sorts calling out "rev it, rev it"! Nearly ran over a dog that ran out in front of me! My first experience like this and all I can say is unbelievable!

I just want to take the opportunity to say a HUGE thankyou to Lorraine and Andy, for their hospitality and warm welcome. You guys are just simply amazing! Such a huge effort to co-ordinate this, fitting everyone in, and allowing everyone the run of your beautiful home...and what a piece of paradise! I simply can't say enough! Thankyou.
    To everyone else I met for the first time, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou for making a newbie feel welcome, you are truly a fantastic bunch of people and I look forward to sharing many fun and exciting times together in the future. :D

This has been an amazing experience and I cant wait for the next KC event. Bring on Klubfest!

4. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

Here here, Craig! Firstly, it was good to meet you and share more than quite a few laughs. Like you said, I can't wait for the next event!

And what a weekend it was! Unfortunately I couldn't take advantage of the three-day weekend either, so I had to head home early. But I was fortunate enough to share the company of Craig and Kyra in a three Kombi mini-convoy for the trip back late this afternoon.

To see so many Kombis in the Konvoy from Byron to Nimbin was amazing. There were heaps of 'em! And to finally get to see Nimbin alive for the Mardi Grass festival was something else. Talk about things you don't normally get to see everyday. Especially as we trudged our way up through the main street - we did really feel like rock stars!

As usual too, the Saturday night 'party' was a hoot. I think everyone that was there really had a fantastic time. I know I sure did. It was so good to catch up with the immediate (QLD/northern NSW) gang again. That goes for both the old faces and the new ones. I really think that we are blessed with such a lovely, fun, caring and just genuinely great bunch of people. It's been said before but is still true - the thing that makes the Kombi Club so special, are the people involved.

And to Lorraine and Andy - once again, thank you so so much for putting us all up at your home. That goes for ensuring we all had a place to park for the night, right through to making sure we were adequately fed. I don't think I, or anyone else that stayed can truly thank you both enough for all your help, hospitality and finally the fantastic time we had while staying there. It was a treat.

Can't wait to see some of the pics that emerge.

Julian.

5. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

I wasn't THAT late, was I Jules? :p

As Julian and Craig have already said, it was a completely mad, surreal weekend, and I wish I could have stayed one more night to chillax, but motherly duties await me.

I had a great time in the convoy, and even had a marriage proposal, so that was nice!! I don't know that the man in question will actually remember his proposal today, but it was funny. :D

The convoy was actually quite intimidating in parts, as there were SO many people crushing around the Kombis, and I even hit one guy who was walking backwards (?) onto the road. He bounced off OK, but my first thought was "if he's broken my bloody mirror, I'll kill him!" and then my compassionate side kicked in. For about one second. He just turned around and gave me a huge, cheesy smile (with teeth missing) and the thumbs up and then walked across the road in front of me.

Special thanks, as always, to Lorraine and Andy for making our time with them so special. What a piece of paradise they live in. It was an absolute sanctuary for us to escape madness of Nimbin.

As Craig and Julian and I were leaving this afternoon, we got through just before the Ganga Fairies started their procession. We had our own little Kombi Convoy all to ourselves. Got lots of smiles and waves, but alas, no marriage proposal this time.

The trip back was excellent too - we did a bit of Kombi slipstreaming and Lola lapped it up.

All in all, a great way to spend a couple of days with a stellar bunch of people. :) :heart:

6. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Just a few pics of early Saturday...

The line up at Bangalow...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you to Lorraine & Andy for having everyone at your beautiful place of paradise for this weekend...
    A few of us got breathalzed by the police on the way out of Nimbin today...all passed with flying colours thank god..
    (was a bit concerned considering all the tins & shots of Fairy bombs I had drank was a bit of a worry)
    But thank you to all who came...the 1st timers to all of us regulars...to the lovely magic moments people created over that time, to the laughs I had, & the priceless moments & most of all to you all...for making this weekend always a pleasure to look forward to :)
    & Tommy I did pass on the ((HUGS)) to Lorraine & Andy for you & your hellos & regrets for not making it....xx

7. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

Leaving lismore heading to Nimbin..

[​IMG]

8. ruby6689

I have just waved goodbye to the last of our wonderful KC visitors, I miss them already:cry:

A few new faces too which was great....Craig, the invisible smith, and a mate who insisted on sleeping inside the house and not in the kombi with Craig, I don't know why? ;) Jason, Campercrazy, on the move from Melbourne to Sunshine Coast plus a lovely young couple I meet only during the week, travelling in their kombi. They are now on the forums as 'trygiff'. Mike joined Julian, Stevie and Glen to entertain the mob Sat night with lots of singing and laughter. All were immediately made to feel part of this crazy Northern KC family. I also got the chance to meet Joe, kanaka, and his beautiful splittie who unfortunately had to miss the camp over due to a problem with his bus. Quick response from Judy's husband Mick and another convoyer with replacement parts meant all is Ok now and he made it home without a hitch.
    [​IMG]

What a weekend...I've almost lost my voice from laughing so much.

Jules the 'movie star' had the film crew along with her, the one's that shot the You Tube of her at Old Bar. They are covering Kombi events over a years period and wanted to do a follow up story on Jules and take some footage of the Nimbin Kombi Konvoy for their documentry. They ended up staying here the weekend and the cameras never stopped.... it felt a bit like 'Big Brother' in my own home. I reckon there will be a lot of editing!!!!!!!

Jacqui led me astray on Sat night sharing her bubbles, carefully admisintered at 20min intervals, haven't done that since I was 17!

I just wanted to say thank you to all my wonderful friends who shared our house with us this weekend, I had a ball. :heart:

It is so quiet now....too quiet......at least Klubfest is only a few weeks away and I get to catch up with most of them again......Lorraine

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  9. Joel

Joel New Member

i also want to shout out a big thanks to Andy and Lorraine for yet another awesome weekend
    and it was great to catch up with old mates and a few new ones too

i havent sorted thro all my photos yet
    but heres a couple that jumped out at me that i took yesterday morning just messing around with some settings on my camera

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oh and one for the lovely miss rackie :D

[​IMG]

10. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

Glad to hear Kanaka got home ok...
    yep Mick raced home between jobs & looked for that part & Brian also ran home too...between the two of them we then had 2 ...So at the end he took "both parts"...lol

Also nice to mention:
    Thanks to Kyra too for the franny cutting... & bringing her new clothing line so we all could have a look see...
    Chopper (& Mrs Chopper) for all he did to make to be with us...
    All our new members who had never met us all & still came...nice to put faces to names now...
    To everyone of you that made the effort and came along over the weekend...THANK YOU :)
    & Again to Lorraine & Andy who did so much so we could all come over again ...I can't thank you enough...
    Judy :)

11. ruby6689

Thanks everyone, just a couple of pics from the hundreds that Brett took.

[​IMG] Jules and Col

[​IMG] line up

[​IMG] another line up shot

12. heartland

heartland New Member

More pics guys - more pics! I'm so jealous - would have loved to have been there with you all - Lorraine and Andy's hospitality is fast becoming legendary on this forum. You rock guys.:)

13. ruby6689

A few more pics

[​IMG] Chopper and Brett, must have been mad

[​IMG] Yesterday at a local cafe

[​IMG] Also at Sphinx Rock cafe

[​IMG] Some of the group. Stevie was looking as green as his jacket this morning!

14. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Thankyou

First and foremost a HUGE thank you to Lorraine and Andy for a fantastic weekend. We had the best time from the moment we arrived on Friday until we reluctantly left today.
    Lorraine you never cease to amaze me how you can meet people in the street who had just brought a Kombi, next minute they are camped at your house.Also to Jason our traveling member who thought he would drop in for a night on his way to the Sunshine Coast. I bet you got more then you bargained for. Lorraine you made everyone feel so welcome thank you.
    Brett was our chief photographer on the weekend and I think he took over 600 photos. Unfortunately I have loaded them all onto my computer mixed in with mine so I am hoping I only post some of the ones I took.
    Drive from Bryon to Lismore

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dinner on Saturday night
    [​IMG]

15. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

This is the crowd that we had to drive through in the main street in Nimbin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gunta from Volksmod
    [​IMG]

16. ruby6689

Gunter where are you?????? You never did find us...did you get lucky?;) or just couldn't drive after all those home brews:lol:
    Lorraine

17. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Andy in Blue bus and Lorraine in Monty
    [​IMG]
    Toni (this was first thing in the morning)
    [​IMG]
    Adrian,Glen,Jacqui,Paul and Jules
    [​IMG]
    Brett's dressing room
    [​IMG]

18. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Jason on his way from Melbourne to the Sunshine coast
    [​IMG]
    Kyra could this be a champagne bottle left over from the night before
    [​IMG]
    Sunday morning
    [​IMG]

19. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention to all the people that tried to dismantle Andy's CD player looking for Choppers lost CD, I found it.
    While I was posting on KC tonight I bumped my CD drive on my lap top, when it opened up low and behold there was the missing CD.

20. The Brewmaster

The Brewmaster New Member

Just got home @ 6.30pm

Just got home @ 6.30pm after a fantastic weekend at Andy and Lorraine's.

As always the weekend is full of the unexpected ..... from our late departure from Caloundra on Friday (delaying our arrival at Andy and Lorraine's until 1.00am Saturday morning ... and to be greeted by Lorraine as well!), the unexpected detour on the way to Byron through Ballina, the renegade KC start to the Kombi Konvoy, the change in route due to an accident on the Lismore-Nimbin Road, arriving from the opposite side of Nimbi and confusing the locals, and many, many more things, ......etc, etc, .....

As everyone else has already said we all owe a huge thankyou to our wonderful hosts, Andy and Lorraine for opening up their home to all of us riff-raff. Everyone had the best time and it is so amazing that despite so many new and different people from varied backgounds get on and have a great time and leave the place so as noone would know that anyone had been there for the weekend. Well done guys!

As Mish has said we have hundreds of photos of the Konvoy, Saturday night BBQ Fire- twirling Display by Glomo and Lorraine, Singalong, early morning sunrises, the Sphinx Cafe and the street scape of Nimbin....... about 700-800 (I took more of the main street of Nimbi on the way home today.) ......

I will post a selection of some of these when I do some sorting ..... and post them from school over the next few days.

Cheers
    Brett

PS Col has just left our place to travel up to Tandar so should be home after 10.00 pm.

Last edited: May 5, 2008