1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noise from ?? and other stuff!

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by gdrabs, Mar 24, 2015.

1. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Hi all, got some noise that sounds like a brake calliper binding or bearing from front of car. Chishh chishh chishh that increases in frequency with more speed. No difference when brakes applied, not excessively loud but disappears when I start to steer to the right but increases turning left. Mechanic thought bearings were OK the other day when inspected and suggested it was the speedo cable? I oiled the cable but it did not stop the noise.
    Any suggestions for diagnosis?
    Also:
    I seem to be missing a cable from the engine bay - is the rod part of a heater assembly? The spring return has been disengaged.
    Heater.jpg Cable roller.jpg Gromet.jpg
    Also:
    I have a broken heater/selection cable at lever control.
    Cables.jpg
    Is this part of same circuit.
    I can still get some heat and blower fan at engine work when right red lever is down. The broken cable in above pic is one from the middle red lever..
    I need to get a copy of the repair manual but would appreciate any suggestions from the team.
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  2. Farky66

Farky66 Member

I can only help you with the cable you are missing in the engine bay. It connects to a thermostat which i assume you're missing and controls the heater flaps under the tin ware. If working correctly it diverts hot air to heat up the engine when it's starting cold but then eventually closes when it's warm. If you are missing the thermostat you need to close the flap completely otherwise it will cause your engine to run hot. Obviously its best to have one but they arnt very common. I see the spring is disengaged but not sure if that would close it completely. You can tuck it under the tinware connecting to the fan housing.

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Symptoms of grinding sounds like bearing noise.....easy enough to pull the front wheels off & inspect/repack the bearings....
    Speedo cable connects to the nearside hub by a square keyway.....nothing there- other than the bearing - that would generate that type of noise imo.
    Won't question your mech.'s ability.....but......
    Easy enough to check yourself.
    Cheers,
    Mark

4. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

i had a squeaking noise from my front brakes which turned out to be warped discs which would occasionally rub on the brake pad.

5. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

The flap rod should be in position you have it in (up) when the thermostat has been disconnected. Get one if you can. It mounts under the cylinders just behind the grommet you show. The grommet is for the drain pipe from the fuel pump. Not sure why it is there, that's just what it does. Mine leaks a little oil occasionally. The heater cable you will need to replace. They are available. The left red one is heat from floor to dash. Up is floor and down is vents on top of the dash. The right red at full down with bring on the boost fan. You will need to make sure all of the connections are to the pipes are tight and make sure the 2 valves at the back above the heater boxes are opening fully when the heater lever is down.

Here is probably the best explanation of the system I have seen

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/freemefromthishell/vw/T2 Heating.htm

Adrian

6. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Thanks for the info - all makes good sense!
    I had a look and the thermostat is still in place - cable has been cut so probably not working. I'll make sure the flaps are closed. Cold weather is not really a big issue in WA - especially at the moment:)
    Will have a good look at bearings and sort out floor to dash vent cable replacement (thanks for clarifying that and the link).
    Cheers

7. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Just an update on noise - checked bearings and brakes, they are ok. Moved speedo cable about at hub and noise diminished. Ran some oil down from speedo - all is good for now.
    I will order a new cable and replace when noise starts to return.

8. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Does the speedo cable have the circlip attached….?
    Should be attached to the end of the cable,outside the grease cap/bearing hub to prevent the cable from moving back into the hub……could be why the noise is happening ?
    (If that's all it is, wait until you get a shot bearing !!…now that's a nasty grinding noise….)
    Cheers,
    Mark

9. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Thanks Mark, yes the circlip is in place, and if I change position of cable near hub the noise disappears. Will see how long that last but easy enough to replace cable.
    I,ve got to check filler pipe/connections as occasionally getting fuel smell after bus rolls right from hard left turn. Looks like it's not that easy to access though! Filler cap looks to seal OK.
    Ta

10. Mordred

Put your finger in the filler hole and feel the lip behind the metal ring that secures the end of the rubber elbow. Thats where they go once the rubber packs it in. You access the rest through the "paint can Lid" in the right of the engine bay. Pop it out with a large screwdriver. Be prepared for scrapes and cuts as it is a bugger of a job, engine in or out. The top elbow isnt too bad as you can pull it out through the filler hole but you will still need to get up inside to loosen the hose clamp and refit it on the new one. The elbow is only $25ish.

The other connections you can get to easily (and highly likely to be your problem if not now then soon) are the one up behind the spare wheel well and the one on the right behind the test socket(if you have one) and the tee piece above the engine that then has a tube into the air filter. The connections are normal fuel hose but I replace them with hose clamps fitted to strengthen them and keep the seal tight as they are vapour lines mainly.

Got to Ratwell.com and he has a diagram of the fuel system and the connections you need to check.

Adrian

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  11. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

All great advice as usual from Kombi club team - thanks:)
    Will let you know what I find.

12. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Adrian - yes the rubber elbow at the filler hole has several splits. Got some zodiac patches and glued a temporary fix while I order new rubber. I am going to replace every piece of 40 year old rubber in the bus, hoses, seals, boots, lines whatever...
    He's actually running and driving really well - need to try and stay ahead of any problems and keep him that way!

13. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

14. Mordred

Dont destroy anything until you are sure you have right replacement. Lesson learned from experience. You might haved trouble getting some of the rubber ,especially the tube from the end of the filler tube to the tank, which has to be fuel rated. Not easy to come by.

Adrian

15. gdrabs

gdrabs Member

Ok - will be careful, just patching and glueing in situ at the moment - not easy though!
    Speedo cable is behaving at the moment but will order a new one. Heading north to Jurien (coastal town) with Wilson and family for a few nights. Storms and lots of rain forecast all week, good test to see how water tight the bus iso_O