1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non Standard Gearboxes

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by urbexdweller, Mar 9, 2009.

1. urbexdweller

urbexdweller Member

has anyone used a different gear box in their Kombi ? as i notice even the people that do convserions use the standard kombi boxes.. im interested in 5th gear for eceonomy purposes

Nick

2. Joels73 Panel

Joels73 Panel Active Member

Yeah mate I was just thinking the exact same thing today. How about a 1.8 Subaru. Wouldn't be a big gearbox i imagine

3. You'd break a suby box in a Kombi pretty easy. A lot more weight than a small tin box to push around.

Someone in the states does a 5 speed conversion for a bus box. cannot remember who or how much LOL.

Other options are 915 Porsche, 930 Porshce and anything Porsche means a lot of money.

There are also some Renault transaxles as well but require a lot of modification and are by no means an easy fit. Super strong and the boxes themselves aren't too dear but getting on fitted will scare just about anyone away from doing it.

4. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Straight cut gears in the 091. Bit noisy but should be fairly tough with a few other mods like braces etc.

5. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Berg does a 5 speed but it doesnt add a ratio, 5th is the same as 4th in a 4 speed box, just shortens the others, mainly for drag racing

Dave

6. urbexdweller

urbexdweller Member

hmm well im not really keen on the initial price or replacement part price of a prosche box..

keep the info comming tho

life in the low lanE: any chance of you being able to find out any info bout the people in the US ?

edit: NOT really keen* i mis typed

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  7. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

8. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

I would be suprised if the conversion to a Porsche box cost less than $3K

Dave

9. urbexdweller

urbexdweller Member

yeah so would i.. i mistyped in my previous post btw..

10. Two Yanks

Two Yanks New Member

I will do some poking around here and see what I can fid out. I know of a five speed but the fifth is still 1to1 so the final ratio doesn't change.

11. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

4th gear in a stock box is a 0.82 or 0.88 overdrive anyway, so a 5sp box wont be any better (like Split1 said). A better way would be to change the diff ratio, but new gears are expensive and difficult to find good ratios.
    You could change your 4th gear ratio, Albins Gears do a 0.70 4th gearset for a little under $350 (we're trying this in the V6 lowlight).

12. urbexdweller

urbexdweller Member

yeah well im pretty keen on a V8 setup, so im looking for something to make it more fuel economic

13. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Checked out a new box for my T25 from a company in Melbourne who preps them for drags etc. I didn't go down that path as it was very, very expensive ($20,000.00). But, they would build it to my spec.

14. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

PM Kombi Rescue.
    From memory Steve's brother used to rebuild the box to make 4th a shorter ratio.
    Could be wrong though, got told this a few years ago BTW

15. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

If you've got big $$$'s you could look at Mendeola box's (http://www.mendeolatransaxles.com/). These are used in the US in high powered baja bugs, kitcars and replica V8 GT40's etc. I think some of these run 9'' diffs so ratios would be easy and they handle lots of horsepower. No change from $8-9k for an entry-level model though, and probably $20k+ for their toughest box.

16. urbexdweller

urbexdweller Member

wow thats fairly pricey that would make a porsche box look like agood option haha

would a suburu gearbox ? or a Toyota Soarer gearbox fit ?

17. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Subaru gbox is not flippable so would give 4 reverse and 1 forward gear. Soarer isn't a transaxle type so wont fit either.
    I have seen/heard of a few buses that have a mid-mounted subaru motor & box (motor sits where fuel tank normally goes), also various 'east-west' fwd motor/trans combo's moved to the back (I've built a few dune buggy's like this:cool: ).
    So you could fit a suby ej20(turbo!),22, 25 or eg33(6cyl) with the suby trans, or a fwd V6 out of a Mazda or Mitsubishi maybe, but there would be a huuge amount of fabrication work that would cost heaps unless you have the know-how to diy.
    Oooh I've also seen a mid-mounted 350chev powered splitty, was on u-tube I'll try finding it.
    What sort of V8 are you thinking of using?

18. urbexdweller

urbexdweller Member

19. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

20. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member