North Straddie Accom / Area recommendations

Discussion in 'QLD' started by 68BUS, Feb 2, 2015.

1. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Hey folks,
    Not really camping but any recommendations of good places to stay or the areas to stay at North Straddie?

Heading over in winter for 4-5 nights with the family (small kids).
    I was not sure if Cylinder is the place to be or main beach or something else.

Would be looking for a town house or apartment - ideally with a water view or some sort of view as we will be house bound at sleep times + from early evening.

Thanks.

2. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

Hey Brad,
    Cylinder beach has always been a favourite of mine as usually has good surf & is close to the pub etc ! The accommodation next to the pub looked pretty good last time I was there a few years ago now but has great views etc ! Maybe an option for you ?

3. mrsdawnrazor

mrsdawnrazor Member

Definitely Cylinder beach - Dunwich and Amity are nice but dont have the surf beach.

4. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Cool thanks folks.
    I have only been to straddie a long time ago and it is a bit hard to gauge on the map where is the good spots.

5. Geoffro

Geoffro Member

I would have to recommend staying further around at Point Lookout. We stayed at Point Lookout Beach Resort last October and had access to the Gorge walk, coffee shops , gelato bar, chemist and food. Walk to the beach (100 m) and a Sunday beer at the Surf club was neat. This resort is a bit more budget but fine. This beach is out of the nor-easter. Try to book the barge and your accommodation earlier and together, and save a few dollars on the $150 fee to get across. Great spot - lots of wildlife and a thriving community. Kids will love the nature - rays, dolphins, whales. The resorts around Cylinders and further west seemed to us (although we only stayed at Straddie Hotel for a few nights) a bit distant and isolated from the town at Point Lookout. Straddie hotel was a bit noisy where we were, so we moved out and found the beach resort through an agency near Point Lookout shops on the main drag called Stradbroke Dreaming I think - don't nail me on that one.

6. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Thanks Everyone.
    We settled on a place at 33 Yarrong Street. It has views but is still one level which is good as my boy is a climber but still clumsy enough to fall down stairs.
    Turns out friends of ours stayed there and had the owners number so we booked direct.
    Seems like a nice spot to spend 5 nights.