1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not what your bearings should look like

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by glow-monkey, Oct 31, 2008.

1. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

On the way to the first Australia zoo KC meet glomo started pulling to the right, I pulled up at Kilcoy and found the right rear wheel on glomo had seized and was barely turning, I turned around and limped home and pulled the hub off, this is what I found.

Here's a couple of nice pics of how a rear wheel bearing shouldnt look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A quick call to Roy and the next day new bearings arrived and I got it all fixed up. Sorry I didnt take pics of the process or what a good bearing should look like, do still have to do the left hand side though as soon as I can get a hold of a good /4 inch drive L bar or rattle gun.(I broke two 1/2 inch drive sidchrome ratchets trying to loosen the left hand retainer and still havent budged it) so will take more as i go with it.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  2. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

I've seen some shockers but nothing THAT bad!

3. glow-monkey

glow-monkey Active Member

The missing rollers were there, but fell out as soon as the stub axle was pulled, surprisingly this made no noise prior to seizing and the run to valla was fine with no noticeable change to the fuel economy before or after I replaced it. Maybe its a good add for German bearings, they worked even up to this point.

4. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

Yeah good bearings those! Just clean and grease and put them back in - good as new bro! No, better than new! :)

5. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

wow, very fortunate the wheel didn't come right off, looks like it was on its way.
    good you were able to fix it up quickly.

6. blu bay jay

blu bay jay New Member

that is one bad bearing.